CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING OVERCOMES RESIDENTS OF 500 SOUTH PROSPECT
STREET; ONE DEAD, SIX HOSPITALIZED
One person is dead and six have been hospitalized following an incident of
carbon monoxide poisoning at 500 South Prospect Street in Burlington.
The carbon monoxide leak is believed to have been caused by a problem
within the heating system of the building, which is part of the Redstone
Apartment complex. Redstone Apartments are located on University of
Vermont land leased to a private company that owns and operates the
The victims have been transported to medical facilities in Boston,
Syracuse, and Montreal for treatment. Several others, including a UVM
police officer who responded to the scene, have also received treatment
and have been released.
The victims' names will be released after the families have been notified.
The 11-building Redstone complex has roughly 200 tenants, primarily UVM
students. As a precaution, all occupants of the complex are being
evacuated for at least 24 hours, or until the source of the problem has
been clearly identified. All residents of the complex are being housed at
the Sheraton and at other local hotels as needed. Residents and their
families may call 656-3131 for further information.
"We are shocked and saddened by this tragic situation, and our thoughts
are with the families of the victims," said Thomas Gustafson, vice
president for campus and student life. "Our first concern now is the
safety of all residents of the Redstone Apartment complex. We are taking
every step we can to understand what happened and to take appropriate