SKIVT-L February 2005, Week 3

With the ladies (and gents) - SBS 2/13

telenaut <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:49:35 -0500

Sorry for the slow report. Hectic week.

And, first, some housekeeping...
I'm not a big fan of trolls, and I hear that my Mt. Lumps tr was seen as
one. It wasn't a troll. It was intended to be a joke--which I believed was
totally obvious. Fact is, it was a fun day on skis. Start to finish. Okay,
it was a short day. And okay, the day included zero epic turns. But without
any reservations, it was a good day. Period. Some of you knew that. I'm
sorry some of you didn't.

Now, moving on...
(reader warning: what follows is basically a blathering "Dear Diary." No
insights. No secret stashes. No snow conditions that haven't already been
reported.)

Sunday 2/13 was first lift-served* since my self-induced humiliation in
Central Park (I like RichardW's line: "wha'd ya run into a snow-covered
shopping cart?"). And Carol graciously set me up with a beautyshop quartet
to harmonize up and down SB with. Unfortunately, the husbands and boyfriends
came too.

Joke. Jeez, that was a joke. Can't I get away with anything?

10 AM Carol and Bruce, Linda and Nile, Marcia ("Pinecone") and Greg, and
PattieMac (with Tom to join later) and I meet at SuperBravo. Mike "where the
lleh is the snow" B. says hi, but he's already foaming at the mouth,
twitching in the knees, babbling like a spring brook. And not, I'm afraid,
because all the lovely ladies nearby have him unnerved.

No, it was the 8" of new on the ground. This, as so many have already noted,
was shaping up to be a gorgeous, gorgeous day. A day that even did not kcus.
The trick, for me, would be trying to enjoy it while keeping my own
powder-frenzy in check. Strange mix. On the one hand, if there was ever a
day when the blue squares would be delicious, this was it. On the other, if
there was ever a day when the woods would call like sirens, this was it.

We spent all morning on the Super Bravo and Valley House chairs. The
autobahn below the midmountain lodge, normally a horror, was only a bit
chalky and hard. And there was one icy section on Lower Organgrinder. But
other than that, everywhere else was fluffy cut-up powder. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Our group of 8 quickly disintegrated into more manageable clumps, and most
of my runs were with a fluctuating party including now-lurker Pinecone, her
husband Greg, PattieMac and Nile. It'd been close to 8 years since I'd skied
with Pinecone and PattieMac and it was good reacquainting, acclimating to
each other's ski pace. How far, how fast, how turny, what routes different
people take down the hill all have such a big effect on the color of a ski
day.

My own ski pace was a mystery to me. I can't get over how _interesting_ this
p-turn stuff is. After skiing pretty much exclusively drop-kneed for as long
as I've been skiing, I'm now in exclusive p-turn mode. The things I end up
concentrating on are so different. More than anything, it's the twisting I
feel in the hips. Then there's the pressing-against-the-boot-tops thing.
Hard to understand how far to push that before, on tele bindings, you end up
skiing on your toes. And I'm looking forward to seeing how that boot-top
consciousness affects my tele style when I get back to it.

But the main thing about p-turns is how ridiculously easy they are, both to
execute passably well and to keep on doing top-to-bottom, run after run. I
ended up skiing much faster and longer than I had planned.

Pick of the day was the traverse over to, and then down either Spring Fling
or Snowball. Got some freshies on SF early in the day, but all day long
after that, the silky chowder was a blast.

Late in the day, moved up to North Lynx, and that's when a touch of the
misery set in. First I watched as someone grabbed a short little fresh
woodshot under the lift. I'd been trying keep what was out of sight totally
out of mind. But first this bozo let out a woo-hoo. Then I watched as he
floated--and fast, too--through the thigh deep. There weren't even any
tracks _behind_ him--just a fold in the snow where it filled back in as he
glided through. That hurt.

Then Nile started talking about Slide Brook. Teeth clenched, sweat pouring
off my brow, I mumbled to self, "must resist. must maintain discipline." I
can't ever recall turning down a run that I knew would be one to remember, a
run that's a favorite under any conditions and today would be almost as good
as it gets. It's an act--the turning down--that I don't ever care to repeat.

Instead, I pushed myself just a little--rather than a lot--farther than I'd
planned. Did two runs with Greg down skier's left and center of the triple.
It'd bumped up a bit. The top of skier's left was too deeply troughed for my
leg and I didn't want to repeat it, but at the same time, I couldn't help
but marvel at how much easier bumps are in p-mode than in t-. This is
definitely going to cause some reevaluatin' later on.

Bottom of skier's left and, next, under liftline, turned into the most
adventurously fun runs of the day. Turns were both smooth and new-feeling.
Yeah.

Wrapped it up at 2:30, drove home, and next morning, knew without a shadow
of a doubt that I'd pushed it too far. Doctor had said "don't ski." I'd
taken him to mean "don't ski hard." Later Monday, as I winced, doctor said
"told you so."

And Monday night, after reflection, I knew that, given the same opportunity,
I'd gladly do the same again.

Thanks Carol, Pinecone, PattieMac, Linda. Great bluesquare cruiser day,
Great change of pace and perspective.

Have fun this weekend folks. I'm jealous.

--telenot

* not counting Mtn. Crock. It is always appropriate to not count Mtn. Crock.