Re: blog comments

Justin Henry <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Blogging <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 9 May 2005 14:46:07 -0700

Hi Daisy,

Daisy Benson wrote:
> How does the moderating work? It looks
> like the comments go to a place in MT (the Comments area), is that
> right?  Are they already posted at that point or would I do something to
> release/publish them or delete them if they are spam?

Turning on comment moderation  for unregistered users means that all
comments submitted by visitors (who don't have a TypeKey account) are
held in the Comments area until approved by you.  Once you approve a
comment it is displayed on the blog, but until then it remains hidden.

> Are there spam blocking settings?

Not in the sense that we have for email.  TypeKey is MovableType's
"solution" for spam, at this point.

> Can someone explain the Typekey thing in a bit more detail. This means
> people would have to register to send a comment? Can anyone register or
> is it somehow restricted to UVM?

TypeKey is an external authentication service, intended to allow blog
owners to require users to be logged in to comment (and thus decreasing
spam), and at the same time provide users with one sign-on account
across a large number of blogs (and so decreasing the number of
passwords people have to remember).

It not only requires the person submitting the comment to be registered,
but the blog owner must register their blog as well.  The service is
free, and not restricted to UVM - registering allows you to post on any
TypeKey enabled blog.

HTH,

-Justin