]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  April 2005, Week 3

SKIVT-L April 2005, Week 3

Lost Trail Powder Mountain, MT 17APR05 (Images)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:52:47 -0600

On Sunday I woke up to find that low gray clouds filled the sky, just as the
forecast had indicated.  Around 10:00 A.M., rain started falling, and soon
it was pouring.  Since Ty had been under the weather with a potential ear
infection during the week, E figured we shouldnít take him up for skiing in
such wet conditions.  Nevertheless, I was excited for a short hike and ski,
and it was also a chance to give my Arcíteryx Theta SK pants a good workout
under wet, aerobic conditions.  The Saddle Mountain SNOTEL suggested that
Lost Trail had seen as much as 8 inches of new snow during the week, so
there was at least a small chance of hitting some powder.  Unfortunately,
Saturday had been pretty warm (around 70 degrees F in the valley) so I
wasnít going to hold my breath for any dry snow.

When I left town (elevation 3,600í), it was 42 degrees F and still pouring.
With such weather in the valley, I expected it to be dumping up at the pass.
  Unfortunately, as I headed south (and upward in elevation), the
precipitation decreased, and the temperature dropped very little.  Even at
the base of Lost Trail Pass (elevation 5,000í) the car thermometer was still
reading 42 degrees F.  Finally, the temperature began to drop, and the rain
changed to snow at 6,200í and a temperature of 38 degrees F.  The Missoula
National Weather Service had called for a snow level of 6,000í, so once
again they appeared to be on track with the forecast.

At the base of the ski area (7,000í) it was 34 degrees F and barely spitting
snow, but the most obvious weather was the fog.  Visibility was down in the
range of 100 feet at times.  I checked out the snow surface at the edge of
the parking lot, and it was a combination a little new wet snowfall over a
hard refrozen base that had been chewed up by lots of snowmobile traffic.
The weather and snow conditions made me want to turn right around and head
home.  Still, even if the skiing was nothing special, the workout from the
hike was always good in its own right.  There were a few snowmobile trailers
in the parking lot, and several groups of snowmobiles were buzzing around
the mountain.

I had decided to try a new route today, heading up the Boomer trail, and
then up Lower Oreo/Oreo to the top of the ski areaís main ridge at 7,800í.
Initially, I was most interested in skiing some of the trees in the big bend
of the Oreo trail, but without substantial powder, I decided I might just
stop at 7,600í on top of the Bear Claw Ridge.  The last 200í of vertical
required at least 1/2 mile of additional hiking if I stayed on trail, and
the skiing probably wouldnít be worth it with todayís conditions.  I checked
the snow conditions in an undisturbed area further away from the parking
lot, and was happy to find several inches of new snow that had accumulated.
It was wet, but it would make for some good skiing if I could find some
higher up on the hill.

I started my skin up Boomer, and I could hardly see a thing through the
dense fog.  I was most worried about a snowmobile coming up on me really
quickly in the low visibility, but fortunately they make enough noise that I
would have had time to get out of the way.  Still, I could hear them buzzing
around on the trails and my senses were peaked whenever one appeared to be
coming closer.  The skinning was relatively easy on the snowmobile packed
slopes, but I still had to navigate through various bumpy snowmobile tracks,
which kept me switching my line.  As I approached Oreo, the fog began to
break, and the snowfall picked up.  These were both good turns in the
weather as far as I was concerned.  Continuing my skin up Oreo, I found some
smoothly consolidated areas of snow outside the snowmobile tracks, and they
made for fantastic skinning.  There was about 1/2 inch of new snow from the
dayís snowfall, but essentially it was like skinning on a firm, flat
surface.  Using this nice terrain, I skinned straight up even the steepest
sections of Lower Oreo.  I even used my Trekkerís highest angle of risers,
which are typically for terrain steeper than most people (including myself)
would consider tackling in powder.  Iíve learned from many experienced
skinners that a moderate skin track is the best.  However, on todayís
consolidated snow, such a steep angle was a walk in the park.  I was once
again impressed at what an efficient snow tool skins actually are.  At some
points I was amazed that I was climbing without slipping, but the full-width
Ascension skins on the CMH fats were definitely in their element.

Gaining the Bear Claw Ridge at 7,600í, I made the final decision that it
wasnít worth the effort of heading higher under the conditions.  The
snowfall had increased another notch, and I watched it accumulate in
interesting ways on the branches of nearby evergreens.  The temperature was
now down to 26 degrees F, and the wind was blowing from the north.  I
snapped a few photos, switched into ski mode, and headed down the skierís
right of Oreo.  Sticking to a strip of untracked snow outside the tracks of
the snowmobiles, I couldnít believe how good the turns were.  On top of the
firm base, there were a couple of inches of soft snow, which was noticeably
more than what I had encountered on my hike up the skierís left.  The
difference had to be due to the impact of the sun over the past few days.
After a few more turns, Iíd forgotten about the dreary look and feel of the
day.  I was skiing, and the snow was good!  The good turns lasted until I
reached the end of Oreo, which was fortunately most of my vertical.  Beyond
that, I had to deal with the rattling snowmobile-groomed terrain that led me
down to Boomer.  I did get a reprieve from the bumpy snow when I caught some
untracked turns underneath the cable for the Boomer handle tow, but the
terrain was getting bit too flat to do too much with it at that point.  I
didnít notice my pants during the entire trip, which is a great sign.  Of
course it wasnít snowing nearly as hard as I would have liked, so Iíll have
to wait for a tougher day to test their water shedding and breathability.

I left in higher spirits than Iíd arrived.  The day was still damp and gray,
but at least Iíd had the feel of smooth soft snow under my feet.  It looks
like the mountain picked up a couple more inches of snow after I left, based
on the SNOTEL data.  On my drive down the pass, the snow level had dropped
by about 1,000 feet, which is usually a good sign.  Also, there are winter
storm watches and heavy snow warnings out now for various parts of southwest
Montana.  It looks like some places could pick up a couple of feet from this
latest moist storm.  The Bitterroots donít look to be in the bullís eye for
this system, but they should make out with some nice accumulations.  The
mountains from Bozeman over toward Red Lodge look like they will get the
full brunt of the storm, but everyone should be happy with whatever snow
they can get; these are the types of storms that we really didnít see much
of through the heart of the winter season.  Overall, the pattern looks to
stay wet through at least Friday, so Iím expecting a chance for more good
turns next weekend.

It was a dark and dreary day for photography, but I posted a few pictures
anyway.  They can be seen at:

http://www.JandEproductions.com/2005/17APR05.html

J.Spin