Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  February 2005, Week 3

SKIVT-L February 2005, Week 3

Re: More on Alec Stall's accident

"Jonathan S. Shefftz" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:32:15 -0500

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:21:12 -0500, pinnah <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am reminded of the 2 skiers that were killed
>at the bottom of Gulf of Slides some 10 years ago
>or so. They had just entered the slide zone at
>the bottom of the first slide above the GoS trail
>and were both hit by an avalanche. There was much
>discussion on usenet back then (including close
>friends of the victims) about the slide being
>caused by a 3rd skier who was digging a pit high up
>on the slide.
>
>While it may be somewhat instructive to understand
>root causes, I think there is a limit of what we can
>learn here.
>
>My biggest worry is that such discussions can too
>easily morph into blame assignment.

Two skiers went up into a dramatic terrain trap lacking any avalanche
rescue gear on a day when the posted danger for a similar glacial cirque
was high - do we need to know anything else?
Well, if so, here’s the complete USFS report.
Oh, and one of the skiers (Wald) had only a couple weeks earlier (i.e.,
early March) skied King Ravine - by himself...
*****
March 24, 1996,Mt. Washington, NH
On March 24, 1996 at approximately 9:30 am, three people were caught in a
class 3 avalanche in gully #2 in the Gulf of Slides. John G. Wald, 35 of
Cambridge MA, and Todd Crumbaker, 35 of Billerica MA, were killed. The Gulf
of Slides is the ravine just south of Tuckerman Ravine on Mt Washington.
The avalanche occurred in gully #2 which, from the top of the ridge, is
about 1000 feet long, 60 to 85 feet wide and has a slope of 40-45 degrees.
The fracture occurred approximately one third the way down from the ridge
in the narrows at the point of utmost convexity. The crown was estimated to
be 18-28 inches deep and 80-85 feet across. The debris stayed mostly in the
main gully, but did hop a ridge around a slightly downhill right corner and
settled in thick spruce and fir trees. The debris in the main gully was
estimated to 250 by 65 feet in area and ranged from 2 to 14 feet deep. The
debris over the ridge into the trees was estimated to be 80 by 100 feet in
area. Due to the remote location of the gully and subsequent new snow in
the days following the avalanche, the site was not revisited for a follow
up investigation or measurements.

In the days preceeding the event, the area received 12-13 inches of new
snow. With high west winds a fair amount of snow loading occurred.
Avalanche danger was posted at High and natural release avalanches were
witnessed in both Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines on the morning of the
24th. Visibility in the area was very low on this day due to steady winds
continuing to blow new snow off the summit cone of Mt. Washington. Away
from the mountain it was a crystal blue sky day.

The first individual, who was hiking by himself up on the right side of the
gully, noticed two others about 250 feet below him (John and Todd). They
were standing in the middle of the gully where it begins to level out into
the runout zone. This area is a classic terrain trap with ridges on both
sides. They appeared to be either removing their skins or their skis. The
avalanche originated approximately 200 feet above the first individual,
450' above John and Todd's location. He was able to move 4 feet to his
right and step out of the moving debris before it had gained much momentum
and yelled down to watch out. Once the avalanche stopped he started down
the Gulf of Slides trail to see if the other two had skied out. When he did
not see signs of them, he started probing the debris with his ski pole. A
local university outing club came across him and assisted in an improvised
probe line with ski poles. One of the group was eventually sent out to the
Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) Pinkham Notch Visitor Center (2.75 miles
from the scene) to call for more help. This person arrived at Pinkham just
as a skier with a cellular phone arrived at the scene and called 911.
Approximately 150 minutes had passed since the accident.

Chris Joosen and Kai Allen (FS Snow Rangers) along with Jason Hunter
(Harvard Mountaineering Club Caretaker) were returning from Huntington
Ravine when they received a radio call reporting the accident from Dave
Neely at Pinkham Notch. Kai, Jason and Liz Haigh (AMC Caretaker) were
dispatched from Tuckerman Ravine as the first organized hasty team. Chris
gathered additional probes and headed down to Pinkham in the USFS LMC-1200.
Brad Ray and Marianne Bradley (FS Snow Rangers) reported to Pinkham to
assist in organizing other rescue teams. Chris departed from Pinkham with
six AMC employees. They followed the hasty team's tracks to the gully
arriving approximately 30 minutes later. At this point John and Todd had
been buried 4 to 4 1/2 hours. A beacon search was done by the hasty team
followed by random probing in the most likely burial areas. Most of the
debris pile in the gully, which measured 225-250 ft. by 65 ft., was uniform
without many visual clues on likely burial locations. A ski pole was found
on the ridge where the debris had jumped the gully into the trees. The pole
was the hardest piece of evidence so random probing was done around the
trees in that area for an additional 15-20 minutes. Additional rescuers
arrived and Chris started a probe line at the toe of the debris while Kai
ran shovel teams and random probers who did extra probing around trees
after the line had moved through. There were approximately 35 people on
scene. Todd Crumbaker was found by the probe line under 7 to 8 feet of snow
60 feet from the terminal end of the debris. John Wald was located 35
minutes later, by a small probe line covering fingers off the main debris,
just behind the line to the right and 40 feet above Todd, 100 ft from the
toe. His head and torso were under 5 feet of debris. Todd and John had been
buried approximately 6 and 7 hours respectively. Probable cause of death
was suffocation complicated by trauma.

Reported by: Christopher Joosen, USFS Snow Ranger