]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Home

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE  September 2004

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE September 2004

Re: the CIA & Abducted Italian and Iraqi Aid Workers

maurice bazin <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:51:44 -0300

I fully agree with Herb.  I signed the appeal.
Maurice
Maurice Bazin
Rua Pau de Canela 1001
Campeche/Florianópolis
88063-505 Brasil
Tel:  55 48 237 3140

On Sep 10, 2004, at 3:33 PM, herb fox wrote:

  1.    I agree with the content of the petition.  Its usefulness
depends on
  its getting to those holding the hostages.  To whom is it being sent?

  2.    I question the appropriateness of the following statement:
  ". . . I want to say that those who kidnapped and who are threatening
  to execute these anti-war activists in Iraq are most likely in the pay
of
  the CIA, and at the very least are doing the work of the U.S.
government . . . ."
  It is certainly appropriate to write that "those who kidnapped and are
  threatening to execute these anti-war activists in Iraq are de facto
  serving the interests of the U.S. government."  But the statement
above is
  unsupportable.  All bad stuff that happens is not necessarily "most
likely in
  pay of the CIA."  Let's stick to the facts and supply corroborating
evidence
  for speculations on this listserve.
  herb fox

  Mitchel Cohen wrote:

I urge everyone to sign this petition. In addition to the statement
below,
  which I agree with and wholeheartedly add my signature, I want to say
that
  those who kidnapped and who are threatening to execute these anti-war
  activists in Iraq are most likely in the pay of the CIA, and at the
very
  least are doing the work of the U.S. government by kidnappings and
  executions directed against civilian anti-war activists.

  - Mitchel Cohen
  Brooklyn Greens / Green Party of NY State, USA

  An Appeal for the Release the Italian and Iraqi Aid Workers Abducted in
  Baghdad:

  THEY ARE NOT INSTRUMENTS OF THE OCCUPYING FORCES

  We are individuals and organizations from around the world who opposed
and
  continue to oppose the occupation of Iraq and we plead for the release
of
  two Italian and two Iraqi humanitarian workers who were abducted in
Iraq
  last September 7, 2004.

  Simona Pari and Simona Torretta, both Italians, and Ra'ad Ali Abdul
Azziz
  and Mahnoaz Bassam, both Iraqis, are members of Un Ponter Per Baghdad
  (Bridges to Baghdad) an independent Italian humanitarian organization
that
  has been working in Iraq since 1992. During the embargo, other
humanitarian
  organizations refused to operate in Iraq, Bridges defied that in the
belief
  that the suffering of civilians should not be used as a political
  bargaining chip.

  In this occupation, the United States and its coalition cynically
blurred
  the distinction between the humanitarian and the political, using aid
and
  relief as an apparatus for pacifying the Iraqis. As a result, Iraqis
have
  become increasingly and understandably suspicious of international
  humanitarian organizations. Despite the perils caused by this
confusion,
  Bridges consciously decided to continue its operations in Iraq,
convinced
  that Iraqis will see through their intentions.

  Bridges is not an instrument of the Italian government, nor of the
US-led
  coalition, to make the occupation more bearable, and therefore, more
  acceptable to the Iraqis. From the very beginning, Bridges has been
open
  and consistent with its positions: it opposed the embargo, it opposed
the
  invasion, and it opposes the occupation. In Italy, Bridges has been a
  leading critic of the government's decision to join the US-led
coalition.

  It plays a leading role in the nation-wide movement that mobilized
over a
  million Italians to march against the war in February 15, 2003, as
well as
  in various demonstrations after. Bridges has also been very active in
the
  global anti-war movement, maintaining links with various anti-war
  organizations around the world and playing a key role in establishing
the
  Occupation Watch Center in Baghdad, a center for monitoring the
occupation
  founded by anti-war organizations and coalitions from different
countries.

  Simona Turretta has spent a third of her life for Iraq; Simona Pari
joined
  her in 2003. As chief of Bridges' in-country operations, Simona
Turreta has
  been supervising projects to rehabilitate Iraq's decrepit water
  infrastructure and to repair school buildings. Among other things,
Simona
  Pari was organizing educational programs for Iraq's traumatized
children.
  Ra'ad is an Iraqi engineer who took charge of Bridges' school projects
in
  Baghdad and Basra. Manaf was involved in the social programs.

  Aside from these projects, Bridges has also helped build the capacity
of
  local Iraqi organizations to document and report cases of human rights
  abuses committed by occupation forces. In April this year, Bridges
  organized a humanitarian convoy that delivered food, water, blood, and
  medicine to civilians under siege in Fallujah. Last month, as US and
Iraqi
  "interim government forces" mounted their offensive in Najaf, Bridges
was
  also there, providing aid and assistance to Iraqis caught in the
crossfire.
  Simona, Simona, Ra'ad and Mahnoaz are not enemies of the Iraqi people.
They
  stand shoulder-to-shoulder with them in calling for an immediate end
to the
  occupation. We appeal to those holding them to release them
immediately.

  We also call on the Italian government to immediately withdraw its
  membership in the US-led coalition. We call on the United States and
the
  remaining members of the coalition to end the occupation.

  (To sign this appeal, please send an e-mail (copy this one) to

  SIGNED: Mitchel Cohen
  Organizations: Brooklyn Greens / Green Party of NY State, USA