LISTSERV Archives

GEOCOSMO Home

GEOCOSMO  February 2005

GEOCOSMO February 2005

Fwd: IntCal04 release

Paul Bierman <[log in to unmask]>

In situ cosmogenic isotopes <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:43:49 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Tom Guilderson <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: February 18, 2005 12:44:21 AM EST
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: IntCal04 release
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Can you throw this out on geocosmo?  The issue is out of the presses
> tomorrow (2/18) and will be online come Monday or thereabouts.
>

>  Calibrated radiocarbon ages are the basis for comparison between many
> records in paleoclimatological, geophysical, and archaeological
> studies.  It is therefore necessary to have a standard radiocarbon
> calibration dataset for intercomparisons to be valid.  The radiocarbon
> community has recognized this need and hence has adopted an
> international standard for calibration, IntCal04 which was ratified at
> the 18th International Radiocarbon Conference in Wellington New
> Zealand.  The importance of the quality of the dataset used for
> calibration cannot be overstated. The IntCal04 working group and the
> journal Radiocarbon is thus pleased to announce the release and
> publication of IntCal04: Calibration Issue"  as a special issue of
> Radiocarbon (v46, n3, 2004). Concurrent with the IntCal04 release and
> consistent with previous incarnations of IntCal is a revision and
> update of the calibration software program CALIB.
>
>  We would like to thank all of the working group authors,
> collaborators, reviewers, and the radiocarbon community for
> participating in this process.  Special thanks to the Radiocarbon
> staff, especially managing editor Mark McClure.
>
>  Please visit www.radiocarbon.org to download personal copies of
> IntCal04 and links to internationally standardized and accepted
> radiocarbon calibration software programs (BCal, CAL25, CALIB, OxCal).
>
> The IntCal issue and release of the IntCal04 datasets would not have
> been possible without the financial assistance of the Leverhulme
> Trust, the NSF's Earth System History Program, and the University of
> Arizona/Radiocarbon.  The NSF's Earth System History Program funded
> revision and updating of CALIB.
>
> PJReimer(1,2)
> TPGuilderson (1,3)
>
> 1. Center for Accelerator Mass Spectrometry
> University of California's Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
>
> 2. Centre for Climate, the Environment & Chronology
> School of Archaeology and Palaeoecology
> Queen's University Belfast
>
> 3.  Department of Ocean Sciences & Inst. of Marine Sciences
> University of California, Santa Cruz

Paul R. Bierman                                                 802 656 4411(o)
Professor of Geology and Natural Resources              802 863 3609 (h)
University of Vermont                                           802 656 0045 (f)
Burlington, VT 05405                                            802 238 6826 (cel)
http://uvm.edu/~pbierman