SKIVT-L March 2005, Week 2

Stowe this weekend....

Tom Morrison <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:03:33 -0500

Well, Saturday I was hoping for a Hero Snow, got some of it, but
mainly it was a family day (sorry Jason, just couldn't break away -
I was entertaining friends who had come up with our group).

It snowed most of the day (they got maybe 6 inches friday nite
(maybe a little more and ~4 inches for the next 24 hours) -
but at the top of the mountain - everywhere...all the snow
had no affect on the death cookies and boiler plate ice
that were lurking right underneath the surface and when
you put an edge into it, immediate scrape off, and slide for life...
especially off of Goat, Liftline, National, and Star.

But Sunday...a different matter altogether - I woke up
to breaking clouds, with some snow showers, I was hoping
that the mountain would get more, but that was not to be.
I was really enjoying Big Bruce on Saturday, that part of the
mountain seems neglected (not for long), and some very good
potential for some wild tree runs....then again, I digress...

7:30am start, with several cruisers down Liftline...
3rd one, I decided to call for "any plaid on the mtn"

Bruno answered back...and we weren't too far from each other
(5 minutes behind me)- met, said our hellos as well to his
wife Kirsten, and off we go to the Quad.

Comment about lines: the lines weren't too bad, I'd estimate
~10-15 minutes at its worst,  5 minutes when it was shorter -
not too bad, and my legs needed a little break.

Also, I'd like to say that my view of Stowe has been changed
dramatically - 6 years ago, was the last time I went to Stowe,
and the people were not very "kind" to me or my family, but
this time, it seemed like people were going out of their way
to be kind & nice and relaxed - good snow helped.

My daughter is quoted as:

        "They amped their kindness factor up"

I laughed, but had to agree - Stowe is now back on my radar as
a great place to ski that has a very diverse crowd of skiers/sliders
(saw a lot of tele-folk out there - and Bruno & I agreed to about that
it was ~70/30 split skiers to boarders - and pretty damm good set of
riders to boot).

but back to the skiing.

First run was down the bypass chutes - pretty darn tight at the top
with some toboggaining, but it opened up to some nice stuff, and
overall, I wish the top was a little more open, but hey, fresh
snow, sun starting to break out...hero kind of weather to me!

Second Run...I think it was Hayride/Tres Amigo Glades...very very
nice, again tight in spots, but overall, the snow was fresh,
and we all got a few fresh shots.

3rd run, I think this was "partridge" (something Jason likes - Bruno
said). Excellent snow, uneven line to keep track of, steep...another
good choice Bruno!

4th run, something called upper upper ???? (lift line - help me out
here Bruno - the one where we jumped over a fence and down into the
woods). Now this was a good call, some good freshies, and we had
also met up by this time with Kirsten's friend Adrien. Before it
was 1 skier, 2 boarders, but with Adrien, I was back even with these
incredibly good/fast boarders...inspired me to go faster, even though
my legs were burning by this time.

Next we did Chapel glades. Extremely good, best runs of the day in terms
of fresh powder (in fact, we did it twice - the second time going around
to upper Chapel glades where the drop in was very interesting (bruno thought
we entered too far left), but we had fun, and more cool freshies - another
brillant call there.

at some point here, we also picked up another boarder (Michael - friend of
Adrien's...very nice guy - hope to meet him again - with a helmet!).

We then met up with some of Michael's clan and did some of nosedive, then
dove into the woods left, then right of nosedive and found some very nice
snow and extremely cool stuff - about this time, I started noticing I was
getting a little stronger, and I was seeing the potential lines better (not
as good as Bruno & Kirsten, but they have more days than me on the snow -
by the end of Valhalla, I should be back to my old self - finding the right
stuff, and going for it...:-)

Then, leaving Michael & his clan, Kirsten & Bruno decided for me that we
were
going to do the Burke Trail...now this is very cool trail that winds out of
the resort, and into some beautiful woods. The trail is like skiing/sliding
should be: narrow trails, lots of bumps and etc, opportunities to jump
into the woods on occasion. The cruise out of those woods and back to the
mountain road was a haul, but overall, I'd say that this is definitely
something to do! I hear that wes and ?? like a side show of this called
WaterFall??? I didn't bring my skins, and Bruno/Kirsten didn't feel like
postholing it out of there. Some other time!

That left me at 1pm back at the mansfield lodge, having not stopped since
7:30...well, I was toast, said my goodbyes to Bruno, and off to sit down
and wait for my wife to pick me up and take me back to the hotel for a
jacuzzi before we leave to come home (2 3/4 hours from Route 100/89
intersection
to my house in Westford with 2 10 minute stops to stretch. I'd say that
was a perfect run down (not like going up on friday nite in the snow storm
which tooks up ~4.5-5 hours to get up to Stowe - all well worth it).

Thanks Bruno for the Guidework, and we'll be seeing you & kirsten on
Saturday!

all the best...

Tom