ISOGEOCHEM December 2004

Re: another Isodat issue

Mark Monk <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:21:56 -0500

We do not run any anti-virus software (our IRMS computer is not hooked
to the internet) and we have not had the problems you are describing.
We are also running ISODAT 2.0 with SP 1.39.  I heard somewhere, maybe
it was from our Finnigan engineer, that anti-virus software can create
problems with ISODAT.  I would recommend not running anti-virus software
for a longer period and see if your problem disappears.

Regards,

Mark

______________________________________
Mark Monk
Geochemist - Aquatic Organic Geochemistry
Stroud Water Research Center
970 Spencer Road
Avondale, PA 19311
Tel:  610-268-2153 x273
Fax: 610-268-0490

-----Original Message-----
From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Jonathan Wynn
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 4:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ISOGEOCHEM] another Isodat issue

Paul and other ISOGEOCHEMers,

A quick note to say that we have had a similar recurring problem (Isodat
entirely crashing, and then not running).  What happens here
is: (1) one of the application programs has an error (usually something
like "instruction at xxxxxxxxxx, referenced memory at xxxxxxxxxx. The
memory could not be read"), (2) the software crashes, then (3) every
time one tries to open any of the applications, it begins opening the
ISODAT system (waiting hourglass and flash screen), then crashes with a
similar error message.  There seems to be no way to restore the system
except by reverting to a backup; this is not only tedious, but
problematic because things like methods and sequence files created since
the backup are not restored.  [Note: software is ISODAT 2.0, was running
S.P. 1.39, but seems to occur with more recent patches, up to 2.34].

Unfortunately, I have no solutions, but am working on two theories that
may lead to the problem: (1) I've experimented with turning the virus
protection software off during 1 month--there were no problems during
this period.  Maybe it is a multitasking issue that comes up during a
simultaneous virus-check and file operation?  (2)  We are using a
separate hard drive partition for data storage, which may be a
non-standard way of running.  Maybe there is some related problem?

Maybe this is not a solution, but may contribute to understanding of the
problem.  I'd be interested if others have similar problems, and
certainly anyone with a solution.

Thanks,

Jonathan Wynn.
University of St. Andrews

On Nov 30, 2004, at 8:17 PM, Paul Eby wrote:

> Listmembers,
>
> Using Isodat, I occasionally run into a problem where Isodat won't
> run: no
> error message, just a second or two of the little hourglass icon and
> then nothing (this is with all Isodat modules ie acquisition,
> instrument control, workspace etc).
>
> I can always get it to run again using the version handler to restore
> a back up, but this is tedious. Have other found this same problem,
> and perhaps have an easier solution?
>
> Paradoxically, I've found that backing up the system using the version

> handler can sometimes cause this problem in the first place.
>
> Paul Eby
> University of Victoria

Department of Geography and Geosciences
Irvine Building, University of St. Andrews
St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland, KY16 9AL
United Kingdom

phone: +44 (0)1334 463936
fax: +44 (0)1334 463949