]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  March 2005, Week 5

SKIVT-L March 2005, Week 5

Lost Trail Powder Mountain, MT 26MAR05 (Images)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:43:16 -0700

Lost Trail reported 8 inches of new snow as they resumed operation for the
weekend, so most folks were excited to get up on the hill and enjoy the
powder.  For the most part, the past week has been cloudy and cool with some
moisture, and the biggest snowfall accumulations occurred around midweek.
Even some of the people who can’t wait for spring to come have been happy to
see us get into a cooler, wetter pattern.  There’s a lot of concern about
what this fire season will be like with the below normal snowpack.

I arrived at the hill in good time to make the lineup, which in this case
was at the junction of the Bunny Hill and Drifter as everyone awaited the go
ahead for Chair 2 loading.  I found Paul and Claire (who also work at the
laboratory) as we waited.  Strangely, the wait turned into 10, then 15, then
20 minutes, and finally I decided to head out and seek another lift.  Claire
came with me on her skis and Paul decided to work on his snowboarding alone.
  We cut across the flat areas near the base and made it over to Chair 5 in
just a couple of minutes.  We were happy to see it running, and I figured
we’d made the correct decision since there was still no sign of Chair 2
opening up.

We took a quick run down the Chair 5 lift line (Bobcat), which was my first
chance to find out how the new snow was skiing.  In many areas the snow had
been compacted by the wind, so it was challenging powder skiing.  We
continued on down to Side Street and while the snow was deeper, it had still
seen the effects of some sun and wind.  I think we were the first people
there for entire day though, as I couldn’t see any other tracks in the area.

While riding Chair 4, I mentioned to Claire that I was on the lookout for
another colleague from the lab, Valerie, who was skiing with her husband
Dominik.  I only had a slight idea of what Val was wearing (various shades
of blue) but Claire said that she had just seen a couple fitting my
description under the lift.  Well, if Val and Dom had made it over to Chair
4 and she’d seen them, there was a good chance we could find them again.

The Ripper looked pretty wind sculpted, so I decided to check out the
Sacajewea trees for a first run.  There was actually some nice powder on
Sacajewea, but as soon as possible, I cut us into the trees to the skier’s
right of the trail.  Clair was impressed with the conditions in the trees,
and made quick work of them.  Since Claire is from France, I wasn’t sure how
interested she would be in skiing the trees, but it turns out they are one
of her favorite types of ski terrain.  I’d always heard that not many people
in Europe liked skiing in the trees, but Claire informed me that that wasn’t
exactly correct.  She explained the main issue:  unlike the way most resorts
are set up in the U.S., where there is simply a boundary to boundary policy,
tree areas are considered “off piste” at many European resorts.  Therefore,
it takes a bigger commitment if you are going to go and ski the trees.  From
our discussions, it seems that she has skied a lot of backcounty (including
trees) in Europe.  Anyway, she’s been here in Montana for about four months
and has been enjoying the tree skiing.

Connecting over to Lewis and Clark through the trees, I saw a skier clothed
in tri-color blue, and wondered if it could be Val.  It turns out it was,
and she and Dom had gotten off at the Chair 4 mid station and were on their
way into the powder of the Odyssey trail.  Claire and I joined them, and we
found variable consistency powder.  I found the lightest, deepest snow on
the skier’s right, where the 8 inches hadn’t settled much.  We finished off
down Bob’s Run, which had adequate coverage, but much more settled snow due
to its southern exposure.

On the next run, Val and Dom were game to try the Ripper, so we headed down
the wind sculpted face.  I took Claire slightly to the skier’s left under
the lift to hit “The Slot”.  I suspected that as usual, it would be
minimally affected by the wind, and boy was I right.  I got to crank some
nice high speed turns in the unblemished powder as we dropped down to the
lower reaches of the face.  I was shouting out some serious noise by the
time I’d hit the bottom, and Claire agreed it was the best snow if the day
so far.  The snow below the face was also really nice on this side of the
mountain, and our foursome regrouped for some fun turns on the lower slopes
of the Ripper.  Claire then jumped into the trees, as did I, to enjoy more
of the good snow.

I was thinking about the snow conditions, when suddenly I remembered Elk
Basin.  I suspected it would have good snow as usual, and none of the others
had ever even been there.  Unfortunately, we lost Claire as she met up with
another friend, but I got to introduce Val and Dom to Elk Basin.  The snow
was excellent, and on the first pitch I got turns to match those in “The
Slot”.  Due to timing, we took our next run in the same direction, but
headed back to the main base via Lower Oreo.  The snow in the trees around
the upper parts of Oreo was fantastic, probably due to its relatively high
elevation and protection.  Overall, it was great morning of turns.

On another skiing note, I finally (after about a decade) got a new pair of
ski pants.  I’ve been applying duct tape to my current pair of Mountain
Hardwear Gore-Tex pants for about 5 years, and I’m on my third layer of tape
for the cuffs.  The pants have gained substantial weight due to all the duct
tape holding them together (if you’ve seen them you’ll understand), and
they’ve needed to be replaced for years.  Still, I didn’t want to commit
money to a new pair yet, especially one that I wasn’t sure I’d like.  I’ve
seen what Arc’teryx has to offer, and I was thinking about some of their
Minuteman Pants, until we went up to Missoula and I checked them out.  It
turns out that the Theta SK pants were much more the style I wanted:  they
feature Gore Tex XCR, full (almost) side zips, articulated knees, powder
cuffs, rugged cuff patches, and the supposed high quality of Arc’teryx.  The
pants are unfortunately quite expensive ($375 retail) but I found them
online for around $300 through moosejaw.com.  Arc’teryx also seems to have a
degree of sizing options to match their product quality.  They’ve got five
sizes in the pants (XS-XL) each with three sub sizes (short, regular, and
long) so almost anyone can get a perfect fit.  Mine fit so well that I don’t
even want to take them off after skiing.  Anyway, so far I’m very impressed
with the pants.  I don’t think they’ll be any question about they’re ability
to keep me dry; the big test will be how well they hold up over the next few
seasons of hard skiing.  If I can get a decade or so of hassle-free dryness
out of the Theta SK pants, then the investment will certainly have been
worth it.

A few pictures from the day can be found at:

http://www.jandeproductions.com/2005/26MAR05.html

J.Spin