MEDLIB-L March 2005, Week 1

Susan Klawansky <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:46:11 -0500

Several weeks ago, I solicited your opinions regarding what the hospital
library of the future should be called.  I had many thoughtful and
interesting responses, and here they are.

Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to share their thoughts.  What
will we do?  Not sure yet, but these responses will give us lots to consider:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have the pleasure to know Dr. David Sackett - "father of evidence based
medicine" author of 6 books, over 60 chapters in books and over 300
articles. He wrote" evidence based medicine how to practice and teach."

David calls them libraries because he says  -- everyone knows what that means.

Add staff or hospital or health or medical or what ever you need to add but
please retain library

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It seems that something in the line of "information center" will be more
attractive to you clientele. Many people don't make the connection between
"library" and information, unfortunately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I like "Knowledge Center."  This is a good name for any information center
in a health care setting for professional use only.  This name is also a
good match to JACHO standards.  In addition, it is easy for you to extend
your services or to add a unit for patients/families.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In academic librarianship, a recent concept is "information commons" - some
place for all things information: the library, computer labs, etc.  You
might want to read up on information commons (I don't know what the plural
of commons is - commonses?) and see if it fits what your new facility will be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You might talk with your administrators about having the library be given a
person's name to honor that person. Oh boy, was that ever badly stated.

Renaming your library when you move into a new space might be an opportunity
for management to honor someone important. Lots of hoopla, energy and
increased interest-in your library could be generated from this effort.
Think of the positive marketing aspect. Plus, this would be your suggestion.
I'll bet it would be met with some interest. Naming things always gets gongs
for the namer and for the administration that actually does it. Plus, it
adds a sense of importance to the library. How can the get rid of a named
library without dissing the honoree. Tee hee.

Personally, I'd like to see us get away from "medical" as a
library-associated term and think about the library as a "health" library
(but this is just my personal opinion and of course not worth the paper it
is written on).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you want to stretch what you do, the phase, "Library and Information
Resources Center," is good.  It gives a sense of the past and future, and is
familiar to your users.  One additional query:  Being the mercenary thing
that I am, why do you not want to name the library after someone?  You can
raise a fair amount of money to pay for the upgrading of your library.  If
you (or your fund raising division) do it right, you can easily raise in
excess of $100,000.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our library is named "Health Sciences Library" and I am very comfortable
with that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maybe Health Information Center?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am a newly-opened medical library in a newly-opened hospital.  We have 4
libraries within our healthcare system now, each with a unique name.  Two
use the word "library" and two do not.  Since yours is a children's
hospital, would it be possible to include that aspect in the name in some way?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Could always title it "...... Library and Information Center."  "Information
Center" conveys some modernity in that a library is more than a
facility/space (electronics, wireless, services, etc.) while "Library" in
the title acknowledges some of your basic functions that people are familiar
with (books, periodicals, research, computers ...).  I worked in one place
that was just called an "Information Center" and I was always explaining
what I did to patrons and others who had no clue.  Now, I head up
"Information Resources" and to puzzled staff and visitors I say "I'm the
librarian." Only then do their quizzical looks disappear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
New employees will look for "library" in the organizational chart, web site
or phone book.  Other names tend to attract calls from people looking for
medical records, computer support, educational programs or media/design
support -- unless you do handle those services?  Pick a name that that will
be clearly indicates "services relating to the literature", and not some
other department.

Use a descriptive tag like AMA's "Physicians dedicated to health of America"
to expand the role of the library.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What, no Zachary P Morphogen iii and Illiterata Analphabetica Memorial
Library?  "Library" is a fine moniker and smacks of soul of learning.  It is
redolent of erudition and the printed page.  Please do not call it a
learning centre (forgive the spelling, I am a Brit) or a patron resource or
a documentation something, and please do not call your readers clients or
patrons, and please fight for every square inch of space, and please keep as
much print as you can.  If you must change the name, then go back to
"Bibliotheca", but do not try to re-name or re-define one of society's most
valuable services.  On the other hand, please feel free to ignore this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How about Library and Collaborative Education Center.  Our space, even
though not generous, has become increasingly important as a space for
working on team and collaborative projects, both school and hospital
related.  The students are from local colleges and community colleges who do
clinical rotations in our host hospital.

I hate to lose the term library, as I think you lose so much .  But maybe
add on another phrase, such as what I suggested.  So many of the alternative
names for library, given in the effort to "modernize" are basically
undecipherable to many, and certainly most do not have the inviting,  open
to all, qualities that the word library has.  They sound like code words,
that everyone does not have the key to, for what is basically a library.
Resource Center, Learning Center, Knowledge based resource center, Education
Center...  To me, none convey the basic tenets of a library and its
services.  That's just my opinion.

You might want to use Medical Center instead of Hospital, as it has even
broader implications, in my opinion.  I do get your point about just using
Medical, however, and agree with your reasoning  that Hospital would be
preferable.  Consider Medical Center......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan--a lot of places are moving to "resource center" instead of library
but I agree with you about liking library in the name.  We were the "Medical
Staff Library" then "Medical Library".  When I took over we broadened our
mission to serve all hospital staff.  We changed our name to the more
generic "health resource library".  This was fortunate since we broadened
our mission further, recently, to include consumer health.  A number of
libraries in our area are "health resources library" or "health science
resource center" similar.  Another popular name is "knowledge center" or
"professional library" which I don't personally like.  I'm fond of "health
science library" also or its plural "health sciences library".  You could
always head down the information route--"Information resource center",
"library and information center" or "library and health information center"
or combine them as "health information library".  You could try various
acronyms like Health Education Library but then you'd be HEL which isn't too
nice. Health Education Resources would be HER.  Health Information Library
would be HIL, or add "research" or "resource" like Research and Information
Center for RIC or play around with health, education, information, research,
resource, library, center, knowledge, etc. in various combinations.  Good
luck.

You might consider a bunch of these words with magnets on the back and let
your users play around with variations of them against a metal wall or
cabinet or whatever.  Let them suggest other words to add to the mix.  They
might get a kick out of it and enjoy being part of the process.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How about Health Sciences Learning & Information Center?  (since you have a
conference room - will that be used for teaching??)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell me you are not considering becoming a "Cybrary". Probably my
age, but that and "cybrarian" (yes,I know someone whose business card reads
that way) rub me wrong - very forward sounding but at least in 2005 not
well-defined - and in a hospital people might confuse "cybra" with "cryo"! I
still think Library is a useful part of our services' names.  For most
people it means books and journals and knowledgeable assistance. And while
it can be limiting if clients interpret library to be only books and
journals - and I don't think most medical staff would - you can add
Information Center or Resource Center to the name: Hospital Library and
Information Center to expand the idea.  I think Information/Resource Center
alone is too open to interpretation and vague. Everyone has information and
is a resource these days! We used to be Library and Information Services but
I dropped the "Information" when our Computing Services unilaterally decided
they were Information Services and things got confusing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We moved to a new library a year ago and we decided to drop our old,
confusing name (Learning Resources Center) and go back to Medical Library.
("Hospital Library" is a good option, too, as you suggest.)

Look in the medlib-l archives for my rant on this topic sometime in 2003.  I
even convinced myself- not to give up the time-honored and still useful name
of "library".  Let the definition grow and evolve, as our role has and
continues to do.

I see it this way- if we call a spade a spade, we can spend less time
explaining it's a spade and more time digging with it.  :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There's always "Resource Center"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Personally, I insisted on keeping "the L word" in our name when we revamped
 operations because it is familiar, recognizable, and even non-users know
what a library is.  We also didn't want to be confused with "medical
records", which is formally called "Health Information Management Services."
 So, taking a cue from JCAHO-speak, in which their only nod to libraries
refers to "knowledge-based resources," we are officially the Knowledge
Resource Library.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I went to the education committee when I was renaming my library and adding
a new consumer health library.  I wanted some feedback from professionals in
our hospital.  There are a variety of people on our education committee,
including a few physicians.

The old name of our library was Health Sciences Library.  It was designed to
be a health professional facility.   Since the new patient library was going
to be adjacent to the professional library, yet a separate facility with a
separate entrance, I wanted more descriptive names.

Of all the names we considered, I chose Physician and Staff Health Science
Library for the health professional side and Community Medical Library for
the consumer health library.

We did consider a name that included Resource instead of Library, but
everyone thought that was too confusing and unclear about what is a
....Resource...  Everyone felt much more comfortable with the word Library.
 With the word library, they thought of books, journals, computers,
Internet, etc.

A few people thought that Physician and Staff Health Science Library was too
long and I should just rename it Medical Library.  During my predecessors
time, when the library was first called Medical Library and then changed to
Health Sciences Library, many people in the hospital thought it was just for
the Medical Staff (physicians).  I also considered Physician and Employee
Health Science Library, which in retrospect might have been better than
Physician and Staff Health Science Library, since the words of the latter
seem too similar too Medical Staff, implying physicians only.

Anyway, those are the steps I took and things I considered.  Two years ago,
I in the Spring/Summer/Fall of 2002, I think I also posted a similar
question to the Listserv to generate some ideas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is an ongoing debate here as well. Many feel that the word 'library' is
too old fashioned.

How about 'Seattle Children's Information & Resource Centre' ??

A friend of mine works at a TAFE in Melbourne that recently moved into new
premises and subsequently took on a new name.  I didn't know what to think
of the new spelling of library at first ... it is the 'William Angliss
Cybrary'. What do you think of that word?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I called the library the Health Information Center for years, but it was
confusing to the staff because Medical Records is called Health Information
Management Services and the computer group is called Information Services.
I have changed the name to Health Sciences Library.  It is less confusing.

Knowledge and Information Center...I'll be interested in learning what
others think and what you decide.

My vote is   Health Sciences Library

Now, if you want to differentiate a particularly "notable" service, you
could do something like      Health Sciences Library and Informatics Lab,
Health Sciences Library and Media Services, Etc

I'm a strong believer in using the term Library in the title.  Anything such
as "resource center", information center, etc. gets confused with other
hospitals departments (e.g., human resources, IS/IT dept, medical records
info, information desk, insurance information, etc.).  Everyone knows what a
library is.  But that's just my two cents...

I faced a similar situation recently when our library moved.  In my case,
the new location is much closer to "public traffic" and I wanted to inform
passerbys that the library was intended for health professionals.  I also
wanted to keep the name brief.  We ended up changing from "Health Sciences
Library" to "Staff Library", which to me includes medical staff and hospital
personnel, and should deter those looking for the latest novel.

Susan Klawansky
Children's Hospital & Regional Medical Center
Seattle, WA