SKIVT-L January 2005, Week 4

Central Park 1/23

telenaut <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:24:35 -0500

Catskill plans fizzled blizzard morning. (Good on you, RayP, for your I-87
ride.)

For me. it was off to ski NYC.

Warning: Long and meaningless retelling to come. No VT content. No insights.

(aside: NYC park geography.)

Riverside Park is long and thin, running alongside the Hudson. Over 7 miles
tip-to-tip, but with one big interruption near the middle. "My" section is
about 2.5 miles north-south, and 1/8 - 1/4 mile east-west. All of it slopes
down from east to west and water's edge, nowhere near as steep as the
Palisades across the river, but steep enough in places.

Central Park 2.5 miles north-south, 3/4 mile east west. It is a random,
man-made mix of flat fields, hills, ponds, streams, and the occasional
rock-face.

(end aside)

Usually if I ski at home, I ski Riverside. It's right outside my door and
you can zigzag off one untracked woodshot after another after another. All
extremely short, but <shrug> no long uphills.

Sunday, with 18" on the ground I opted for Central Park's variety, just shy
of a mile away. The chance to ski CP comes rarely enough. Whether good, bad
or indifferent, it is always worth it, if for no other reason than to look
at its routes in 100degree August and say, I skied that.

But that's hardly all. I love the conversations, and looks, you get carrying
skis across NYC streets. One quick chat with a roving snow shoveller
($3/person to dig out a car) stood out. He: "You should be in the
Catskills." Me (stung to the quick): "Believe me. I would've if I could've."
He: "I used to be a cook at a resort. It's beautiful up there. You can take
your family, rent a cabin for not too much money. And when it snows like
this you can stay longer. Everybody wants to stay over when it snows." The
guy really hit me twice in my weak spots. Meant well though. I wished him
happy shovelling.

Kids climbing on snow banks. Lots of fire trucks (sadly, learned in the
evening it'd been a tragic day for the NYFD). Cars traveling extra slow,
made crossing snow-paved streets a spatial disconnect. No matter if the
oncoming bus was only half a block away. You still had plenty time to stroll
across. The skis themselves drew a rare couple of scowls, mostly big grins.

Once in the Park, bootpacked a snowy staircase up a big round, rarely
visited hill (with some of the U.S.'s only remaining Chestnut trees--big
strong and beautiful). Woods on its east side yielded what turned out to be
some of the day's smoothest skiing. Low-angle, wooded, mellow, good cover,
and room to make 5 - 7 turns.

Moved onward, east still through one of the Park's wildest little corners, a
near deserted stream path (and spooky since the infamous, grizzly jogger
rape and near-murder there long ago). Its appearance is lovely woodland. You
can easily--really easily--imagine yourself in a southern new england
forest. And that's how I felt, ski-touring between small waterfalls along
the icy, flowing stream. Saw one photographer. A few minutes later, another
ski-tourer, elderly, with a thick, thick Scandinavian accent.

From the opposite bank rose my next objective, a rounded, steep rockface
(pitch reminded me of Stowe bc's Steeple, though of course much, much, much
smaller) that falls away from the 102nd St transverse. I'd often imagined
skiing it, but never seen it from below before, so I scouted a few possible
lines as I circled up, (past the parked police car on a nearby side road--it
never ceases to amaze how tightly packed are CP's little
mini-environments--Olmsted was a genius) and around to the rock face's
grassy top. In summer, it's a wooly unkempt meadow. In winter, the wind had
scoured a few patches where dried brown poked through.

Looked down the pitches I'd looked up from below. As steep, for a short
stretch, as anything I've ever been willing to ski in VT. Ruled out one
line, traversed to a second and with no ado, poled to the edge and down.

One turn. One turn was all it took. One turn and I suddenly understood what
had eluded me for years, what people meant whan they talked about "base."

There was none. One right turn and the soft fluffy and deep-enough fluff I'd
started down on was instantly poofed to nothing, new skis scraping on bare
rock. Fell on my right, slid the bottom half, saw a few stars shining like
microscopic amoeba in front of my eyes, then... picked myself up to
stubbornly try the same thing again. Hey, there was room for one more line
to looker's left, and this time, said me to I, I wouldn't be so foolish as
to turn.

And it almost worked. Til I reached the bottom, and once again hit baseless
rock bottom, decelerated instantly and once again fell to my right. Ouch.
Ouch. This is what you call fun, right Dan? Well, fact is, it was.

I resumed the tour de CP. Circled over to the northeast corner, where I
rarely go, found a big, contour-y and well-sledded hill. Skipped the
freshies this time for the best skiing of the day, scraping bottom only once
as I rounded the last turn, coming to a stop among moms and dads leading
their sled-bearing little ones up. Some ignored the skier in their midst.
Some told their kids to "Look Out" though I was nowhere near em. Some
broadly smiled.

Next, south. Got a few more sweet freshie turns, and a yell of, "hey tele
guy" from someone who knew, then xc'd about a mile over mostly flat jogger
route. Thought seriously about stopping in at the Guggenheim. But nah.

2nd day out on the Atomic Rainiers and I gotta say, they're a hybrid joy.
They turn well, they kick and glide well, and if you remember to punch down
your heels, they do pretty well uphill.

Made it down past the reservoir, to the back of the Met, looking for the
shot city-boy WM Walker talked about. Stopped for a pbj lunch in the shadow
of Cleopatra's Needle... and by the time I was done, knew my left leg was in
serious pain. It'd been warm and active after my falls, but now that it was
cold I could barely stand on it. Fractured? I didn't think so, but I didn't
rule it out either. Hurt bad.

Slowly managed to let it support me. Slowly managed to put skis back on.
Ouch. Ouch. Slowly started to kick and hesitantly glide. The first 200 yards
were eye-tearing. As the muscle warmed it hurt less.

Odd feeling. Here I am, about 2.5 miles from home, maybe 1/8 mile from a
taxicab (if I could convice one to let me hang skis out rolled down window).
But I'd spent all day imagining I was bc in the Catskills, and if that meant
getting myself out of what messes I got in, well timmad, so did this.

One stride, then another. Out of the Park. Skis off. One step, then another,
along the mean streets. Meditate. By the time I made it home, the leg had
locked up. I couldn't bend the knee more than 45 degrees. Sheesh. How
humiliating. Done in by Central Park. Out of commision for weeks? months?

I watched football and made plans for xrays Monday.

This morning it feels somewhat better. I can bend to near 90 degrees.
Hopefully just a thigh bruise. To go with the one to my ego.

--tn