]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Home

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE  October 2004

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE October 2004

Re: PT/TP Sept 2004 The role of revolutionaries in the 2004 elections

Mitchel Cohen <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 01:52:22 -0400

While I agree with the general sentiment of this statement (even though it
leaves out all the environmental issues, and "what is making us sick to
begin with"), I find the following sentence to be problematic:

 > Revolutionaries need to keep pounding on the need for a class party that
will fight in the interests of the workers. <

While I am not opposed to such a class party (even though from this
statement the need for that particular kind of formation, as opposed to
other radical forms, is far from obvious or proven here), what is
problematic to me is the concept that we have to keep vocalizing the "need"
for such a party instead of (to coin a phrase) just DOING it, taking part
in building collectives involved in direct action, etc.

I always have found those "therefores" to be troubling -- you know, These
are the problems, this is what we would like, THEREFORE we need a party to
achieve it, and THEREFORE we need to squawk endlessly about how we "need"
to form one .... or two .... or three .....

Too much whining for me.

Mitchel Cohen
Brooklyn Greens/Green Party of NY