Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  February 2005, Week 3

SKIVT-L February 2005, Week 3

SBS 2-12/13-05

"Mike \"It's Finally Here\" Bernstein" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:53:23 -0500

Finally.  We've waited all season for this weekend to arrive, and boy did
it ever deliver.  We arrived at the mountain early (for us) Saturday
morning around 8:30. The wind holds for all the major lifts at Loncoln
Peak on Friday offered the possibility of an epic day.  Due to that very
wind, some binding troubles and the similar thought patterns (gonna be an
epic day) of what seemed like all of New England, it turned out to be a
fantastic, if not quite epic day.

Started things off right on Heaven's Gate by jumping into what I'm told is
called Bear Claw.  It was mostly untouched and when it spit us out onto
Paradise, we made the hard traverse through the scrub into some variant of
lower Church woods.  What we found was untouched goodness.  What I found
was that I was completely unprepared mentally and physically for this type
of skiing, having become accusotmed to cruising on the packed powder this
year.  I struggled and gomered and blew up once or twice, my friends
happiuly powering ahead into the deep.  A few temper tantrums later, I
emerged and reminded myself how far forward (or, more apprpriately, better
balanced and aggressive) I need to be in order to sustain control from
turn to turn in the deep.  We then moved onto Hughsies, which was deep in
spots, but not quite ready for prime time.  Same story with the namedless
(to me) woods we took up high on the third run.  Still lots of damage and
deadfall at SB in the softwoods abofe 3,500'.

We then decided to see what we could find off of Valley House.
Surpringly, my favorite birch glade was fairly tracked up, but Moonshine
and Twist were in beautiful shape, so we did a few laps there.  By this
point, it was lunch time, so we figures Castlerock may be the call.  On
the way there, Mark and I jumped into a run I discovered this summer that
I call Smoke Shack b/c of a little lean to hut 3.4 of the way down that
had much smoking related detritus in the off-season (I'm sure the
originators of this line call it something else, but we use our own named
until we learn otherwise).  It was tight as I remember, but it was deep
enough to slow us down appropriately, especially after the headwall.  One
thing we noticed - the north and northeast facing shots were all very much
wind-afftected, with either a very thin base or a wind slab on top of a
deeper base.  We then ducked into our self-named Two Trees, a real low
angle treat that gets no wind.  It was deep and VERY playable.

This was all just a prelude, however, to the reall highlight -
Castlerock.  The line was about 10 minutes and worth every second of it.
For some reason, the wind never made it over here and we enjoyed close to
first tracks in a variety of lines.  The ultimate highlight was linking a
1,400' run of nearly untouched, with cliffs, jumps, bumps, and stumps
adding to the fun.  Half way down, you almost exit the woods (many do)
unless you traverse hard right.  Some tourist could see us from the trail
and was craning his neck to see what we were up to in there. 5 minuntes
later when we popped out on to the trail further down, he asked if that
was an official trail or something we cut.  It was neither, but the answer
was simply "no comment".

After lunch, The Rock becmae something off a zoo again, so we headed off
to see what else we could find.  Ducked into my run from this fall to find
that the wind had really done some damage here.  Alternately wind scraped
and wind slabbed until the last third, where it was deep and delicious.
Hopefully, these conditions won't prove to be common in there whenever the
wind picks up.  I'm not even sure where we finished the day, but it was
gettign late by this point, my legs were dead and my feet were aching so
badly that I couldn't walk.  Needed about an hour before I could put my
shoes on and hobble out to the car.  BTW, it was snowing on and off all
day, perhaps adding another 1-2" in spots.

Sunday dawned with a surprising accumulation of maybe 1-2" on our cars in
Granville.  A check of the snow phone indicated 6-8" new had fallen on the
hill.  What a tremendous surprise!!  My cynical housemates all declared
themselves "sellers" at 6-8", insisting that 3-5" was more likely.  As we
rode up Super Bravo, we noticed that the lower section of Egan's Woods
below Lower Birdland was untouched.  We had a quick cruise down Upper
Birdland and then jumped in (at 9:20 mind you) to find WELL more than 6-8"
new.  Felt more like 10-12", and it was supper dry and fluffy.  Headed
over to Castlerock to see if we could repeat the trick from the day
before.  On the way there, we again ducked into the Smoke Shack> Two Trees
combo, only to find it deeper than yesterday.  No wind on Saturday or
Saturday night, thankfully.  Castlerock delivered again, with an untouched
Lower C-Rock Run.  Ducked into something off of Cotillion to find the
upper half sparsely tracked, but a skied out crux into the played and
sunny bottom half.  Yuck.

Headed back up to Heaven's Gate where Mark and I made a run to the
Church.  We got distracted along the way and stumbled onto a run I hadn't
known about.  It was steep, and long, and tight and pretty much skied off
at the top, but much more enjoyable down below.  Then went for a quick
jaunt into something off of Jester, and ended up getting stuck in the same
maximum security prison Telenaut and I discovered a few weeks back.  10
minutes later, I emerged back onto Jester with snow in every opening and
me well into the red zone.  By this point, it was almost 2PM and we were
pretty spent from nearly two full days of hurling ourselves into the
sylvan realm.  We finished off with two runs on the Valley House chair to
see what we could find.  X-Mas Tree was skied off up top, but much better
lower down after most of the traffic took the well-known bail out.
Couldn't believe the coverage here given the distaster I saw just two
weeks ago, with rocks and deadfall poking 2-3' above the snow's surface at
the time.  Finished off with a run down Twist where Mark found a little
sumthin sumthin that I thought we knew about but probably didn't.  It's
amazing how you can know a glade so very well, yet be completely oblivous
to a different line only 30-40 feet away.

All in all, a fantastic, deep weekend of fun in the Mad River Valley.  The
base is finally sufficient to do anything you want up there now.  Haven't
ducked into Slidebook yet this year, but we'll be getting in there this
weekend, assuming no death crusts develop.  Took until mid-Feburary, but
the season has finally started.