SKIVT-L January 2005, Week 1

Jay Peak, VT 27DEC04 (Images)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 3 Jan 2005 07:25:22 -0700

One of the nice things about heading back to New England for the holidays
was that Ty would (hopefully) get a chance to play in the snow.  Although we
do get valley snow in the Bitterroot of Montana, it pales in comparison to
what we get in Vermont.  So far this season the Bitterroot had only had a
couple of 1 inch snowfalls before we left for the holiday break.  We arrived
in the Boston area on Dec 22nd to only a few patches of snow, which were
quickly washed away by the deluge received on the evening of the 23rd.
Fortunately, winter returned on the 26th as an ocean effect snow event began
blasting the Massachusetts coast.  By mid morning, 2-3 inches had
accumulated at Erica’s house south of Boston, and we were able to go out in
the yard and have a snowball fight.  The snow was quite dry however, so
making snowballs took a bit of work.  This event was only supposed to drop a
dusting of snow on the areas up north, but the steady, light snow continued
all the way on our drive up to Burlington.  At my parent’s place in
Shelburne, we received about 3-4 inches of the same dry snow.  I checked the
hydrology readings to get a little better estimate of the snow density, and
found that the Smuggler’s Notch, Jay Peak, and Mt. Mansfield weather
stations gave values of 5.8, 8.0, and 9.0% H2O respectively.

I got in touch with Chris, who was staying at the Sugarbush ski house that
evening, and he said the ‘bush was expecting as much as 5-10 inches of
accumulation.  We also got in touch with Dave, and set a tentative plan of
skiing Sugarbush the next day (depending on how the snow actually fell).
Early the next morning, Dave called from Boston to let me know that he
wasn’t going to be able to make it.  The Boston area had been slammed with
snow (I heard reports of 12-20 inches) and he said it was going to take him
so long to drive in the snow, that it just wasn’t going to be worth it.  I
contacted Chris a little later, and he updated me on the ski area snowfall
totals.  He said Sugarbush was only reporting 3-5 inches of new snow, but
Jay Peak was reporting 12-14 inches.  Sugarbush was our preference, but it
was hard to argue with a foot of new snow, so Chris picked me up and we
headed north to Jay Peak.

The temperature was 8 F when Chris picked me up, and dropped down to 2 F by
the time we reached the base area of Jay Peak.  We knew it was going to be a
pretty cold day, although I took comfort in knowing that it was at least 20
degrees warmer than a day I’d spent there once with James (-20 F with a wind
chill of -80 F).  I was happy to find out that I could use my Vermont
driver’s license to get a $37 lift ticket (don’t lose your Vermont license
when you move out of state if you can help it).  We arrived at nearly
lunchtime, so I knew fresh tracks were going to be a challenge to find.  I
wanted to go for quality over quantity anyway, and explore the area beyond
Beaver Pond Glade.  We rode the “Green Mountain Freezer” Quad which clearly
lived up to its nickname.  We got off the lift and found that the unloading
zone was a horrible surface of ice, since the fierce wind had blown away
much of the new powder.  Fortunately, once we got onto Ullr’s, we found a
nice packed powder surface.  The final steeper pitch leading down to Beaver
Pond Glade had seen its powder blown away by the stiff winds however, and
the surface was composed of refrozen boiler plate.  We found that if we cut
left onto Poma Line, we could ski some bumps that were holding onto a bit
more snow.

We passed by the signs marking the ski area boundary, and side-stepped up a
bit until we found an offshoot from the main hiking trail.  Not knowing the
area, we wanted to take it conservatively at first.  We poked around in the
terrain below and found plenty of steep tree lines, which were cut, but far
less extensively than many of the typical Jay Peak glades.  Unfortunately,
this terrain was really too steep for the density of snow we’d received.  We
found ourselves quickly cutting down to, and skiing on, the crusty base of
old snow.  Coverage was good in general, partly due to the impenetrable
base, but areas of rock and sticks were evident in the steep ledgy areas.
It was tough to get a really good gauge of the snowfall in the area since it
seemed that some wind had penetrated the trees, but a few checks revealed
anywhere from 6-12 inches of new snow where we were.  The main lines were
certainly tracked, but we found some untracked lines as we explored.  The
powder skiing was actually better as we got into the mellower terrain
further down, where you could avoid touching down as hard while turning.
Eventually the glades ended, and we merged into the trails for a gentle
glide back to the base.  The traverse was relaxing (and a bit slow due to
all the new snow) on skis, but I was cringing at the though of riding it on
my snowboard.  I have to think some snowboarders stay away from this area
due to the traverse, but maybe they don’t mind it as much as I do.

We braved another windy ride on the high-speed quad and headed back to the
same area for our next run.  This time, we took the hike all the way to the
top of the local ridge, and continued a little further as the hiking trail
began to lose elevation.  We even passed another ski area boundary marker,
giving us the impression that the resort was telling us, “You may have been
outside the boundary before, but now you are REALLY out of bounds”.  I was
hoping to find an area with a mellower pitch at the top as we got further
along the traverse, but things still stayed really steep.  There is a lot of
great expert terrain back there that will be a blast with a bigger dump.  We
played it conservatively once again, making sure we didn’t head off the far
side of the rise, so we were still in the presence of tracks made by others.
  But, we did find a lot more untracked snow now that we were further out.
Even though the temperature was around 0 F, it was pretty comfortable out of
the wind in the trees.  We were even able to set up for some still photos,
which was a good temperature test for my digital camera (Olympus C-750).
This was probably the lowest temperature at which I’d used it, and it seemed
to perform fine.  I didn’t even store it in my jacket to keep it warm.  The
electronic screen in the viewfinder was a little slow in refreshing, but
everything else seemed normal.

Although it might have been fun to take another run and explore more of the
area, we decided to give ourselves a rest from the extreme wind chill on the
high speed quad and rode the low speed Metro Quad to the left.  We used it
to get us over for a run on the Village Chair lift line, where we enjoyed
cruising through the powder on the left side of the trail near the vacation
homes.  I’ve always found it neat to be able to cruise the powder right
along the edge of these houses, while dodging furniture, toys, and whatever
else comes your way.  It is quite the mellow pitch, but I knew this powder
would be light enough that it would barely slow us down.  We rode the
Village Chair and skied back to the car, as we were pretty chilled after a
few hours out in such temperatures.  Overall, the new foot of snow made for
a good, although not really spectacular day due to how dry the powder was
(the NWS Jay Peak station reported 10 inches of 8% H2O powder).  But it sure
beat what conditions would have been like without any new snow.  It had
remained snowy and windy throughout the day, and it really felt like we were
sitting under the Jay Peak cloud.  If we looked up, we could see blue sky at
times, which suggested the sun was out somewhere, but not at Jay Peak.  You
could even see the snow streaking across the sky against the sunny backlit
background, and it felt like you were surrounded by your own miniature
snowstorm.

Once we drove to the west away from Jay Peak, the sky became almost clear,
but we could look back and see the huge bank of cloud shrouding the
mountain.  It was quite a weather contrast.  The worst part about the drive
home was some jerk in front of us (driving an SUV from Massachusetts) that
threw his Gatorade bottle right out the window onto the side of the road.
It was obviously in clear view of all the other cars on the road, especially
ours, which was right behind him.  I’ve often wondered where all that crap
comes from along the sides of the roads; well, here’s an example.  We took
several photos of his license plate (it looks like MA tag 1759 MC), although
I’m not sure how much can really be done if we report it to the state
police.  At least it’s reported here.

Upon returning to the Boston area on Dec 30th, we found that Erica’s house
had received 12 inches of snow from the storm.  So overall, Ty was able to
get quite a good snow fix from the trip, and even got in a couple days of
back yard slide time on his skis in Vermont.  Dad was just happy to get in
his annual day of Vermont skiing, but he had a lot of fun playing around
too. ;)  We got back to Montana yesterday to find two inches of snow at our
house (our biggest accumulation of the season) and cold enough temperatures
to keep it around for a bit.  I’m sure we’ll let Ty get out and play in it
as much as possible while it lasts.

A few pictures from our Jay Peak day are available at:

http://www.JandEproductions.com/2004/27DEC04.html

J.Spin