MEDLIB-L March 2005, Week 1

Advisory .com request summary

Elyse Pike <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:12:43 -0500

Thanks to all who took the time to answer
In very brief summary it is
- too much money for too little value
- Industry oriented vs patient care oriented.
- Administrators like it - librarians are lukewarm
- Possibly past it's "best by" date and coasting on laurels

The final message is the most positive of the lot.

It also seems to be something administrators purchase without ever
consulting with library or information services professionals.

It gives daily updates on medical news, particularly policy and industry
reports.
I receive the daily updates.  My personal opinion is that it is biased
Towards the health care industry as opposed to patient care.  Further, it
Is heavy on U.S. news with reports on legislation and government
Regulations.  So don't know how that would work for you as a Canadian
library.

They continue to be ridiculously expensive, but what they do is quite
unique.

Our hospital is still a member (too expensive I think), I used to use their
reports a lot but several years ago they changed the structure of services
and types of reports. So I have probably not used them at all in over two
years. I would be interested in other library comments!

Our hospital administration subscribes to this and I get it by default as it
were.  I don't always get to read it (no time) but I try to at least look at
the subjects covered on any given day.   Sometimes I find some really
interesting stuff that I print and file away for future reference.  And at
least I know what folks are talking about when they mention certain
articles.  I could probably do without it (though I'm not sure some of the
administrators could) but when I get a call from someone wanting something
that has been mentioned on today's letter, it sure is nice to be able to go
to it and get the real info rather than what somebody remembered or tried to
interpret.

The medical center here is a "member"; I have no idea how much it costs,
although I know it is quite expensive.  I signed up to receive a number of
their news "updates", which are subject oriented and can be useful. Their
library of reports and documents can be very handy because they focus on a
lot of administrative issues at the institutional level, which is not
something you find reported in the mainstream medical literature.

I know a lot of the administrative staff here are enamored of HCAB's
services, conferences, demonstration projects, etc.  Are they worth the
money?  Who knows--I take advantage of anything I can find on their web site
since it is essentially free to me.

Both of the hospitals I've worked at over the past 7 years have subscribed
to advisory.com.  To be frank I use it rarely.  One of our adminstrators
receives emails from them daily on news topics.  She sends those out to
various departments.  Every once in awhile I get requests for articles
mentioned in those news items.  As far as I know, it is not used much here,
nor was it used much at my previous job.

   My hospital subscribes to Advisory Board, and I use it for searching
mainly for administrative type articles.  It's useful to a point. If there's
enough on the topic and it's pretty straightforward, I can sometimes find
what I want, but if it's an obscure subject there's no way to search for it
like we do in PubMed (AND, OR, NOT, etc.).
   Plus, some of the articles in PDF are available to subscribers, some are
not.  If I need one not allowed for us right away, I call and depending on
who I talk to, either get the article soon or have to wait (which can be
nerve-wracking when doing that for an administrator).
   So, my take:  it's sort of good if you are not in a big hurry and aren't
looking for something too trivial.  It's good for recent hospital news, and
comparisons of other hospitals and issues/projects they are involved with.
And sometimes, a reference will lead you to a medical journal.  It's not so
helpful when the most recent searches you come up with all are several years
old.  My hospital subscribes only to the cardiovascular part, in addition to
the general part.  There are other sections that cost extra to subscribe to,
like the cancer section, etc.
   Maybe you could get a free trial.  If you do, play around with it a lot
and you'll see what I mean.

Our hospital has been a member of the Health Care Advisory Board (HCAB) for
many years. I have been asked to investigate if the same services are
available elsewhere. Their services include meetings, classes, and
publications, all geared to hospital administrators, with particular focus
on forecasting and market trends.
Have any of your hospitals quit HCAB? If so, has it been missed? Did you
replace it with a similar service?
I would be curious to hear too if any of your hospitals are still a member
and think it is well worth the money.
And whether you are at a hospital or not, can you recommend any business or
organization that is providing this kind of information to administrators?
HCAB used to do research on any topic for any member hospital and then share
that research in "Fact Briefs". These reports were full of substance and
beautifully presented, and they did hundreds per year. Every topic
imaginable was covered; they even had three Fact Briefs on how to manage a
hospital library. A few years ago HCAB dropped this service and now they
only provide forecasting and marketing information for upper level
management. Venues are teleconferences, meetings, a few reports per year,
and a daily email news service. They apparently stopped taking questions
from non-administrators; at least in our case after years of kind, helpful
service, they no longer answer our calls and emails.
Three librarians responded that they benefit from the email news service.
One said the reports are still helpful. Is it worth the incredible price of
membership? A couple of respondents are cynical like me. After all, my
hospital pays more for one section of HCAB than for my entire electronic
resources budget. But one respondent says that her hospital subscribes to
all sections of HCAB and she handles it so all that money is in her budget.
Her administration thinks HCAB is invaluable.
:
My organization is a member.  I search the site for relevant studies and
have requested custom research assistance which was very helpful and timely.
My organization also works with the AB to deliver a series of Leadership
training sessions.  We have had about 10 different workshops and a number
are planned for 2005.  presenters are very professional and knowledgeable.
A very good supplement to what we offer internally.

Elyse Pike
Health Sciences Librarian
Grey Bruce Health Services
1800 8th St. E