Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Home

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE  January 2005

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE January 2005

Boxer's Spine Gets Her Cut Off at the Knees and three actions to thank and support her

Wren Osborn <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:24:11 -0800

The following commentary in the LA Times reminds us that we can't do
enough to thank Senator Boxer for representing all Americans who are
desperate for a voice in Washington, DC. Here are some ideas for
expressing your gratitude to Senator Boxer:

1. Join Senator Boxer's Pac for Change: http://www.pacforachange.com/
Pac for a Change is a leadership Political Action Committee led by
United States Senator Barbara Boxer.
Senator Boxer formed Pac for a Change to change the direction the
right-wing extremists in Congress are taking our country.
Senator Boxer's Pac for a Change is an effective, progressive
organization that supports the basic values that a majority of
Americans share -- basic human rights, economic justice for all and
social justice.
This is critically important time for our nation. We need your help. So
please join today, and tell your friends to join as well.

2. Call or write Senator Boxer to express your thanks for her efforts
to force the nation to actually debate the need for election system
reform and the qualifications of Condoleeza Rice and Alberto Gonzales.

Senator Boxer's Washington Office:
112 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510-0505
Phone: (202) 224-3553
Fax: (415) 956-6701

Senator Boxer's webmail:
http://www.congress.org/congressorg/webreturn/?url=http://
boxer.senate.gov

You might also want to cc your Senators to let them know how much you
admire Senator Boxer and to let them know they failed you for voting
against the motion to reject the Ohio electors on January 6th or if
they voted on to confirm Condoleeza Rice and Alberto Gonzales.

3. Tonight on Air America's Mike Malloy show he announced that someone
(Stacey Davies) arranged with Coast to Coast Florist a deal for people
who want to send Senator Boxer 3 roses on Valentines Day. Call
888-501-ROSE, it's a dedicated line to send Valentine's Day roses to
Senator Boxer. The charge is $10 for 3 roses, the delivery fee will be
covered by Stacey Davies. A thank you note will accompany the roses.
Mike Malloy read the thank you note on air - it was very appropriate.
Orders must be placed by 2/12/05 and all the roses ordered will be
delivered together to Senator Boxer at her Washington, DC office on
Valentines Day. I think Mike Malloy said Stacey Davies email address
is [log in to unmask], if you want to try and verify this
information. Unfortunately, I can't vouch for the spelling of Stacey's
(Stacy's?) name. While Coast to Coast Florist has a website, this
arrangement is only available by calling: 888-501-ROSE.

THANKS!
Betsy Salter
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-
carlson27jan27,0,655679.column

MARGARET CARLSON

Boxer's Spine Gets Her Cut Off at the Knees
Margaret Carlson

January 27, 2005
You wouldn't know it from reading the newspapers, but Sen. Barbara
Boxer served her country valiantly last week. In her grilling of
Secretary of State-designate Condoleezza Rice, Boxer finally named the
elephant in the hearing room, which is more than the war itself. It's
the lies that got us there.
Finally, a national television audience could watch a member of
Congress ask tough questions in language that didn't pussyfoot around.
   From all the commissions, studies and news reports, we now know pretty
much what Rice knew and when she knew it. What we don't yet have is an
explanation for why Rice didn't tell us what she knew and at times even
told us the opposite.
Boxer asked Rice if "your loyalty to the mission . to sell this war
overwhelmed your respect for the truth." Rice, without explaining a
thing, coolly accused Boxer of impugning her integrity. No explanation
of why her stories of yellowcake uranium, aluminum tubes and a
potential Saddam Hussein mushroom cloud did not constitute an
(over)selling of the war.
For her trouble, Boxer was blasted - even by those who agreed with her
- not so much on substance but on style. Sen. Robert Byrd gets called
"irascible." Why can't women get called irascible? It's so much nicer
than the other words we get called.
Women don't have a lot of leeway in how they comport themselves. Could
any woman behave on TV like Bob Novak or Bill O'Reilly and get her own
show? Female pundits are rarely called "sharp and incisive," only
"shrill and strident." Women in politics have less margin for error.
During his 30 years as a columnist, I can remember William Safire
calling only one person a "congenital liar," and it just happened to be
Hillary (D-Whitewater).
In the Senate, you still hear women described as "ladylike." The models
for admission to the club are Sens. Elizabeth Dole and Dianne
Feinstein, in their pumps and matronly dresses. If a woman takes on a
man, she must do it in florid language or behind closed doors. If she
takes on another woman, she'll be labeled a catfighter, unless she's a
white-haired grandmother in triple strand pearls and does it in verse.
(Remember when Barbara Bush called Geraldine Ferraro something that
"rhymes with witch"?)
In a chamber where they still call each other "esteemed colleague" at
the oddest times - as they were killing off Trent Lott, for instance -
it was as if Boxer had said "liar, liar, pants on fire," when she
hadn't said anything of the sort. If only Boxer could be a couple
inches taller, have a deeper voice, do something with her hair - and
be, as Henry Higgins sang, more like a man? Well, Sen. John Kerry
(D-Mass.), seated a few seats down, is 6 feet 4 with a basso profundo
and the best hair in the business, and he couldn't land a punch. Mr. "I
Voted For It Before I Voted Against It" lacked what Boxer showed:
spine, and the simple courage to call "misinformation" by its right
name.
But all she got for it was the pasting of a lifetime. Sen. John Cornyn
(R-Texas) said such Democratic foolishness risked "adopting our enemy's
view of the world." Even Boxer's supporters deducted points for style
without adding any for degree of difficulty. She was ridiculed in a
skit on "Saturday Night Live," looking like a homeless person with gray
hair flying, ranting at the cool, composed, perfectly turned-out Rice.
The Los Angeles Daily News accused Boxer of embarrassing herself with
uncivil bombast. "The edge in her voice was jarring," wrote the San
Francisco Chronicle. The Washington Post's Colbert King took on Boxer
for "slurring Rice." In blog- land, Boxer was called, among other
things, "old, burnt out, shrill and saggy looking."
Perhaps a more diplomatic interrogation could have saved herself some
grief. But it's hard to find that pitch-perfect voice within the range
of civility on these subjects. On Wednesday, the U.S. suffered its
biggest one-day loss in Iraq. The war's body count is at 1,400.
Insurgents vow a bloodbath on Sunday. In Washington, Bush, Cheney,
Rumsfeld and Rice sail on, and everybody's mad at Barbara Boxer.
If you want other stories on this topic, search the Archives at
latimes.com/archives.

Article licensing and reprint options

Copyright 2005 Los Angeles Times