]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  January 2005, Week 4

MEDLIB-L January 2005, Week 4

SUMMARY (long-ish): teaching pubmed to undergrads

Michael Sholinbeck <[log in to unmask]>

Michael Sholinbeck <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:50:07 -0800

I recvd a lot of thoughtful responses, some class handouts, etc.

2 schools of thought about MeSH:
Some said - teach MeSH to undergrads because this structured vocab is
what makes searching something like PubMed different from Google.
Others said to emphasize keyword searching because it is becoming more
important (both OLDMEDLINE and in process/publisher supplied stuff has
no MeSH), and also that kwd searching produces some pretty good results
these days in PubMed....

I will be putting up a web site for the class I am teaching - an
undergrad Public Health class.  When it appears, the URL will be
<http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/PUBL/SPH/ph39.html>.

Anyway, below are the responses.  Thanks!
***
I always show MeSH to everyone - it gives so much more control of their
search
***
I know people who don't think it's worth teaching MeSH to medical
students.  I disagree with that attitude, but I certainly agree that
it's not worth trying to teach MeSH to a group of undergraduates
(especially at early levels in their education).  With the addition of
pre-MEDLINE and Old MEDLINE to PubMed, keyword searching skills are
actually becoming important for comprehensive PubMed searching anyway.
A couple of changes in PubMed's term mapping over recent months have
increased the importance of keyword searching, and  PubMed's "related
articles" feature increases the usefulness of keyword search techniques.

I think you can teach undergrads to truncate and to  OR alternate words,
phrases, etc. for a concept.  If you tell them that ORing works in
Google, this may increase their interest in that technique.  If you have
them search one concept at a time and combine concepts using the
history, you don't have to worry as much about teaching parentheses.  I
teach keyword searching to pharmacy students who need to learn to search
International Pharmaceutical Abstracts in a comprehensive manner.  I'm
relatively happy with my PowerPoint for that lecture and would be happy
to share it if would like to see it. (It's a relatively large file, so I
won't clog your inbox with it unless you want it).   Another librarian
and I created a web-based tutorial for the pharmacy students' IPA lab.
It's intended for students who've already been subjected to a lecture on
the subject of keyword searching, and, thus, allows students to skip
over instructions for truncating, etc.  if they already understand or
think they already understand those concepts.  It's at

http://www.unmc.edu/library/pharm/ipatutorial/ipaFrameset.htm

If I think of a fun search topic for undergraduates that will work well
with keywords, I'll let you know.  We're always trying to think of new,
amusing search topics for our classes.  However, we're usually trying to
demonstrate the superiority of MeSH, so our current list of searches
would probably not work terribly well.
***
I wouldn't avoid MeSh at all.  This is one of the prime ways you can
illustrate why searching in a focused database like PubMed beats a wide open
search. You don't have to go into mind numbing detail but basically you can
highlight why Pubmed and other databases, especially the ones your library
pays big bucks for and their college tuition supports, can provide more
focused information than a Google search.  I have worked with searchers of
all skill levels and wow them with something that shows the advanced
features is a GOOD THING.

Here is a link to the Duke tutorial.  It is by and far the BEST tutorial I
have ever seen for teaching PubMed Searching.  Yes it is through Ovid but it
gives a great illustration of using MeSH and using keywords.
http://www.biomed.lib.umn.edu/ovidtut/mapbet2.html
Maybe you can modify it for your use??

The sheet I am sending following these basic principles gives the searcher
their tools.  I tell that these are the tools they have in their tool box
and they need to figure out how each source handles them. I teach broad
principles of searching and then show them how they can learn to apply them
to the database.  It is one of the basic things in personal information
management (of course for librarians as well).  Choose the right resources.
Google is great for some things but if you want to find medical information
go right to the horse as it were.  Go to Pubmed.

I am also sending some sheets I used to use when I was teaching how to write
a research paper.  It was a small course taught over several sessions.  Use
whatever you think will be helpful.
***
At present, I teach only health professionals, but some undergrads pop into
the library if they are students here. They get a look of enlightenment on
their faces when I give them the 5 minute intro to MeSH (then send them to
the PubMed tutorial). I think teaching a bit of MeSH is a good idea for
undergrads, in order to emphasize to them that specific bodies of knowledge
[i.e. medicine, nursing, etc.] have controlled vocabularies. It is the same
concept as teaching elementary school kids to use the online catalog (f.k.a.
card catalog). Automobiles instead of Cars, Neoplasms instead of Cancer.
Also, by using MeSH and scrolling down to reveal the MeSH tree structure,
the searcher has more options for narrowing or expanding the search.
***
Generally I have about 15 minutes for this, so I often mention
the Tutorial in the left column.

Usually I take a topic, e.g., gener and reaction time
Search (sex OR gender) AND (reaction time)
Get results.
Show Details and briefly explain fixed vocabulary/natural language
Explain (as I go along) and make some choices, usually:
publication type, ages (depends on class), publication date, only items with
abstracts, language
(english), human or animal (human); sometimes subsets (depending on class)
and gender

Pick an appropriate citation, with links to full-text and/or our library
physical holdings.

Since our students can use interlibrary loan, sometimes I pick a citation
which we lack, and show from the Display choice Medline, to point out
IS for International Standard Serial Number, and also MH for MeSH headings/
descriptors to mention search terms again.

Depending on class, time, etc., some of the above will vary.
***
Just a suggestion - begin with a very general explanation of what a database
is. You can use the telephone book theory. If you look up beauty parlors
under "b" and this particular telephone book has them placed under "S" for
spa, you will only find a few entries. You might even bring in phone books
or any book that has an index with an entry that is not the first one people
are likely to think of. It always helps to have a hard example in the
students hands.
***
  I've been doing a lot of teaching of PubMed to third year medical
students.  When I started, I was determined they should know MeSH.  This
past time, I avoided it altogether.  I figure we'll get to it in an
"Advanced PubMed" course sometime.

I've fought all the standard arguments with myself, about how important
it is and how much better a search it produces.  But, you know what?
I've yet to see a single student use it in real-life practice.  So, I've
decided it is more important to focus on good search strategy (this is
within an EBM context, so I fall back on PICO for determining sets and
synonyms) and correct use of Boolean logic and nesting.

My conclusion is that PubMed has progressed so far (in the searching it
does behind the scenes) that a student can get a very good result if
they only know how to formulate a search.  And then, of course, what to
do with the results (linkouts, etc) after that.
***
--
Michael Sholinbeck
Assistant Head Librarian