]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

UVMWOMENSSOCCER Home

UVMWOMENSSOCCER  January 2005

UVMWOMENSSOCCER January 2005

Vermont Student-Athletes Continue To Excel In the Classroom

UVM Sports Information <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Womens Soccer Mailing List <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:40:00 -0500

Vermont Student-Athletes Continue To Excel In the Classroom
January 18, 2005

BURLINGTON, Vt. - Student-Athletes at the University of Vermont enjoyed another
strong semester in the classroom this past fall. The athletic department as a
whole posted a fall semester grade-point average of 3.08, which is an
improvement over the previous semester. The department-wide GPA is higher than
the overall student body mark of 2.96.

Vermont had 16 of its 20 teams (80 percent) on campus earning a 3.0 or better
over that time period with two others just missing the mark by five
one-hundredths of a point. Nearly two-thirds of the student-athletes earned
better than a 3.0, while 46 earned a 3.8 or better, including 11
student-athletes who recorded a perfect 4.0. Ten different teams had an athlete
with a 4.0, while softball and swimming had two each.

The women's cross country team led the way with a team GPA of 3.42, while the
top team on the men's side was also the cross country squad (3.19). The
Catamount women's teams had an overall GPA of 3.22 and the men's finished at
2.94.

“We are so proud of our student-athletes and the way in which they conduct
themselves in the athletic arena, in the community, and particularly in the
classroom,” said Dr. Robert Corran, director of athletics. “They truly
represent the very best in intercollegiate athletics. We are so fortunate to
have tremendous faculty, coaches, and staff who provide exceptional expertise,
guidance, and support to our student-athletes.”

Earlier this season, sophomore Amy Cochran (Keene, N.H.) was named to the 2004
CoSIDA Academic All-District I Women's Soccer First Team by a vote of the
College Sports Information Director's Association, and also earned ESPN
Academic All-American Third Team honors.

Vermont student-athletes have recorded a GPA of 3.00 or above in each of the
last three years: 3.10 in 2003-04, 3.053 in 2002-03 and 3.04 in 2001-02.

Vermont Athletic Communications