MEDLIB-L March 2005, Week 1

John Tagg <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:07:23 -0500

Summary of responses:

We had a demo of the EOS program a couple of weeks ago. We too are
SydneyPlus users and not happy ones at that. After watching the demo
EOS is definitely on our list of programs to investigate in more depth.
The difference between EOS, in the demo at least, and SydneyPlus is like
night and day. One of the things that really impressed me is they don't
hide the suggestions that customers make for improving the system.
Apparently as a customer you can submit suggestions AND see what others
have requested. SydneyPlus always tells us they will add it to the list
but we don't know if they do or if anyone else has requested a similar
change.

Also, EOS is not client server based which has become a problem for us
as we have become an international organization since shortly after we
first purchased SydneyPlus. With our current set up we can not give our
department libraries outside of Boise access to SydneyPlus because the
response time between sites is incredibly slow. The option offered was
for us to buy another package for each site. Between that suggestion
and the cost of upgrading to version 3.0, not to mention numerous issues
we have with the current version, we are seriously considering making a
changing to a new program.

When we purchased SydneyPlus, Tony Sadat, who is now at EOS, was either
President or Vice President of SydneyPlus so he has a good insight into
how SydneyPlus works and looks like has used that knowledge to help EOS
compete with SydneyPlus.

We have used EOS products since our library began in 1991. They were called Data Trek back then. We currently use their Q-Series product. I think they are currently trying to get new customers interested in their Web based product. That is where I'd go if we were just starting up. Sydney was one of the other products we reviewed when we originally chose a system in 1991 and then again when we upgraded systems in 1998. I believe that we didn't go with them because they were a tad more expensive and there were a few features of Data Trek that Sydney didn't have that we liked.
We have been very happy with the product, the service, and the responsiveness of the vendor. The staff are very knowledgeable and many of them are actually librarians and understand what we are saying. The product is extremely robust. There is a user group that works closely with EOS and the user group votes on what enhancements are implemented next. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions if you have them.
It's interesting that they are targeting Sydney customers. I have been getting 2 to 3 calls a year for the last 5-6 years from SydneyPlus trying to get me to come to demonstrations, etc. and switch to their product.

We have their GLAS modules + the OPAC, it's ok, but it includes a lot of
stuff we don't use, plus we can't do some of the stuff we want to. We
might be upgrading to their web version. They are expensive, but for the
most part do a good job. We use their server, which cuts down on many of
the problems, and we don't need our IT people for that, but like I said,
it is expensive.

We are a longtime SydneyPlus client who in 2004 signed a contract with
EOS. We are currently mid conversion, hoping to complete the process
later this month. EOS.Web has some nice features (software, staff)yet
is not perfect (what is, right?), but we became disillusioned with
SydneyPlus last year, after allmost 20 years of use.

Granted - I have not used other systems such as EOS or SydneyPlus - I just wonder how many of these systems accommodate the special needs of medical libraries - especially smaller medical libraries that might not be able to afford the $$ for some systems.

Our library started using Cybertools for Libraries five months ago, and it is clear the Cybertools company has a background in hospitals and knows what goes on in a medical library - and the product supports those needs (NLM Medical Subject Headings, serials management, in addition to cataloging and circulation).

Without having used other systems, I am curious - do any of them offer these more specialized functions? Do the librarians feel as though these companies are 'in touch' with medical library needs?

I am a former EOS user who "jumped ship." They have a nice product, but the
pricing structure just got too expensive for our needs & size. I looked at
SydneyPlus, but I went with a product from Softlink Ameria that I thought
was not only close to flawless, but that cost me much less/year. The
suppport has been terrific.

As a former EOS customer, I was looking for something a bit more cost
conscious and flexible enough to suit a small medical library. I found it
in Softlink. It allows you to import cataloging records from Z..... (I'm at
home, so the # eludes me) libraries out on the web. This feature alone is
worth its weight in gold for the one-person library! It makes the
cataloging process seamless. There are plenty of medical libraries from
which this BookWhere feature draws.
In addition, they provide the ability to catalog websites as well as
conventional records. The online training (not having to go out for it:
they Webex with you right on your desktop which means you are training with
your own catalog) has been accessible, convenient, and allows me to do it
when I need it. Support from Softlink's staff has been great. This is not
an advertisement, but it is an endorsement of another product that is out
there but about which one hears little. There seems to be aggressive
marketing going on out there, so we need to alert one another to what
works/doesn't work.

EOS sales staff, including very helpful Dayspring Fowler
[log in to unmask] , would be happy to discuss EOS.Web
fuctionality. Dayspring was never pushy, and always helpful. We don't
print the combo of spine & pocket labels here, but when I just inspected
a EOS.Web functionality, & that's one of the cataloging print options:
"Spine/Pocket Labels". I don't think this topic was mentioned in our
training last month, so I don't exactly know how it works. I believe
that EOS is now working on about 10 Syd conversions.

When I did a 5-year cost analysis, EOS.Web was the big winner over
SydneyPlus SQL. Syd wouldn't even negotiate on price, but instead
became annoyingly agressive to us. We have Syd circulation & serials
modules, but not the Web OPAC module, and that's automatically included
in EOS.Web. I am a former co-chair of the SydneyPlus user group here in
the Washington DC region, and Syd turned me from a true fan into a
semi-traitor, so they began to bug my boss, who has never been a fan of
Syd software. Have they been calling you?

Having said all that, there are functions in SydneyPlus 11.3 that are
not currently in EOS.Web. One example is sorting by date (a & d), which
we find very useful in a special library. Temporarily, EOS will be
creating an asecending year sort for us, but a forthcoming enhancement
for year sorting is being considered.

We asked both Syd & EOS staff to give us a demo, and our librarians
decided that EOS.Web features were preferred. So our decision to switch
to EOS.Web was based on price & functionality.

EOSi may seem a little pricey, but they have Excellent customer service.
We've used different versions of EOS for the last 10 years and we've been
mostly happy with it. They are very responsive to enhancement suggestions
and will build the system according to what users need and want ...

The biggest thing is that they are still around ... 10 years ago when my
library director was choosing a library automation system, she choose EOSi
(Databridge then). Their competition isn't even around anymore ... She
chose well, I'd say.

We recently switched to EOS.Web, and I have to tell you I love it.
The system we had prior to EOS, while Web-based, was menu-driven and clunky.
I just finished training on EOS with 2 other librarians, and they had other
experiences with other systems. They also liked the EOS system; they found
some functions that would be very useful. They had a different base of
comparisons than I do, but overall found many good features.

            We are a very small library--about 2,000 volumes and 200 journals.
These are some of the things that I like about EOS.Web:
            I can see where I am no matter which module or which section I am
working in.
            Their EAsyMarc cataloging is a non-cataloger's dream to use.
            Their system can generate automatic overdue notices and automatic
serials claims.
            Customer support is great--I almost always get an immediate
response.
            We can put pdf documents or images into the OPAC.

            There have been a few hurdles, but Customer Services has overcome
most of them.

John Tagg
Librarian
Health Disciplines Library