MUNINET January 2005

Re: Secretary Election Proposals

Ann Webster <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:11:02 -0500

Middlebury will not be able to make the meeting on the 2nd.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Snider [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 12:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Secretary Election Proposals

I have to agree with Colleen and Annette.  As time goes on we have to be
willing to consider change.  It is much better for us if we are part of the
solution than having someone else decide how we will deal with the issue at
hand.

Fortunately, I have a small town and I don't see same day registration as
being a problem for us.  Motor voter however has taken up many hours of
time.  I would imagine that the time saved on motor voter would more than
compensate for the extra time spent on same day registration, even in the
larger towns.  State wide checklist should deter voter fraud, hopefully.

As far as changing the date of the primary, there needs to be more time
between when we get the ballots from the printers and the General Election.
There just isn't enough time to get the early ballots out to those in our
armed forces and get them back to us.  The only way to give more time is to
have the primary earlier in the year.   Just as a thought, having it in May
or June might be better than early or mid August as it would make it easier
for those clerks who plan on attending Salve each August.

Sorry, I will not be able to make the meeting on the 2nd in Barre but
thought I would just give you my two cents.

Gary