SKIVT-L September 2004, Week 1

VALHALLA 2005 SIGNUP AND DETAILS

Leigh Daboll <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 Sep 2004 23:53:36 -0400

WELCOME TO VALHALLA POWDERCATS 2005 FROM THE SKIVT-LIST AND LEIGH DABOLL!

Having more of those restless, steep and deep powder dreams this season?

WHY JUST DREAM!!!!

Come ski or ride with Valhalla Powdercats and the SkiVermont-List as your
grand finale to the 2004-2005 season!  Located in the snow-blessed and
virtually unexplored Valhalla Range of the Selkirk Mountains near beautiful
Nelson, British Columbia, Valhalla Powdercats is gearing up for their second
full season of operation with FOUR TIMES the amount of hardcore terrain!
And, because they know our group lives and breathes deep, untracked powder
and steep lines through the trees, Lindsay, Martin and the gang have
graciously extended this special invitation, welcoming us back to close out
the season.

THE TERRAIN:

The Valhalla Mountains offer terrain that is rugged, dramatic, and just
plain less traveled than other ranges of the Selkirks.  Why?  Because these
mountains are remote - protected from overuse by their sheer ruggedness and
by the long, pristine lakes prevalent in the southeastern BC interior.
Vallhalla's cats operate up to 8,000' altitude with runs as long as 5,000
vertical feet. The accessible terrain this year consists of multiple
northeast and newer, steeper northwest-facing open bowls, couloirs, steep
pitch ramps, rockbands, and literally thousands of acres of famous Selkirk
steep tree skiing in old-growth and unique burnt stands. Average run length
is over 2,000 vertical feet. They don't have any maximum number of lifts per
day - they continue until everyone's satisfied, exhausted, or it gets dark!
While they encourage advanced skiers, beware that the terrain can be more
difficult than some other cat operations.

THE TOUR:

Valhalla is located within the world famous Valhalla powder triangle of the
Selkirk Mountains, one half hour north from our base in the funky heritage
town of Nelson, British Columbia, and one-half hour from Whitewater Resort.
Tour organizer Leigh Daboll has now arranged a group expedition in 2005
through co-owners Lindsay Hoyt and Martin Keyserlingk that simply blows away
any other similarly-priced package deal on the planet!   Be forewarned -
attendees will be expected to extend the ski day as long as possible, skiing
some of the most pristine powder, tightest, steepest trees and gnarliest
alpine plunges on the planet! To soothe those cramped muscles,  we will plan
on at least one evening soaking in the natural wonder that is Ainsworth Hot
Springs.

Leigh and Valhalla have been hard at work shaving costs in order to pull
this deal together. Up to 24 lucky guests in two snowcats will enjoy seven
nights/six days of snow riding heaven in an area five times the size of
Whistler.  All ski days will commence with a Valhalla representative
attending at our accommodations in Nelson with van transportation to and
from the ski area.  A hearty lunch on the hill each day is also included in
the deal.  Two certified guides per cat will accompany us on an daily
excursions into some of the most dramatic terrain in the B.C. interior, with
daily vertical limited only by our imagination and cardiovascular limits.

Each snowcat holds 12 guests.  I've now booked two cats for six days of
skiing.  For now, we will divide the cats into an "advanced (1st to fill)
cat" and a "standard (2nd to fill) cat."  Read carefully below how the
booking priority and price discounting are arranged in descending order,
below:

1.  Attendees from the prior year who book and pay their non-refundable
deposit by September 15, 2004;
2.  New attendees who book and pay their non-refundable deposit by September
15, 2004 on a first-come/first-served basis;
3.  Attendees who book after September 15, 2004 on a first-come/first-served
basis.

Anyone booking  and paying their non-refundable deposit by September 15,
2004 will be entitled to a substantial earlybird discount as set out later
herein.  Anyone booking after September 15, 2004 will not be entitled to the
earlybird discount.

In order to keep the cost of the trip at a minimum and in the event we are
unable to completely fill the second cat, guests in that cat will be
expected to share space with day guests from time to time. We must fill at
least 1 -1/2 cats (18 people ) to secure the fully discounted per-person
price.  In the event we cannot fill 1-1/2 cats, the leader reserves the
right is adjust the package cost according to the attendance tables set out
in this offer.

THE TOUR DATES:

Arrival:  Saturday March 19, 2005
Departure: Saturday March 26, 2005

THE ACCOMMODATIONS:

We've scored another major coup and a significant upgrade in this department
for 2005!  I have now reserved a seven day block of private double occupancy
rooms for our exclusive use at the Heritage Inn, located right on historic
Baker Street in downtown Nelson.  Each room has twin beds and access to a
large and attractive common room with fireplace, and good games and laundry
facilities.  Couples enjoy private rooms with queen size beds.  All rooms
have private washroom and bath facilities. This year, a hearty full
breakfast is included in the package!  A car is not necessary to enjoy the
town.

Note that one wing of the Heritage Inn is located above a bar, which, on
certain nights, can cause a bit a ambient noise in the rooms. However, as
some folks are fairly sensitive to noises when sleeping, for a small upgrade
fee of C$35.00 pp, you may be placed in the "non-bar wing".

AIR TRANSPORTATION AND TRANSFERS:

The most feasible and most cost effective air transportation will either be
into Spokane International Airport, Washington (about a three hour drive
from Nelson) or Calgary, Alberta.  Here are some factors to consider prior
to booking your flight.

If you plan on flying into Spokane International Airport, several airport
shuttle transfer services operate into and out of Nelson.  I would recommend
Debbie's Shuttle at a cost of US$100.00 pp for the round trip.    Note that
reservations are required which I will arrange once numbers are fixed.  All
flights must arrive in Spokane prior to 2:00 p.m on the day of arrival and
must deport no earlier than 12:00 noon on the day of departure to ensure a
spot on the shuttle.

If you choose to fly into Calgary (or one of the smaller interior BC
airports such as Kelowna or Kamloops), you will need to rent a vehicle and
roadtrip it into Nelson.  This year, I am planning to take a few extra days
to visit some other resorts on the way in and out of Nelson, including
Banff, Kicking Horse, Red and Whitewater.  Please advise if you are
interested in this option, and I will put together a rental carpool.
However, please note that both Canadian and American law prohibits a
Canadian citizen from renting a car in the United States and driving same
across the border into Canada, and vice versa.

NEW - "THE HELI OPTION"

Imagine the feeling of whisking away with three of your closest friends in a
private A-Star helicopter to ski where no one has skied before.  First
tracks - the very first tracks ever - will mark your 4000 vertical foot
descents from the nearly 9000 foot summits of remote glaciated peaks ending
only yards from the gateway to Valhalla Park.  And then imagine doing it
over and over again for an entire day.  This year, guests may choose to
upgrade to a full heli day for the all-inclusive price of CAN$835.00
(US$642.00).  See me for further details.  That's half the cost of the "no
better but better known" BC heli resorts.

WHAT DO I GET WHEN I SHELL OUT THE QUOTED PRICE?:

Everything except dinners!

+  seven (7) nights accommodations at the Heritage Inn;
+  six (6) days dawn-to-dusk, fully guided cat skiing;
+  shuttle transportation to and from the hill each day from Nelson;
+  fully accredited guiding service, avi gear and training;
+  daily full breakfast;
+  daily lunch on the hill; and
+  all taxes

SOME HELPFUL LINKS:

http://valhallapow.com/

http://www.discovernelson.com/htdocs/main.html

http://www.heritageinn.org/

http://www.hotnaturally.com/

THE COST:

Valhalla's usual reserved prices are C$320.00 pp/pd in high season.
However, because we are such nice people, and the fact the guides actually
enjoy ripping with us, the operation is again willing to cut us a great
deal.  Because of global package pricing, the total cost will vary according
to the final number of attendees.  I have quoted  prices herein from 12 (the
minimum) to a maximum of 24 attendees.  Please read the booking rules again!

The first 12 attendees who have booked, have paid their deposit by September
15, 2004, and are of sufficiently advanced ability, will be placed in the
1st Cat.  All attendees not in the first group will be placed on standby and
will forward a deposit by September 15, 2004 until six (6) attendees have
reserved the second cat.  Once that level is reached, they are then all
"in".  A further six (6) reservations will be then accepted until the 2nd
cat is full.

ATTENDEES                  CAN FUNDS                             APPROX.US
FUNDS @ US$1.OO:C$1.30 EXCH. RATE

12 (one cat)                      $1,906.88 pp
$1,452.69  pp  *note: US figure includes lodging GST rebate
18-24  (two cats)              $1,650.08 pp
$1,255.15  pp  *note: US figure includes lodging GST rebate
After Sep. 15/04               $2,227.88 pp
$1,699.62  pp  *note: US figure includes lodging GST rebate

Additional room upgrade:  CAN$35.00 plus taxes pp.

BOOKING / PAYMENT METHOD:

All attendees will be required to post a non-refundable $500.00 (Canadian
funds) deposit on Wednesday September 15, 2004.  Deposit funds may be paid
by Visa, Mastercard, money order, certified cheque, or bank draft directly
to "Valhalla PowderCats" on  that date.  PRIOR TO SEPTEMBER 14, 2004, I WILL
REQUIRE SUBMISSION OF A COMPLETE INFORMATION PACKAGE FOR EACH ATTENDEE,
INCLUDING FULL NAMES, ADDRESSES, TELEPHONE CONTACT NUMBERS, UPDATED CREDIT
CARD NUMBERS/TYPE/EXPIRY DATES, AND MODE OF TRANSFER PREFERENCE.  YOU MAY
SEND THIS INFORMATION TO EITHER MY SECURE EMAIL ADDRESS AT
[log in to unmask]  OR CALL 905-892-0569 AND PROVIDE ME WITH THE
INFORMATION DIRECTLY.  GROUP LEADER SHALL RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SLIGHTLY
ADJUST ABOVE PRICES DUE TO UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES AND EXCHANGE RATE
FLUCTUATIONS.

*ALL ATTENDEE INFORMATION MUST BE IN MY POSSESSION NO LATER THAN SEPTEMBER
14, 2004.*

The balance of funds for the Cat are paid by recognized credit card or cash
to Valhalla Powdercats on the date of arrival.  Accommodations charges are
due 30 days prior to arrival, but may be held to upon arrival via special
arrangement through me.

THERE ARE NO CANCELLATIONS OR REFUNDS!.  ACCORDINGLY, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND
TRIP CANCELLATION INSURANCE VIA GOLD/PLATINUM CARD OR PRIVATE TRIP
INSURANCE.

NO RESERVATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED OTHER THAN ACCORDING TO THE TERMS SET OUT
HEREIN.

***ALL GUESTS MUST SIGN A STANDARD "WAIVER OF LIABILITY" UPON THEIR ARRIVAL
AT VALHALLA POWDERCATS*****  GROUP LEADER ASSUMES NO LIABILITY FOR ACCIDENTS
OR LOSS*****

SEE YOU THERE!!!!!

Leigh Daboll