]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

IPOD Home

IPOD  March 2005

IPOD March 2005

Podcasting and the Apple Digital Campus debut, and the call for pioneers goes out.

Steve Cavrak <[log in to unmask]>

iPod at UVM Campus Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:46:48 -0500

Casting the Net
By Katherine Grayson
http://www.campus-technology.com/article.asp?id=10703

  Podcasting and the Apple Digital Campus debut, and the call for
pioneers goes out.

My son, Noah, will be graduating from college in May, just in time to
miss the takeoff of podcasting—one of the most exciting advances in
campus learning and knowledge sharing. And though the move to this
anytime, anywhere educational model (via audio file or iTunes, on iPod
or computer) is still in its nascent stages, I’m already lamenting what
Noah hasn’t had, that lucky others will. I’m thinking back now, to
Parents’ Day 2003, when I sat in on a morning history seminar and
glumly watched my son and rows of his peers snore their way through an
8 am drone that should have transported them all to a vivid, recaptured
moment in time. But the kids, no doubt, had partied the night before,
and even the instructor looked pasty at that hour. How much better for
them all if the rise of fascism in Europe had been open to rip-roaring
audio bloggers at 9 pm, when adolescent brain juices are flowing.

  My wish is about to come true. First there was the unleashing of iPods
for learning on the freshman campus at Duke. Then, at the annual
National Learning Infrastructure Initiative (www.educause.edu/nlii)
meeting in late January, the charter members of the Apple Digital
Campus (the University of Missouri School of Journalism, Stanford,
Duke, The Ohio University, and Penn State  ) were represented by campus
leaders so excited about the future of this new level of digital
learning, that their words tumbled out as they envisioned the future.
How do I know this, if I was not present? I know it because I was sent
an iTune file of discussion excerpts, which I played on my laptop (the
podcasts are also available on the nlii Web site).

  “Our students are walking around with amazing devices, and we want to
let them figure out how to use them,” said one campus leader. “We need
to go to the next level; the digital lifestyle,” said another. The ADC
participants spoke of the Stanford spring pilots in downloadable
learning. They commended the University of Missouri School of
Journalism project for “taking content and crafting it [for podcasting]
in a way that makes it significant.” They raved about students using
iPods not just for lectures, but to capture their own performances,
whether in Spanish class, on stage, or at podium. Most of all, though
they urgently invited campuses to climb on board and share the
experiment,  they acknowledged the movement as self-driving. Even as it
was officially launched, “the community is already bigger than just the
charter members,” CSU-Monterey Bay’s John Itellson gladly admitted. He
then urged campus administrators and faculty to see the movement as
individual-to-individual, rather than institution-to-institution.

  How can you get on board? Contact [log in to unmask] or your
local Apple reps (www.apple.com). And make sure you keep Campus
Technology apprised of your podcasting progress. Our new eLetter,
Technology-Enabled Teaching (www.campus-technology.com/subscriptions)
debuts this month, and is looking for your opinion and case study
submissions about forays into this and other exciting teaching
technologies.

Please contact Web editor Rich Seeley, at [log in to unmask]  .

Katherine Grayson is Editor-in-Chief of Campus Technology.

This article originally appeared in the 3/1/2005 Issue of Campus
Technology