I have a verizon cell phone with internet access. with it, i can
1. send and receive email
2. send and receive instant messages
3. browse the web (especially good for weather, news)
4. attach it to my pc and use it as a modem.
1. the modem service the last time i used it was a mere 14.4 kbps. the
phone is advertised as a 3g service phone (300 - 500 kbps) but that
level of service (is/was) not available in vermont - or in western
pennsylvania - where i used it.
2. it doesn't have a built in camera.
If and when Verizon 3G arrives in Vermont, it will probably be nice ...
maybe not as fast as DSL or Cable, but not painful.
I also have a sharp zaurus (linux), a dell axim, and a sony clie, all
with 802.11, and they works pretty well in a few spots downtown, etc.
Generally, the zaurus is nice because it is a "real" computer, and the
sony is very nice because it has a camera, a nice screen, etc, etc,
If you don't need a camera, I'd suggest the sharp zaurus. If you need a
camera, go for a cell phone with camera.