SKIVT-L March 2005, Week 3

Lost Trail Powder Mountain, MT, 13MAR05

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:49:04 -0700

After the intense snowfall on Saturday at Gash Point, I was excited to find
out how much new snow would be reported at Lost Trail on Sunday.  Their
early report indicated only two new inches, but the forecast suggested more
could be on the way during the day.  Weíd even picked up a bit more snow in
the valley, so I had snow-covered roads to content with on my drive up to
the pass.  When I arrived at Lost Trail, I found Bruce and family unloading
in the parking lot.  He was going to be skiing with his two sons and their
wives, and we planned to meet up by radio as soon as they had taken care of
some ski rental details.

Lost Trail was hosting a snowmobile hill climb competition of the MSSHA
(Mountain States Snowmobile Hill Climb Association).  I recalled the name
because they had ďMSSHAĒ on a big enclosed snowmobile trailer parked near
the base area, and I was trying to figure out what the letters stood for.
MSSHA even comes with their own ambulance, which seems like a good idea, but
makes one wonder just how crazy these races are.  Iíve never actually
experienced lift-serviced skiing at Lost Trail when theyíve had snowmobile
races going on, since they usually seem to have these races some time in
April the week after the ski area has closed.  E and I had hiked for some
late season turns on one of these weekends before, and the snowmobiles were
incredibly loud and annoying until we had hiked a good distance away.  On
Sunday, they had actually closed off South Face (the main slope above the
base lodge) for the race, so I was worried about what the noise would be
like while we were skiing.  Actually, the noise wasnít bad at all since the
snowmobiles were far enough away from most open terrain, and everyone was
treated to a thrilling show as they rode up Chair 1.  These guys were going
straight up South Face, which tops at a pitch of probably 30 degrees.  In
addition, they had to stay on a course marked with gates which included
various terrain features and a couple of huge jumps.  It was actually
amazing to see how fast these guys could go up such a steep hill.  So,
overall, I donít think the race detracted at all from the skiing, aside from
the closure of one trail.

Iíd brought both my CMH fat skis and my Pilot Hots, but I decided two inches
of new snow just wasnít quite enough for the fatties.  I took a quick first
run by myself in the bowl below Femur Ridge.  The bowl was virtually
untracked, but the new snow was over a firm base so it didnít feel much like
a powder skiing experience.  Just as I was dropping into the bowl, I got a
radio call from Bruce and I managed to meet him at the summit.

I joined Bruce and his family for a few runs in the Chair 2 area, and we
mostly stuck to groomed runs like Southern Comfort and Far Out.  They were
lightly tracked at this point, and skied much like the bowl from my first
run.  I was glad Iíd chosen to ride the Pilot Hots, because even with the
fresh powder, the skiing was a carving experience.  The Hots were totally in
their element, and I was able to slice and dice the terrain at will.  We did
take one run on the ungroomed terrain of Upper Thunder.  The bumps were
hard, and the choppy surface below the powder made for a more jarring ski
experience.  One run was enough for me (and I think everyone else) on
Thunder.  Lower Thunder was actually closed because it had not been groomed
in a long time, and the snow had become rotten due to sun exposure.  We
could see the tracks of a few people that had tried to ski it, and they
looked like the kind if nightmare turns that Bruce and I had dealt with on
Saturday at Gash Point.  I guess the ski patrol just decided to close off
the slope until either the grooming machines or Mother Nature could remedy
the situation.  Right next door however, the Lightning trail was in great
shape.  I hit the skierís right side along the trees and found some of the
softest snow up to that point.

The only regular trail in this area that seemed to be closed due to coverage
was Corkscrew under the Chair 2 lift line.  I had seen some areas of small
trees and moss begin to open up the previous weekend, and the warm week with
sun had really accelerated the melting out process.  Without the couple of
inches of fresh snow, it probably would have been a gruesome sight.  Snow
began to hammer down from the sky for a bit in the late morning, and we had
easily picked up another inch by the time we hit the lodge for lunch.

After lunch, we all headed off to Chair 4 for some long runs.  We got there
via Side Street, which had very few tracks and served up some nice fresh
turns.  We were still touching down on the base, but the new snow was
already making things better.  Parts of the trails near the bottom of the
Chair 4 (the ski areaís lowest lift station at 6,400í) had actually melted
out, so the patrol had roped off these sections.  Fortunately the new snow
had covered up the patches of ground, but it was still a little too thin for
safe skiing.

We skied a run on Sacajewea, which was one of the best of the day.  After a
brief hiatus, the snowfall had returned with a vengeance, and while we had
to battle fierce winds and snow on the ride up to the top of Saddle
Mountain, we were now skiing on about 5 inches of new snow, and I began to
think about switching over to my fat skis.  But, the Hots were still doing
great so I didnít bother.  We hit a final run down The Face, which had
horrible icy bumps under the new snow, and then dropped onto Super G.  Super
G was in great shape with few tracks, and we had the whole trail to
ourselves.  I think most people didnít want to have to deal with the
freezing Chair 4 lift ride, or the jarring ride down The Face to get to
Super G.  I left around 3:00 P.M., really happy that I had gone out for the
day.  It was actually one of my favorite days of the season, even though we
were only on about 5 inches of new snow.  Perhaps it was the hard training
on crust from the previous day at Gash Point, but my turns were on and I was
feeling really good.  It also helped to have the energy of skiing with a
group of six after so many days by myself.  I was also very impressed with
the Salomon Pilot Hots again.  They seem to do everything I ask of them with
no complaints.

The five inches of new snow was our first substantial snowfall in three
weeks, but the coming week is looking really good for more snow.  There are
actually winter storm watches out for western Montana from Wednesday night
into Thursday, which is a big deal because I donít even remember the last
time I saw any type of winter weather warning around here.  To put the
upcoming system into perspective, Iíll take a quote from the latest NWS
Missoula forecast discussion ďTHIS SYSTEM LOOKS STRONGER THAN ANYTHING OVER
OUR AREA THE LAST COUPLE MONTHSĒ.  So, thatís a pretty good sign that weíll
get something out of it.  Lost Trail has now dropped Thursdays from their
schedule as they begin to wind down operations for the season, so they are
only open Friday through Sunday.  Bruce was already talking about heading up
to the hill on Friday for some turns, so hopefully this system will pan out
and meet powder rule criteria.  Iím not even sure where to set the powder
rule the way this season has been, and I donít think Iíve taken a single
morning off work to hit the slopes.  If they get a foot of new snow Iím
certainly going to try to get up there for some turns.  Iíve pasted a little
more of the Missoula NWS forecast discussion below:

TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MAIN
FORECAST CHALLENGE IS THE COLD FRONT MOVING OVER THE AREA BEGINNING
WEDNESDAY EVENING.  THIS SYSTEM LOOKS STRONGER THAN ANYTHING OVER OUR AREA
THE LAST COUPLE MONTHS.  AS THE LOW PRESSURE TROUGH MOVES IN WEDNESDAY
EVENING...IT WILL BE COUPLED WITH A STRONG JET STREAM OVER THE AREA FURTHER
ENHANCING THE SYSTEM.  STRONG WINDS BEFORE AND DURING THE COLD FRONT PASSAGE
ALONG WITH SNOW IS EXPECTED FOR MOST OF WESTERN MONTANA AND CENTRAL IDAHO.
MOUNTAIN AREAS COULD SEE OVER A FOOT OF NEW SNOW OVERNIGHT ON WEDNESDAY
NIGHT...AND SOME VALLEY LOCATIONS COULD SEE 3-8 INCHES WITH THIS SYSTEM.

J.Spin