SKIVT-L October 2004, Week 3

Re: allrighty, then Gatorkuche

Tag Gross <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:34:26 -0400

If you are only capable of looking at complex issues in the context of a
sound bite or anecdote such as the now infamous McDonald's Hot cofee case
then you will be easily mislead and never understand.

The single biggest reason that insurance rates have gone up is BAD
INVESTMENTS by the insurance companies. They have lost their shirts in
companies like Global Crossing and Worldcom.

In terms of medical malpractice claims specifically, Doctors themselves
would be able to lower those premiums themselves if they were willing to get
rid of the very small percentage of incompetent doctors who are responsible
for 95% of the claims. But they have refused the necessary peer review to do
that.

If the article that Jonathan posted is too long to digest then just spend
the 30 seconds it takes to read this:

>>According to the National Center for State Courts, a research group funded
by state courts, personal injury and other tort filings, when controlled for
population growth, have declined nationally by 8 percent since 1975, and
have been falling steadily in real numbers since 1996. The numbers are even
more dramatic in places with rapid population growth, like Texas, where the
rate of tort filings fell 37 percent between 1990 and 2000. Even in liberal
California, the rate of filings has plummeted 45 percent over the past
decade. And those overly sympathetic juries Newsweek derides as so eager to
dole out big bucks to injured victims?

In 2001, they voted against plaintiffs in 75 percent of all medical
malpractice trials, according to the federal government's Bureau of Justice
Statistics (BJS). <<

So once again the anecdotal nature of Mr. FTO's just posted "frontline"
expereince doesn't carry water. Is the BJS and Center for State Courts hack
journalists as well?

That's the end of Mr. FTO's and Skip's argument. They live in a world of
sound bites and anecdotes that has little basis in reality. I'm sure that
Killingtoin has paid out some huge sums and rightfully so that had to do
with their negligent conduct.

FTO went on his rant:

>Then
again, who am I to expect the truth from someone who will say anything to
get elected? (Such as referring to the sexuality of his opponent's daughter
in front of the same millions of Americans, for example.<

Did you happen to see the VP debate? Edwards brought it up as well and
Cheney thanked him for his comments! The Cheney daughter is not a "child"
either. She is an adult who both Cheneys have repeatedly spoken about in a
futile attempt to
justify their involvement in supporting the President's policy. Really
shameful.

> No, wait a minute,
I forgot...GW has principles. Vive la difference!)<

What kind of principles would guide a man to actually attempt to write
discrimination into the constitution that would effect his closest advisors
child?

.