Students Evacuated After Fire in Living/Learning
No Injuries Reported
One-hundred-and-one students were evacuated last night from Building C in
the University of Vermont's Living/Learning Center after a fire started in
a kitchenette at about 9:00 p.m. No injuries were reported.
The kitchenette is in room C170, a common area on the first floor that
also contains a living room and a laundry room. The fire was
Room C170 had significant smoke and water damage and was gutted. The six
suites above and one suite beside room C170 and the building's lobby also
suffered smoke damage. Damages are estimated at $100,000.
The students were housed overnight at the Holiday Inn on Williston Road,
with the university providing shuttle bus service to and from the campus.
The thirty-eight students who reside in the seven suites nearest the fire
will likely stay at the Holiday Inn for additional nights. The university
expects the other students will be able to return to their living spaces
during the day on Monday.
The UVM Campus Children's Center, which is located in a part of Building C
that did not see major damage, will be closed on Monday, as will faculty
offices located in that section of the building. It is likely that both
the center and faculty offices will reopen on Tuesday.
Updates will be posted on the home page as needed.