SKIVT-L January 2005, Week 4

Re: Bode Miller

Gary Crofton <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:39:20 -0500

The Mountain Comes to Miller
By BILL PENNINGTON

CHAMONIX, France - Bode Miller, the world's most dominant ski racer, sits in
his mountain hideaway shrouded by the French Alps and wonders why no one
sees what he sees.

It is the perfect race. It is all he ever sees.

"Other people see the finish, the medals, the fame, the fortune," Miller
said. He waves his hands disdainfully.

"They are trying to win," he said, shaking his head. "The goal is not winning."

Focusing on results is poisonous to Miller. It misses the point, which is
the pursuit of the fastest way down the mountain. Not once or twice, but in
every race. It is more than merely enjoying the journey instead of the
destination.

"It's about why you do something," Miller said. "The world would be much
better off if everyone thought about that first. I can be stoked about
winning a race, but really, it wasn't what I was trying to do. I was trying
to see how fast I could go. It's never been an issue for me to feel better
than anyone else."

The world championships begin Jan. 29 in Bormio, Italy, and Miller, the most
decorated skier in the world this season, will try to go as fast as he can
in five events: the slalom, the giant slalom, the super-G, the downhill and
the combined. He will be a favorite in each race. He could crash in all of them.

[Miller leads the race for the overall World Cup title by 175 points, an
advantage built largely with an astounding start to the season, when he won
6 of the first 10 races. The victories came in four different events,
something done only once before in a single World Cup season and never in so
short a period, 16 days.]

If Miller wins the overall title, among the most coveted prizes in
international sports, he will be the first American to do so since Phil
Mahre in 1983. Asked earlier this month if he believed he would be the
overall champion, Miller, reclining in a remote chalet outside Chamonix, did
not hesitate.

"Probably," he said. "I'm the best skier in the world this year."

Is there a more tactful answer? Something like, "We'll see."

Miller frowned. "What's the point of that?" he said. "Obviously, anything
could happen. I could blow out my knee tomorrow, fly over the trees and my
head could come off. But will I win the overall? Probably."

The winner of two Olympic silver medals in 2002, and of two gold medals and
a silver medal at the 2003 world championships, Miller, 27, has been close
to winning the overall competition for the last three years. Last year,
after leading for several weeks, he faded in the final events, dropping to
fourth.

Because Miller is the only athlete to compete in every race for the last
three seasons, many people in the racing community, including some of
Miller's coaches, say he is wearing himself out. Most racers eschew at least
one of the race disciplines to hone their technique and focus on excelling
in the other events. There is only so much time to train the diverse skills
needed. Skipping a race is also a way to rest on a grueling World Cup
encompassing 43 races at 18 resorts across roughly three months.

"Bode has run out of gas sometimes," Phil McNichol, the United States ski
team's men's head coach, said. "And you can say to him, 'Hey, wait, if you
really want to win the overall title, take a race off.' I've told him that.
But Bode has his own answer to that."

The answer begins with a classic Bode Miller facial expression, a patient,
polite glance that is nonetheless a look of exasperation. It says, "There
you go again, focusing on results."

He will race in every race because he wants to, and if the overall title
comes with it, so be it.

"Unless I'm hurt, what's the point of not racing?" Miller said. "Didn't I
choose to do this so I could race whenever I wanted?"

Miller decided to become a professional ski racer at age 6, after lengthy,
contemplative discussions with his parents and his grandmother.

"When I was little, I spent a lot of time by myself," he said. "When other
kids were in school, I was skiing and thinking about things. I was alone on
the mountain."

Miller was reared in a small cabin in northern New Hampshire, a home with no
running water or electricity. He was home-schooled and played a variety of
sports. He consciously focused, however, on skiing. Team sports were not as
appealing.

"I liked the control ski racing gave me," Miller said. "If cloistered in a
team, you are a medley of other wants and goals."

This kind of thinking did not make Miller the most easily coached athlete,
and he has famously rebelled against any number of mentors along the way.
But his iconoclasm is his brand, and Miller wears it proudly.

Asked to talk about his impact on American skiing, Miller does not refer to
Olympic or world championship medals. He mentions that he introduced shaped
skis to American ski racing as an 18-year-old. He showed up at the 1996
Junior Olympics wearing the radical parabolic skis and dominated two races.
It helped change the face of all skiing, competitive and recreational.

A year later, Miller was a rookie on the World Cup tour. He failed to finish
14 of his first 21 races and had his skiing likened to "a cat being thrown
over an icy driveway."

His coaches implored him to slow down, to take fewer chances, to realize
that there was some benefit to standing up all the way down the course.

Miller dismisses the notion that he was reckless.

"It may have seemed that way," Miller said. "But I was trying things. There
was a lot of growth there. And I did back off and try careful angles
hundreds of times. But I did it at my pace. It was always part of a plan to
ski as well as I could each time I was out there. I'm not trying to just
finish."

So even this season, Miller has not completed five slaloms, flying off the
course in an event that used to be his specialty. Those may be precious
points lost as the season winds down and as others, particularly the
Austrians, challenge his place atop the standing.

"But I would not go against him," his teammate Daron Rahlves said. "Ever
since our summer camp in Chile, I knew Bode was going to be hard to beat."

Last summer, Miller first trained on a new equipment set-up: skis and boots
from the Austrian ski company Atomic. Two years ago, Miller skied with
Fischer equipment, and last year, he wore Rossignol skis and Nordica boots.
He has won with each manufacturer. But with the switch to Atomic, Miller and
Rahlves inherited Thomas Buergler, the Atomic serviceman and technician used
by the recently retired Austrian downhill champ Stephan Eberharter. When
races are won and lost by hundredths of a second, ski preparation is a
precious science.

Miller credits Atomic, which has provided skis to every overall winner since
1995, with some of his success, but he said his incredibly fast start this
season had been more a product of his off-season training.

Miller spends much of his summer at home in New Hampshire, working at his
family's tennis camp. Not surprisingly, he also designed his own training
regimen. It includes riding a unicycle in the craggy New Hampshire
mountains, log-rolling in the lake near his home and tight-rope walking.

"People say I do things differently, like it's something wrong," Miller
said. "I'm surprised they don't look at some of my success and say, 'So
what's he doing differently?' "

Among the differences is the motor home Miller rides from event to event in
Europe. One of his friends is his driver.

"I've heard people say I have the motor home so I can party more and get
more chicks," Miller said. "I don't really care what they think, but I do it
so I can get out of hotels, cook the meals I want and get better rest."

The motor home is usually in the parking lot at the base of the resort
playing host to that week's World Cup event.

"Sometimes, during the day, Bode is in that motor home taking a three-hour
nap," Rahlves said.

Miller said, "I sleep very well."

Dreaming, no doubt, about the perfect race.