Re: Pale Male nest distroyed

Nancy <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Dec 2004 06:59:33 -0500

I don't often respond to any messages from the bird list, and I do
appreciate different opinions on things.
While I agree that the loss of habitat, destruction of birds and nests are
all very disturbing...
this is disturbing as well.

Yes, Pale Male is a celebrity, what is better than a celebrity to bring
attention to some of the problems our native birds endure?

How many people have looked at this nest and the young being raised there?
Birdwatchers and passerbys alike took an interest in this BIRD. How many
non-birders may have become even casual birders after watching this one
bird? If an interest is sparked, the quest to learn more begins. They may
buy their first pair of binoculars, their first field guide, and from there
they may learn about the habits and problems birds face in their quest to
multiply.

And yes, Pale Male was on the national news - what better way to expose
people to the wrongs that are done to birds in general! If even one person
comes to a better understanding of it all, isn't that a positive thing?

Overall, while it is sad and disturbing that this has happened, hopefully
there will be a positive gain and interest in birds of all kinds.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Will Raup" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 12:38 AM
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Pale Male nest distroyed

As sad of tale as it is, keep in mind that the birds were not injured.
Chances are they will attempt to nest again.  As much as we love birds,
there has to be a line between humans and birds, especially in a city
setting.

Much more devastating in my opinion is when farmers hay their fields in
June, thus killing many young Bobolinks, Upland Sandpipers, Savannah,
Grasshopper and Henslow's Sparrows.  Not only do they lose their nests, but
their habitat as well.  A double whammy.  And then people wonder why their
numbers have dropped so much over the past 50 years.  But, there are no
articles on the destructions of their nests in the NY Times or on CNN, no
movies made about them.  These birds just die.  In this case of 'Pale Male'
he was evicted, he and his mate and their off spring were not killed.  I
think the removal of the nest has been somewhat over blown.  Seems to me to
be more important issues, than where a pair of Red Tailed Hawks are going to
nest next year.

Will Raup
Manager, NE Crafts Guild
www.necraftsguild.com<http://www.necraftsguild.com/>