]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Home

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE  September 2004

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE September 2004

Submission: An Open Letter to George Steinbrenner and the NY Yankees

Mitchel Cohen <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:47:32 -0400

PLEASE FORWARD AND PRINT

To: George Steinbrenner,
        owner, NY Yankees

September 16, 2004

Dear George,

Imagine my surprise when I whirled around at the peaceful anti-war rally
outside the Republican National Convention near Madison Square Garden last
week, to find a motorcycle gang in New York Yankee uniforms spurring their
motorbikes into the peaceful crowd.

In particular, one thug, wearing Babe Ruth’s #3 and a German helmet,
knocked over a pregnant woman as he kicked the sides of his bike and
slammed it further into the crowd, which had gathered in the legal “free
speech zone.”

Only later was I informed that those “bozos on bikes” were New York City
police officers. Gasp.

During the protests, I witnessed many New York Police Department personnel
acting in ways that disgraced their uniforms. And by that, I don’t mean the
NYPD blues but the famed pinstripes of the NY Yankees.

I am going to say something here that may frighten or appall many of my
friends: “I am a Yankee fan.” I’ve been a Yankee fan since Horace Stoneham
stole the NY Giants and my beloved Willie Mays out to San Francisco some 47
years ago. And I have never before seen a group of individuals besmirch
that uniform (well, if we don’t count a few late-night incidents in bars
around town). Imagine what Babe Ruth ­ or even David Wells (dare I mention
his name to you?), who loved the Babe so much that he wore his old hat and
kissed his monument behind the centerfield wall every time he came in to
pitch ­ would say if he saw someone wearing the Babe’s uniform
intentionally smash into a crowd of lawful antiwar protesters on his
motorbike, seriously injuring some of them.

Gives new meaning to “the Sultan of Swat,” doesn’t it?

Writing to the police commissioner, Ray Kelly, is a hopeless cause. But I
am hoping that the NY Yankees might better hear my protest of this abuse of
their uniforms and history, and that you rebuke those cops who in the
future should be made to wear Boston Red Sox uniforms.

At the very least, for the next large demonstration perhaps the Yankees
could supply the protesters with NY Yankee uniforms as well. Then we could
have everyone wearing the Yankee logo, with Babe Ruth coming at Derek
Jeter, Mickey Mantle swinging at Bernie Williams ­- the New York Yankees
antiwar affinity groups choreographed by Fellini. Maybe then the cries will
go out to stop this “Yankee on Yankee” violence once and for all.

More than one thousand protesters were held for 48 hours and longer at Pier
57 on the West Side, the toxic site of a former bus barn. Protesters have
re-named it “Guantanamo on the Hudson,” and many were made seriously ill by
the chemicals, asbestos and benzene. I know that former Mayor Giuliani had
offered to build the Yankees a new stadium with public funds somewhere on
the West Side; with all the Yankee uniforms around Pier 57 last week you’d
think that they were scouting out that toxic dump for the Yankees. Say it
ain’t so, George!

For many of us Greens and other environmental and antiwar activists, it’s
becoming increasingly difficult to remain a NY Yankee fan when surrounded
by thugs in NY Yankee uniforms who are beating on us, while the Yankee
management says nothing about this. My girlfriend, who had been tolerant to
a fault in allowing my late night TV fare, now insists that I turn off the
YES network’s replays of the ballgames. “How can you root for those
fascists after what they did to us?” she screams at me. She has a point.

(One of the saving graces for the Yankees among activists is that the City
Councilman in the Mets’ area of Queens is the odious Peter Vallone, Jr., a
huge hurdle to overcome if one is thinking of switching to the Mets.)

So I have one more suggestion as a means of rewarding the faithful, who
have stuck with the Yankees through thick and thin: Hold an “anti-war
demonstrators” night at the Stadium, where all those 1,821 who were
arrested last week and their antiwar supporters could come for free to a
game at Yankee Stadium and enjoy the team again. (Hint: Playoff tickets
would be ideal …. )

Oh, it would also be helpful, in that case, if we could substitute organic
tofu dogs for the Ballpark franks.

Thanks …. And GO YANKEES (I think) !

Mitchel Cohen
Brooklyn Greens,