]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCHOOL-IT Home

SCHOOL-IT  October 2004

SCHOOL-IT October 2004

Re: Servers, Virus Protection and Vendors

Dave Tisdell <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:21:52 -0400

Margaret,
What kind of budget do you have?
For the money, I think Norton Antivirus Corporate edition is one of the
best available. You can automate updates so that only 1 host goes to the
internet to get them and then the updates are distributed to the rest of
the hosts on the network. It has centralized management. You can view
what is going on on any machine from a central point.
If moneys is tight, Linux may be your best bet as it is very flexible
supporting Windows clients via Samba, Macs via netatalk, and Linux/Unix
clients via NFS. It also makes an excellent web, proxy, mail, etc.
server. It is one of the most flexible OS's on the market.
The Novell SLA is also an excellent choice. It gives you Novell
Netware, Suse Linux Enterprise Server with edirectory plus 2 other
Novell products for $2.00 per student.  We use that here along with
Linux.
We have standardized on HP/Compaq Proliant servers because of their
long partnership with Novell. Dell also has a partnership with Novell.
For a small environment, a Mac OS X server could also be an excellent
choice especially if you are using Macs. They are fairly easy to setup
and maintain.
You may notice that I did not endorse M$. I must admit a certain bias
against that company. They have been the poster child for security
issues and they do things to try and force you into expensive upgrades.
I am not a big fan.
As far as vendors go, the state publishes a list of state contracts
that have generally good pricing. It is tough to beat pricing offered by
ASAP software but there service has often been poor. I do hear there is
a new rep for VT that is quite good but I don't have any first hand
experience. Dell, Gateway, HP/Compaq, and IBM all have state contract
pricing. I have heard that Apple does as well but I haven't seen it
listed on the state's web site (I forget the url. If I find it, I'll
post it). Hope this helps.
Dave

David Tisdell. Computer Coordinator
Mt. Mansfield Union High School
211 Browns Trace
Jericho, VT 05465
802-899-4690 (Voice)
802-899-2904 (Fax)
[log in to unmask] (e-mail)

Hello,

This is Margaret Cintorino, the new tech coordinator for the
Bennington-Rutland Supervisory Union.  I've really been hired to do
tech
integration, but I find myself in the position of having to do some
research
to help  a couple of schools establish networks.  So these are my
questions:

What server would you recommend for a network that's going to have
about
fifty computers?  Why would you recommend this?  What are the
advantages and
drawbacks?

What sort of virus protection would you recommend at the network
level?
Why?

Who are some good vendors in the state for hardware, software purchases
for
PCs?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Margaret Cintorino

This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  If this e-mail contains student information and you are not entitled to access such information under FERPA, please notify the sender.  Federal regulations require that you destroy this e-mail without reviewing it and you may not forward it to anyone.