Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ISOGEOCHEM Home

ISOGEOCHEM  December 2004

ISOGEOCHEM December 2004

Re: EuroVector LAS

"Wassenaar,Len [NHRC]" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:17:02 -0600

Natacha - we have had this occur before. It is absolutely critical that your new SGE syringe has free play in plunger movement - some new ones have far too much resistance and should be returned.  Always test your new SGE syringes for free play before installing.

Also, the fact that you are running salty samples does not help either, as over time the salt can cause syringe plungers to stick or jam.  Others on this list have suggested various rinse combinations to help alleviate salt buildup and memory effects - search the isogeochem archives.

The later problem seems a bit more serious and could signal other hardware problems besides a sticky needle - I would remove the old syringe and get a new one that moves freely. Before installing it reinitialize the entire LAS and run the borders mark-out procedure as per the initial set up in the manual. Install the new syringe. See what happens.  If that does not work and you get the same problem again then you may be in for a service call.

Len