SKIVT-L September 2004, Week 3

Re: First Turns!

"Mark P. Renson" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:19:35 -0400

On Monday, September 20, 2004 12:01 PM, Rivernaut wrote:
> The banks were easily a foot-and-a-half higher than the highest I'd seen
> before. A local estimate had it at 2500 cfs. For comparison, at 740 cfs, the
> water level is on the low side, but still plenty enough to paddle and even
> have fun on some whitewater waves. At 2500, it seemed to have less features,
> just one humongous, mud covered freight train.

        Oh man, Dan, I think you might be understating that figure !!  I almost fell
outta' my chair when I looked up flow gages last night.  Roughly 6000 under the
covered bridge yesterday unless I'm reading something wrong !  Check out the
figure here from today alone (5400 cfs, a day later):
 http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/449/

> Which was the Farmington, just south of the Mass border (Virginia, I guess,
> by SkiVT-L standards). It's a bucolic little gem, and the water was just
> right--higher than the only other time I'd been on it (which was very
> bony)--but still quite manageable class 1 and solid 2, with 2 waves
> bordeline 2+.

        It WUZZZZ bucolic ....downstream from the Colebrook Flood Control dam system
paralleling the narrow lightly used country road ...saying "hi" to peaceful
trout fisherman ..... past the historic quaint old Hitchcock Chair Factory and
the Olde Riverton Inn.  Then, after rounding a bend a huge biblical torrent of
flood water pouring in from the right, courtesy of the unaptly named Still
River (alright, so I'm exagerrating a bit - let me have fun here as I'm a
Grasshopper at this).  It was much more intimidating than I had anticipated.
 .....but, I had Dan with me !  I'll be fine, I thought.

> The weather was gorgeous: mostly sunny, but definitely crisp and cool. The
> water was warm, and somewhere around the halfway point Mark decided to take
> a swim.

        LOL !!  Oh man, did I get hammered !!  If I recall right, I tried to get cute
in an eddy next to some pushy water and continued to have the toughest meanest
 spill I ever had.  It was ugly, especially when my helmet scraped some rocks
below the surface.  Fortunately, I remember the rules of "you have more time
than you think" and then the progression trinity of boat-paddle-victim as I
rode feet first several hundred yards down the rapids 'til I finally reached
safety.  When I got home last night, I turned on the NFL highlights and saw
some poor quarterback get buried under well over a half ton of steroid soaked
beef and thought "so what, that's chicken sh*t compared to what I went through
today".  I was fine at the end though.  Remember ......I had Dan with me, he
took care of me!
        After he retreived my boat and paddle, Dan consoled me and encouraged me to
get my composure a little longer before jumping back in.  He then gave me some
advice which will be hardcoded into my iron head as a mantra:  "Mark, you knows
who'se boss, right? ", to which I replied "it sure as hell ain't me", to which
he continued "The river's the boss".  Good thing I had Dan with me.

> Mostly we paddled along, practicing eddy turns and peel-outs, taking
> in the stunningly beautiful, in an English countryside sort of way, scenery
> and wildlife. For me, the ride was sort of a milestone. I've been pushing
> myself mostly this year, on water that's challenging. This was a step back,
> and after my usual initial unsteadiness, I started getting in a groove and
> trying all sorts of little casual maneuvers (mostly turns, 360s, and
> backwards travel in the middle of 2- whitewater) that had previously been
> Big Deals.

        Ahem, he also did a well executed Eskimo Roll, just for practice.

> Mark charged through the biggest waves he'd ever done and came
> out grinning.

        Nervous laughter ?

> Also watched him execute a beautiful ferry to avoid one of the
> many, many strainers on the river after Ivan's wind.

        Ya' know, it was not spectacular and it was just good basic technique and
strategy, but it was one of the best things I had ever done on a river.  On the
other had, often during the day I got too close to some overhanging trees
dangling in the high water - I must stay further away from those.

> P.S. Mark has promised he will no longer, ever, refer to the Hous as the
whose.

        It's that word ......Hous is so close to Whose.  So many of us have been
changed by that one historic post made nearly 8 years ago to the day.  That
river made a Whose of me yesterday.

        Yeah, I've been slowly picking this sport up over time.  Years ago, I took a
whitewater rafting trip on the upper Hudson in April.  I think Sharon mentioned
something about running this strecth a few weeks ago.  Sweet stretch of water.
 I had a great time.  A few years later, I took another trip on the Kennebec.
 To me, that was "been there, done that" and I was not excited that time.  But,
towards the end of the trip, I saw some kayakers.  They were in their own boats
with their own paddles doing their own thing and having the ability to explore
the river on their own, yet they were paddling around as a team.  Individuality
and camaraderie at once - the best of both Worlds; who could ask for anything
more !  I said to myself "Now THAT'S the way to do it".

        I did get instruction this Summer on the Deerfield from Janet (no, not that
Janet;  this one did not have facial hair and glasses) of Zoar Outdoor.  She's
a real live River Rat and I highly recommend her as do others.  She seemingly
knows everyone on the Deerfield and has been instructing for 20+ years.  One
thing she told me is that there are now Instructors that she instructed, hence
she's psyched about getting to know people on the river who are "Second
Generation pupils" of hers.  Too cool ....that seemed so cool and that said a
lot about her;  about giving back to a sport and really "spreading 'The Word' "
and watching the sport flourish.  I was impressed.

        One more thing:  at the end of our day, Dan fixed us some (alright everyone,
on "3") 1 - 2 - 3: MARTINIS !

        Good thing I had Dan with me.

Mark,
Paddling Grasshopper