]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  December 2004, Week 1

MEDLIB-L December 2004, Week 1

SUMMARY: Role in Patient Education (Lengthy)

Cheryl Anderson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Dec 2004 11:15:09 -0600

Thanks to everyone who sent me a response...I received quite a few (and
also a number of librarians offering to talk with me personally about their
roles.....of which I make take them up on at a later date.)

Here's a summary (as brief as I can make it) of some of the responses I
received:

During the past year, we've implemented a comprehensive guide for patients
and their families, installed computers for patient use in some of the
family lounges in the hospital.  We've implemented a GE Patient Education
Channel on our patient tv's as well as having a link on our Intranet for
our staff.  We've purchased a CD-ROM product with discharge instructions
for our patients that archives the information they receive upon dismissal
from the hospital.  All of what we do, however, is approved by our nursing
council and our oversight committee.
I am responsible for maintaining the consumer health collection of 1000+
books, videos and health newsletters.  We created a brochure for the
library and have distributed it all around the hospital in wiaing rooms,
info desks, cafeteria, and any other department responding to our e-mail.
In addition, I have been attending multidisciplinary rounds for the past
four months.  I have provided health information for staff and patients.
I (and a fellow library staff member) play a rather large role in the
Patient and Family Education Committee since the library is responsible for
the hospital intranet and many of the patient education materials are
posted there.  As a clinical librarian, I spend a lot of time in patient
care areas and report to the committee any patient education needs that
come up.  I also do a lot of searching for appropriate mateirals that are
either used as references for handouts created by the clinical staff on the
committee or posted directly.  We have developed a couple of patient
specific intranet sites with consumer health resources.  Along with the
rest of the committee, library staff reviews new patient ed materials for
readability, format, etc...
My hospital's PEC approves all patient handouts for literacy level and
clarity.  I have brought up the issue of health literacy with my committee
and will sponsor a combined medical/nursing grand rounds on this topic next
year.  Library is also responsible for our educational videos-on-demand
patient TV system.  I have also been in charge of redesigning the patient
education page on the hospital's Intranet.
Our committee is rather narrowly focused on writing patient ed materials
and reviewing nursing forms.  My role has been to promote concepts of
"health literacy." I have an article coming out about this at some future
date.
I am primarily on the Health Education Committee as a resource person to
help them evaluate "information resources" and present the "consumer's
point of view."
Our library partners with the education nurses to provide good quality
patient information, sources for pamphlets on diagnoses, and put packets
together for unusual requests.
Recently we have created a single documentation sheet for all 3 of our
hospitals to document patient ed in the chart.  We created a guide to
writing pt. ed materials and my personal job is to get a title list of all
the handouts we have throughout the organization in a list and posted on
the library website.  Later we will use a document management program and
put the actual PDF formats on the website.  My staff will index these and
assign subject headings.  I give support to the committee by bringing
articles on pt. ed and helping determine readability.
I have worked with departments to identify the topics on which they need
patient ed materials, found resources to update their older materials.  In
a couple of cases, there were multiple handouts on a topic, each having
some piece of infromation we really wanted to impart. So, I worked with an
RN in the appropriate specialty and developed a new handout of our own that
included all the right info.  We also strive to coordinate the resources
distributed by different departments.
We're trying to get all our pt. ed handouts online.  My job is to make a
list by title and post in on my website.
I set up and maintain the P/F Ed intranet sit.  I have a lead role in the
closed circuit TV system we have (not the technical aspect), include the
P/F Comm budget as part of mine, and have a lot to do with writing
guidelines for use of materials in the production of in-house P/F Ed
materials, etc.
I have given a presentation on finding health info to use for writing
patient materials, promoting the library, notable consumer health websites,
CINAHL, and prof. orgs. rather than writing just from experience.  I have
written a patient education handout on reliable websites to search for
health info.  My next project will be developing a spreadsheet for keeping
track of 400+ patient ed handouts.  Attending meetings give me the
opportunity to promote the professional library's services to committee
members, promote the consumer library to staff who are working closely with
patients, and gives me the opportunity to develop relationships with nurses
who are not regular library users.
I work very closely with the Patient Education Coordinator. I have been
invited to join the Patient Ed Advisory Groups (both Inpatient and
Outpatient.)  Through these groups I have been able to determine how the
library can facilitate their patient info needs.  I have shared MedlinePlus
as well as other sources of patient ed materials from our bundled
databases.  I have put together a toolkit for accessing the patient
education tools.  I am also a member of a community partnership on Health
Literacy along with our Pat. Ed Coord.  The most important part of working
with pat. ed. is finding out what their needs are and supplying them with
those information resources.  They will determine what is proper for their
patients.  You can also help to provide them with cultural diversity and
literacy information.
I keep the pt. ed. secion of our book collection current and pass along
citations to really good articles on pt. ed. that come out.  Once in a blue
moon, my librarian skills are truly needed...we recently revamped the
Health & Safety section of the hospital's external web site, and I was
asked to come up with a broad classification scheme for the pamphlets and
flyers.

Cheryl Anderson
Medical Librarian
Rush North Shore Medical Center
9600 Gross Point Road
Skokie, IL 60076

847-933-6236  ph
847-933-3830  fax

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This E-mail message and any attachments to it are
intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended
recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to
intended recipient, you may not disclose, copy or disseminate this
information.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender through a reply E-mail and delete the E-mail from your files.