Re: Great Grey owls in Vermont

Ian Worley <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Mar 2005 06:03:49 -0500

Hi Everyone,

My e-mail was down for much of yesterday so I could not respond to your
queries..

Regarding the Westford Swamp report --- At Essex Center take Route 128
toward Westford. After about two miles turn right onto Osgood Hill
Road. Proceed about three miles north on Osgood Hill Road; watch for a
large open wetland west of the road.... you will be able to see parts of
it from the road but will need to access it across fields or via
driveways/lanes. There is also another, smaller, much more wooded
wetland also on the left side of the road prior to the large one. If
you get to MacHia Hill Road you have gone too far. The wetland is
fairly large, but can easily be walked along on the east side (the road
side). There is a stream down the middle of the wetland, be careful if
you choose to cross the stream where it is frozen over. The hills to
the west side are accessible around the north end of the wetland, if you
cannot cross the stream through the wetland. The sighting was likely
along the east edge of the wetland..

My informant gave me these comments yesterday:

"The identification is my best guess by looking at my
field guide and photos on the web. The feature that
struck me was it's long tail and overall size. It was
up in an old red maple a few mornings ago around 8am.

"Not as unusual I know, but I also saw what I am pretty
sure was a barred owl last evening--I feel very
confident they were not one in the same. This was only
twenty or so feet from me.

"A week or two ago my neighbor reported seeing an owl
hanging around...she couldn't really provide a good
description though."

Regarding the Stowe report --- the possible sighting was "at Trapp Family Lodge (on the snowshoe trail between the chapel and the cabin) on February 27th (afternoon)". The photos are currently trapped on the hard drive of a crashed computer. When the folks who took the photos get the computer up and running again we'll see what the photos say.

With the change to spring well underway, I wanted to get these observations out to a wider audience just in case, even though they might be deadends.

Had an adult bald eagle circle our house (on the southern end of Snake Mountain in Cornwall) about 50 feet high yesterday midday. Don't know if it was attracted to our geese and chickens who were wandering around sunning, or ......

Best wishes,

Ian