SCHOOL-IT April 2005

Re: desktop computers

BJORN NORSTROM <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:34:59 -0400

Platform is NOT immaterial. It's critical. Companies just do not hire a candidate who claims that they've only used Mac software in school but can easily learn PC software because of transfer of skills. If there is another candidate with certifications in Microsoft products, that candidate will be selected, assuming the other quualifications are equal otherwise.
The business world just does not care about educational philosophy. All
businesses care about is hiring the person that can do the job and can
provide tangible evidence validating skills they claim. That's reality,
regardless of what our educational philosophy we support. If our passion
for Macs and dislike of PCs gets in the way of providing our students with
the tools they need to succeed following high school, we are doing our
students a great disservice.We cannot pretend that a goal of education is NOT to feed competent and skilled workers to businesses.

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/12/05 10:18AM >>>
Personally, I see room for both.
I think focusing on something like A+ is  getting into minutiae. A+ is
for people who want to go into support. Most kids are not going to go
that route. It is an application world for the vast majority of users;
not an OS world. They need to be able to use word processing, database,
spread sheet, multimedia, layout, internet and many others. Platform is
immaterial here. There needs to be opportunities for kids that want to
go the IT route but if you can do the aforementioned things in one OS,
you can easily pick up on how to do them in another. There will be some
differences in some of the particulars but otherwise use the platform
that suits your situation. Let's not try to remake the world in our own
image so that everyone is Windows or Mac or Linux or whatever the next
big thing is. It is more important for the general student population to
be adaptable and know how to learn than it is for them to be experts in
one OS or another. The one thing guaranteed in technology is that it
will change and what they are doing now may not resemble what they are
doing 10 years from now.
Dave

David Tisdell. Computer Coordinator
Mt. Mansfield Union High School
211 Browns Trace
Jericho, VT 05465
802-899-4690 (Voice)
802-899-2904 (Fax)
[log in to unmask] (e-mail)

>>> [log in to unmask] 4/12/2005 9:55 AM >>>
I appreciate the great comments, but some may not be grounded in
reality. The matter of fact is that many colleges give credits to
students holding certifications in PC technologies such as A+, MOS, and
IC3. Moreover, businesses hire based on specific PC certifcations, again
such as A+, MOS, and IC3. By going the Mc route, we are not denying
students the opportunity to earn technology college credits while in
high school and an opportunity to get a decent job should they decide
not to go to college because they have no credential validating their PC
skills. It is no longer good enough to simply say that "i have general
computer skills" whether it's Mac or PC. Specific evidence validating
this is now a must. Simply stating that one has computer skills may have
been good enough only 2-3 years ago, but this is no longer the case. PC
and desktop certifications are no the norm.

This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  If this e-mail contains student information and you are not entitled to access such information under FERPA, please notify the sender.  Federal regulations require that you destroy this e-mail without reviewing it and you may not forward it to anyone.