Re: My poor, pathetic, broken blog

Justin Henry <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Blogging <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 May 2005 00:14:16 -0400

J. Greg Mackinnon wrote:
> The main question I have is this:
> When you create entries in the mt.cgi, where do they go, if not to your
> public blog site?  My MT config claims that it is putting content in the
> correct location:
> /var/www/http/blogs/jgm (I am working from memory here)
> but when I run "rebuild site", nothing new gets posted there.  I shelled
> in to marmot, did a search for files in my blog space that had been
> recently modified, and found nothing!  There is a disconnect between the
> MT admin and public views.  Puzzling.

In theory, posts that haven't been "rebuilt" (that is, written to static
html pages), are stored in the database - which in our case is, I
believe, MySQL.

One thing I've noticed is that MT doesn't always have the best error
reporting - especially when it runs into problems during the rebuild
process. In some cases, it's been entirely silent when it encounters a
"fatal" error, leading one to think that the build has gone
successfullly, but in reality nothing has been written to the static
pages.

This may be why you don't see changes on the visitor side of the blog,
but do see them when you log in as admin.

-Justin

> I guess I can just wipe the site
> and start over, but I was really curious what went wrong.  Perhaps I wil
> start wading through the config files on the server later on...
>
> -Greg
>
> Justin Henry wrote:
>
>> I believe Rob had this happen as well. I'm yet not sure what the source
>> of the problem is, but I do know he had to have his blog re-installed
>> (hopefully you backed up/exported your content?).
>>
>> I've modified the posted "instructions" below to include a disclaimer
>> regarding overwriting an existing blog, and generally reccommend against
>> it until we know more.
>>
>> I have been able to restore the template over my own blog (and one other
>> person's), but I am unclear as to why these would restore fine while
>> others became corrupted.
>>
>> Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.
>>
>> -Justin
>>

>> J. Greg Mackinnon wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I've only been using my blog in earnest for a few days, and
>>> already I have managed to break it.
>>>
>>> I saw steve's nifty tabbed blog page a
>>> http://sjc.blog.uvm.edu/projectforum/, and asked him how I can do that
>>> too.  He pointed me to Justin's blog: