SCHOOL-IT February 2005

Re: iSAFE Questions

Steve Jarrett <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:22:13 -0500

Ed,

i-Safe is being implemented for grade 5 -7  at Browns River Middle
School this semester.   The health teacher is presenting it in her
classes.

Mt. Mansfield Union High School is piloting it with five classes this
year.  Possilble long-term plan would be to have it taught in 9th grade
health classes, except for intellectual property class. which might be
taught in English or library.  The classroom teachers, who have been
trained, are presenting the classes.

The classes for grades 5 -12 take about 40 minutes each.  There are
five core classes and a few optional classes.

Jericho Elementary School will use it with their 3rd and 4th graders
this semester.
The classes for grades K - 4 take about 20 minutes each.  There are
five core classes.

We have done no formal notification to parents.  It is being integrated
into the curriculum.

Overall, the classes are easy to present.  The teacher just has to be
able to have small groups of students engage in brief discussions, then
report out to the rest of the class.

We ran an i-Safe Parent night a Browns River Middle School.  Our school
resource officer did the presentation.  Presentation and discussion
lasted about one hour.  Hope to repeat it at the high school and Camels
Hump Middle School this semester.  It went well.

We hope to offer an Internet 101 class for parents in the evenings.
Taught by a student, it would focus on how chat rooms and instant
messaging work, and on how to view browser history. This course is not
part of i-Safe.  It is just something we hope to grow locally.

Steve

Steve Jarrett
District Technology Coordinator
Mount Mansfield Union School District
Chittenden East Supervisory Union
(802) 899 - 3711

Our district is considering using iSafe Curriculum.  I would greatly
appreciate it if those of you who are using it or plan to use it in
the
near future would be willing to answer a few of questions.

1.      Is your school/district/SU presently using iSafe curriculum or
do you
plan on using it in the near future?  Using Now, Near Future? Please
give
the name of school, district or SU
2.      What grade level(s) is it being used at (or will it be used
at)?
3.      Who is (will be) teaching it? Classroom teacher, Librarian,
Computer
Teacher, Other
4.      How much time is it (will it be) taking?
5.      Have you or do you plan to have parental involvement other than
basic
notification?  Brief explanation.
6.      Comments?

Many thanks!

Ed Barry
Director of Information Technology Services
Milton Town School District
42 Herrick Avenue
Milton, VT  05468
(802)893-3226  FAX 893-3227

This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  If this e-mail contains student information and you are not entitled to access such information under FERPA, please notify the sender.  Federal regulations require that you destroy this e-mail without reviewing it and you may not forward it to anyone.