]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCHOOL-IT Home

SCHOOL-IT  March 2005

SCHOOL-IT March 2005

Re: Tech Conference and prof dev request

John McSweeney <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:46:25 -0500

  I am including the message from Bill Romond and comments from Lucie
deLaBruere as part of this request...... The topic of open/closed
networks and issues would be very informative and enlightening and I
look forward to listening to colleagues approaches and
solutions.........
That being said....... here is my request plea to the IT list folks.....
Given the increased network admin, security, demands ( ie the
inordinate amount of time devoted to updating, patches, malware,
deciphering firewall logs for potential attacks and port scans and
mysterious packet traffic) and the fact that there are many smaller
schools with single tech support spread thin between pipes and wires
and integration support....

I feel I am not alone in wanting professional development opportunities
this summer, to sharpen my skills and get a running start on next year
for getting a handle on overseeing my internet traffic, keeping
multiple security threats at bay,  effectively managing windows
security issues at the desktop level, learning about strategies and
techniques that are working at other schools.

If people know of trainings/programs/summer offerings to recommend - I
would be very appreciative--- beyond that is there a way to self design
a summer session 3-5 days- maybe different locations to see different
setups.... to share knowledge and strategies.......a tech coodinators'
syposium seminar ( not for geeks only) to impart practical know how and
problem solving capability.

and to Bill R.... is this the kind of defined pd need that could be
coordinated through doe/IId funding????