MEDLIB-L March 2005, Week 2

Susan Klawansky <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:51:41 -0500

Hi everyone - My original posting asked for your ideas on how to create a
compelling presentation for physicians, at a Grand Rounds, on library
services. As you'll see from the summary below, I had many creative

I'd like to draw your attention to the response I've placed first. I don't
recall this exchange, and would like to search for it in the archives. But
without more information, I fear drowning in retrieval. If any of you has
any further information about this, please contact me directly.

Susan Klawansky
Children's Hospital & Regional Medical Center
Seattle, WA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About five years ago, I remember there was a lively discussion in Medlib
about a librarian's LEGENDARY presentation. This presentation struck most
commenting MEDlibbers as revolutionary because instead of spouting the usual
library stuff, it told the non-librarian audience some stuff that they might
really want to hear.

The topic was something like "How to get published" or "How you can get
published". The presenter's name and approach must be in the Medlib
archives somewhere.

I've worked in other types of libraries and to me this "Tell them something
they want to hear" type of presentation is common sense. Treat it like an
indepth reference question (like the Term Paper Clinics I remember doing, by
appointment only, in a university library's ref. dept. many years ago), line
up your online and even print sources, do some reality checks with some well
published docs beforehand (those who have used your library of course!) and
make it lively. Include some "blunders" if you want to, Dr. XYZ did such
and such, and this is why he shouldn't have, if only he had looked in...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I first got here five years ago, my manager was asked to present at a
Grand Rounds and she did as you suggested with the list of resources and
services. Apparently it was not well received. One of our favorite docs
suggested that next time we plan the presentation with someone on the
medcial staff and go through a case study or two about how the information
gleaned from library resources supplemented or even changed the course of
patient care. He thought the information would be more relevant presented
in that manner, and that sharing billing with a respected member of the
medical staff would emphasize the partnership between physician and
librarian. If we ever get invited back, we'll try this route.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is there a burning issue for your audience? Perhaps rather than tell them
about your resources, you could take a topic, supplied by them prior to the
rounds, and demonstrate how you found the answer. When I did our Family
Practice rounds, they were being inundated with requests for information
about a “new “ procedure that had been featured in the newspaper. Maybe
you could tie it in with EBM somehow?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you're doing a PowerPoint presentation-

TOP 10 LIST: You could do a Dave Letterman imitation, a "top 10" list and
feature the "top 10 most underutilized services of the library", or the "Top
10 things not known about the library", etc.

Grand Rounds are cases, right?

ACTUAL CASES: You could get actual medical cases from the chief residents or
someone else and indicate what information resources could help get more
background information.

LIBRARY CASES: Another idea - wouldn't it be kind of fun to write your own
"library cases" based on frequently asked user questions, to cover various
scenarios and library services? eg. Chief resident approaches the librarian
with a request for information on X for a meeting with parents of a child
with X. Wants to know if the library has information of a non-technical
nature...or Medical student is rotating through the NICU and needs
information on X. Wants to know what will him him start getting background
information. Wants to know if he can get into the library on the
weekend...or Attending is working from home, preparing to do a presentation
for residents on X. Wants to know if he can remotely access information
electronically from home. Wants to know if his secretary can come, pull and
copy information...or CEO of hospital wants to know if the library has any
business journals that will help him track what the hospital down the street
is doing...

When we train our first year students in our problem-based learning
environment, that is the approach we take - theory, short scenarios...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think the concept of the "information continuum" is fascinating - the
development of a gleam in some researcher's eye all the way through the
process until the concept is established practice, and what types of
publications one can expect along the way. Today that probably starts with
blogs & chatlines, then on to meeting presentations & abstracts, preliminary
papers, expanded or final papers, medical textbooks, and finally the popular
press (consumer health). Sidelines will be the products that are distilled
down for easy use by the physicians: "essence of information," as it were.
  Online resources, CD's, PDA's, and now even info that can be loaded onto
cell phones (per latest UpToDate info that I got today).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Would a physician partner/co-presenter work? Someone who has been a champion
for your library and is well-respected by the staff? If yes, that partner
may have some neat insights for you about how to approach the program.

Do you have a neat case study that the two of you could present together
that would tell a story? Physicans are used to the case study approach.
Half CSI and half "How did they do that?"

If not, maybe some video clips embedded in your PowerPoint? Summaries or
testimonials from a few good library users showing how they achieved good
results by working with the library?

Or maybe a Pediatric Resident with a good sense of humor that everyone likes?

Just brainstorms......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Depends on what you have, but when I speak w/ docs, I stress the "get info
quick for your own convenience", and also that they can just give us a call
in the library for us to get any kind of info they want, from book chapters
to literature searches, to "a few good articles", to any article they might
want. Also I stress that we can provide them with pt ed materials, and we
are just a phone call, fax, or email away. They like to hear about
emedicine, uptodate, mdconsult, dynamed, any of those "quick look products."
 Then they do like to hear about medline, and linking to full text articles,
for when they have a little more time to fool around with researching a
topic of interest. Some of the electronic textbooks also interest them--
more "quick look" stuff.

I think they like the "quick look" stuff, and then knowing that we are "at
the ready" to provide them almost anything they want, then finally, that if
they do have an interest, a little more about the other electronic resources
we provide. They also like to know that we are available for one-on-one
demo's and instruction. They seem to respond more positively to that level
of instruction than to classes.

Hope this helps. Good luck. I recntly had 10 minutes at the quarterly
general staff meeting, and was met with a very enthusiastic response and
follow up to our presentation of offerings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What about a few case studies highlighting the use of library resources for
solving the problems. You don't have to give the technical names of the
product - i.e. UpToDate or MD Consult. Just give the dilemma that started
the search and the information learned. The interested will follow through
& come asking. Nonlibrary users ignore all hooks you set forth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had to present a short session on library services to the accreditation
team who were doing the hospital accreditation. Like you I wanted something
'different', so I decided to base it on a theme. My theme was going on a
treasure hunt. It went along the lines that I was lucky as I got to go on
treasure hunts nearly everyday! The treasure was that elusive gold nugget
of information a doctor requires. I used a real life request from a
pediatrician who wanted an article. He was not sure of the title, but it
was about .... and probably printed in the last 5 years etc etc. The usual
picture! So I developed a simple powerpoint demo showing how I use
technology. You may be able to do something on a similar theme.

I forgot to add a few things. I explained that the computer was our spade
to do all the hard work, the email was a compass giving us directions and
the internet was our map. At the end I gave them all some 'treasure' - a
gold-wrapped chocolate attached to pirate type treasure map with an X marks
the spot of the library with contact details etc. I was amazed that at the
end they applauded and my General Manager was stunned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did a Grand Rounds several years ago on evidence-based medicine in
psychiatry and used the Loch Ness monster as "the hook"--i.e., the
elusiveness of EBM resources in mental health (at least at that time).

For examples, use some humorous ones, such as the killer soda pop machine
citations that the NLM classes use in PubMed, or the citations to references
about chocolate preferences or gifts of chocolates to health providers.

For "wow 'em" examples, use the searches where the librarian's expertise in
MeSH makes all the difference in the world in search results.

If you're demonstrating more than one database, show the same topic in each
of the databases and how one database covers one aspect better but another
database is stronger in a different aspect of the same topic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been asked to something similar for a physicians' meeting in May. I
was told only about 30 physicians would attend, so I began to think about
something hands on...that is, do a brief (15 minutes) summary and
explanation of the library's offerings and then let them play with the
products. Maybe divide into teams and have a contest. The competitive
aspect might appeal to them. Either that or turn them off completely...you
know, after a hard day at work being asked to use their brains.

One problem would be having enough work stations available. If you had a
wireless zone, you could get people to bring in their laptops. I just
started thinking about this, so I'll be interested in the feedback you get
from the list.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a great opportunity for you. I do one of these lectures each year.
 The first time I talked about the internet and showed them tons of sites
and they loved it. My hook was about time - how much time they waste on the
internet because they don't really know where to look, how to search
efficiently, etc. etc. I started the presentation by slamming down a stack
of papers, journals etc. and said "I spent 3 hours online last night and I
couldn't find anything!" .... pause ... looked around ... and continued
"Sound familiar???" The heads were bobbing like crazy and everyone was
laughing. They will be so grateful to have someone with expertise to show
them the "invisible internet", interesting sites, and search terminology,
and especially how to take advantage of the products that you have available.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can't answer your question, but can suggest telling them you are going to
save them time.

If you are showing them how to use PubMed, it is because it will save them
time. Trying to get them to sign up for Loansome Doc -- it will save them
time. How to access Ovid, it is to save them time. .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It has been my experience that the "older" physicians do not , will not, and
can not learn how to search a database effectively. Why bother trying to
teach them. I would focus on what the specific products do. I would
present your different products by using the same "topic" or "search Terms",
do a search and present the results to show the differences between the
products.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You might try beginning with a clinical example or two (either real ones
that you dealt with, or scenarios that demonstrate why a physician would
consult either you or the library's resources to help obtain the best
clinical information).

I've come here from a long stint at a large academic medical center, and I
enjoy having a physician either come into the library or call me wanting
information for a particular patient issue-- especially if it is something
rare and they want the most recent information on it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don’t know if this will help, but I personally have had better luck when I
categorize my offerings not by the name of the service, but by what’s in it
that applies to them.

For example, rather than putting up posters with names like MD Consult and
Ovid and Elsevier and otehr complex names….I put up a heading saying
“Journals Full-text Access” and then list the services underneath. Most
people don’t recall product names, but they can connect with what they need.
  “Hey, can you get this article full-text from one of those service vendor
thingies?”

So – suddenly – the library has more than just “products.” To them, it has
solutions to problems they have every day.

Imagine yourself in Barnes & Noble. Do you want to see signs that say
“Gothic” or “Noir” or “All McGraw Hill pubs” --? No – you want the section
that has poetry or geography/maps or heath reference regardless who
publishes them. (well, I know I do, anyway)

I had the opportunity to spend a few hours with the lady in charge of
Customer Interactions at the nearby B&N. Boy, did I learn a lot! Mostly,
I learned that my way of thinking was a great system that no one outside the
library world could even hope to interpret. So – I had to meet their needs
as THEY say it. Talk about a huge shift in thinking!

Good luck; if you can hand the physicians 1-page color brochures (or a
tri-fold, which gives you 2 sides) on what problems you can help them
with…that’d be great. If you can actually HAND it to them, they will take
it…..well, we can hope!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You might want to begin your presentation with a statistic - the number of
citations entered in Medline on a yearly basis. The last time I checked it
was over 400,000. From there you can talk about how the library can help
them keep current and manage this flow of information.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Susan, the biggest problem is where to start a research. A lot of times
they came to us not because they don't know the library resources but
because we have so much, they get intimidated. Maybe you can come up with a
few scenarios, and show them how you approach things according to the needs.
 If they have a new diagnosis, they should go to an E-book and find some
description on it right away. If they want to write an article, they need
to search all the medical databases, OCLC WorldCat, NIH web sites,
government statistical sites..., if they want something for their patients,
they need to use the library consumer health database, reputable web sites.
 There might be other resources in your library, so come up some ideas to
cover their different needs. After they have done their research, you can
show them how to obtain these items through Interlibrary Loan.

It is hard for them to remember what you showed them in 1 hour, but at least
they have a general idea where to start looking when they have similar
situations. Maybe you can find a doctor and run your ideas by him, or ask
him what he would do if he needs some literature.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you done anything with handhelds? This really seems popular with the
younger MDs and there is so much downloadable to handhelds now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Perhaps you could find a good example of a real search to start off with
(ask your favorite MD for suggestions as to a good topic) and then show how
the user can go from one resource to another--for example, start in
Harrison's Online (or something like that), there will probably be a link to
PubMed for some of the references, go to PubMed and use "Related articles",
go to full text of the journal article.

I like to also show them DxPlain. Although it is a product marketed
directly to MD's, you could "borrow" someone's login to let MD's know that
it is there and they can use it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Congratulations on this opportunity. I'm certainly no expert, but I think
one of the best things I learned at an MLA chapter meeting was about story
telling in presentations from Susan Taylor Alling. Could you tell a story
from the point of view of a medical staff member who came to you to find
some particular information? It goes along with the tracer methodology for
JCAHO now, how this problem led you to this resource etc. It is a "hook"
every one can appreciate.

I just finished the book "The spirit catches you and you fall down" about
the clash of culture between western medicine and a Hmong family who's
daughter had epilepsy. I know you have access to some wonderful cultural
references in Seattle. Could you personalize it with a story of how it was
 used?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've done quite a few presentations on library resources for physicians and
nurses at my hospital. I've found the best approach is to apply the
information to things they encounter in their day to day work. For example,
I provide examples of different kinds of questions they might encounter in
their rotations such as background questions, drug questions, patient
education, etc.. and then I show them a resource that could answer that
question for them. I've also done presentations in which I use a clinical
case throughout the presentation and demonstrate how library resources can
be used to address different questions that might come up in the course of
treating the patient. The challenge for me is finding the cases/real life
questions. I often consult current awareness resources, like MDConsult, to
see what the hot topics are or I do a Cochrane search to see where there are
conflicting views on a particular topic. I try to focus on
resources/features that are quick and easy to access - and don't spend much
time on the nitty-gritty details of literature searching (that's a different
presentation!). We are fortunate to have access to many electronic
resources so I usually set up a laptop with internet connections to show the
resources live.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Susan, I did a presentation to our Senior mgmt about resources and created a
visual by using bottles of different sizes and pouring coloured water from
one to another (I was talking about how both print and electronic resources
 are needed and that online info is only available reliably from about
1998). I thought at the time one could use boxes of various sizes and
shapes to also talk about variation in resources and delivery. And funding.
 As my time slot was at the end of a very lengthy (and boring) power point
demo from the IT guys I was determined I would be noticed. And I was. And
mgmt remember... I have found our teaching sessions invariably assume more
skills than the docs have.

So my advice is pick a theme - make it funny and have a good unusual visual
to back it up. Do it as a story - I have heard some very memorable "fairy
tales" told to illustrate a point. Bob Cronenberg from Philadelphia PL
being one such presenter.

I always start with "once upon a time". It is a wonderful hook...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think you are on the right track in recognizing that librarians are good
when talking to librarians, but it's tough to translate that over in a way
that clinicians can get jazzed about what we do. I think we all struggle
with that.

I would build your talk off the hospital's mission and strategic plan. For
example, if patient safety is part of their strategic plan, talk about how
good information and knowledge resources contribute to the effectiveness,
safety and reliability of care, patient-centeredness, etc.

Underscore the value of what you do and how it contributes to what they do,
rather than giving them numbers of books and journals. A testimonial or two
couldn't hurt.

Present yourself as a partner in achieving those goals, rather than someone
who "supports" them.

It also might be interesting, if you haven't done this already, to do a
walkaround in the clinical areas to ask practitioners what they need and to
just watch them do what they do. You may come away with an interesting
angle as to how to talk about your work from their perspective.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You would be in a position to know your own doctors and the kinds of
questions they ask better than anyone else... Maybe you could use these to
generate illustrations of how the library can work for them. Quick tricks
of features that would be really useful but are often overlooked are useful.
 I guess that when I address different groups I often try to use the very
generic "hook" of "what's in it for me..." from the perspective of the
user. And, yes, I think case-based illustrations usually work better to
bring that home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Susan, I have given a couple of Grand Rounds regarding library services in
conjunction with presentations from a physician about evidence based
medicine. That worked pretty well - we discussed basics of EBM, and when it
came to the "clinical question" section, I took the question and answered it
using some of the library resources we have. I did it once with captured
medline,etc screens in a powerpoint and I think I did it another time with
internet access in the conference room. I liked doing the presentation with
a physician because it gave more credibility to it. It also meant I did not
have to talk the entire hour! I then gave info out to everyone present
about obtaining passwords, etc to search on their own.