LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  May 2005, Week 1

COMMUNET May 2005, Week 1

Spying on the spyware makers

John Walker <[log in to unmask]>

Community and Civic Network discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 May 2005 18:55:29 -0400

Excerpt the CSS Internet News.

See end of message for details.

Starting 1 June 2005...

The Online Learning Series of Courses presents...

How to Search the Internet, Level 1.

For details send an email to

[log in to unmask] with sendinfo search1 in the subject line.

Spying on the spyware makers

May 4, 2005, 4:00 AM PT
By Declan McCullagh
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
http://news.com.com/Spying+on+the+spyware+makers/2008-1012_3-5694455.html?tag=nefd.lede

Ben Edelman may be spyware's most dangerous enemy.

The 25-year-old researcher has spent years analyzing how spyware and adware
programs work and publicizing his findings. That often results in red faces
and, occasionally, lawsuit threats from companies like WhenU and Claria,
formerly known as Gator.

When testing spyware and adware, Edelman isn't about to sacrifice his own
Windows XP computer. So he uses the VMware utility to create a virtual
Windows box.

"I infect the hell out of it," he says. "It destroys the infected machine."

A law student at Harvard University, Edelman is also working on a doctoral
degree in economics. CNET News.com caught up with him after he spoke at a
conference in San Francisco sponsored by News.com's sister site, Download.com.

Q: What got you interested in spyware in the first place?

Edelman: I took a call from the plaintiffs in the Washington Post case
against Gator. They thought what Gator was doing
was absolutely destructive to the availability of free content on the Web.
After all, if advertisers could buy ads from Gator to reach the Washington
Post's audience, who would buy ads from The Washington Post?

I happened to think they were right. But the case settled out of court on
the eve of trial, so we didn't find out for sure whether Gator's business
was legit.

It's absolutely fascinating to watch Symantec and McAfee struggle with this.

How much time have you spent since then on spyware-related topics?

Edelman: It's scary. It's what gets me out of bed in the morning right now,
more so than classes, more so than my dissertation research. I probably
spend 30 hours a week. It's been nonstop for the past 15 months. Before
that, it was quite a bit less intense.

What was the most interesting thing you've discovered?

Edelman: There's just a huge amount of money changing hands here. The
biggest, richest American companies are buying advertising through spyware.
The biggest, richest venture capital firms are investing in those who make
this kind of unwanted software. That's names like American Express, Sprint
PCS, Disney, Expedia, Guy Kawasaki's firm.

You're using the word 'spyware.' But you also mean the advertising-based
networks with pop-up ads, right?

Edelman: Absolutely right. My claim is that each of the so-called adware
networks has obtained installations and is still obtaining installations in
ways that offer such poor notice and obtain such limited consent--sometimes
none at all--that users can't fairly be said to have consented. If they
didn't consent, and their activities are being monitored or transmitted,
then that's spying.

Have you ever been threatened by spyware makers or adware makers?

Edelman: Yes. Some vendors have challenged the permissibility of my
methods. For example, Gator was awfully angry when I posted a Web service
that let any Web site operator see how Gator was targeting their site with
competitors' pop-ups. They sent a series of legal papers, complaints,
threats to me and my then-bosses at Harvard's Berkman Center.

I seem to remember that you had written some controversial software that
tested what one adware program was doing--I think it was WhenU.

Edelman: I can't comment about that.

Ask Jeeves seems to be an above-the-board company. What's your complaint
with them?
Edelman: The core problem is Ask Jeeves' installation practices. Sometimes
their software gets installed without any notice or consent at all through
security hole exploits. When they do ask for permission, they don't always
tell users everything they need to know to make an informed choice. For
example, when installing a Web browser toolbar, they use euphemisms like
"directly accessible from your Web browser" instead of the obvious and
natural word "toolbar."

You don't have any objection to pop-up applications like WhenU or Claria as
long as the user knows what they're getting?
Edelman: I have no comment on any matter pertaining to WhenU. As to Claria,
their core business seems to me to be troubling because it's so parasitic.
They can only show ads thanks to users requesting other sites, which get no
share of the revenues from those ads.

Suppose a site spends a million dollars on a Super Bowl ad or $3 on a
Google pay-per-click ad. Claria's pop-up then siphons away the resulting
users. This undermines the incentives for sites to promote themselves
through legitimate advertising.

Ask Jeeves has a search engine that nobody really wants to go to. To get
users to come, they push these toolbars.

What's the latest in terms of threats to anti-adware companies who label
certain software "spyware"?
Edelman: The background here is that historically users have been tricked
into getting all manner of unwanted software into their computers. Their
computers become slow, unreliable. Companies step in to help by offering
detection programs.

 From the perspective of the spyware makers, these detection programs are
bandits: They take the spyware off the users' computer after the spyware
makers have gone to such lengths to infect the computers in the first
place. So the spyware companies have been attempting intimidation tactics
to force the removers to omit removal of particular advertising software.

Name names. Who's been the most litigious?

Edelman: One of the few companies to file suit is Claria, which sued PC
Pitstop in 2003 alleging unfair business practices when PC Pitstop told its
users its view of Claria's software. And New.net took the novel approach of
suing Lavasoft in federal court.

Mostly, these threats don't lead to litigation. Either the spyware vendors
give up or they succeed in their intimidation tactics without having to go
to court. There have been at least half a dozen examples just in the past
few months.

It's absolutely fascinating to watch Symantec and McAfee struggle with
this. It's a very different problem from what they're used to. Virus
writers don't fight back.

You've been on the attack against Ask Jeeves recently. Why?

Edelman: They're getting installations from kids' sites. I've been trying
to figure out how these programs have such a large installed base: Who in
their right mind would agree to have their computer become a vehicle for
pop-up ads? It turns out that many of these programs target kids. They
advertise their software at kids sites. They bundle it with video games.
They use advertisement images like smiley faces.

Ask Jeeves has a search engine that nobody really wants to go to. To get
users to come, they push these toolbars. But if the toolbars are installed
without proper notice and consent, then the entire business collapses. They
have no legitimate business source of any substantial traffic to their Web
site.

Ask Jeeves just tries to get people to download their toolbar. Does that
make it spyware or adware?
Edelman: It's not exactly spyware like the others. It doesn't show pop-up
ads. As far as I know it doesn't track and transmit to its servers every
Web site you visit. Yet it uses equally tricky installation tactics.
(Editor's note: This week, CBS MarketWatch calculated (story is here; free
registration required) that Ask Jeeves is valued at $1.8 billion and
receives up to two-thirds of its search traffic from sources that also
distribute adware.)

How much money have you made by consulting for anti-adware companies so far?
Edelman: I've made enough to pay for law school.

What next?

Edelman: I don't know. I might end up teaching. I can see myself practicing
law, and potentially serving as some sort of a professional consultant.

---------------------------

Also in this issue:

- Ticket trap snares Windows users
   Windows users are being warned not to open a virus that poses as a
message from football    body Fifa.
- Future tech must protect planet
   In his final Reith Lecture, Lord Broers calls for the green agenda to be
given centre     stage.
- How to escape the phishing nets
   Phishing is becoming very popular with computer criminals. In the last
18 months the     character of the spam reaching your inbox has undergone a
subtle change. Slowly but     steadily the come-ons for porn and penis
pills are making way for bogus warnings about     problems with online
accounts - aka phishing.
- Pakistan - copyright piracy hub
   When Ameed Riaz - an enterprising young man from Karachi - bought EMI
Pakistan from its     parent company in England back in 1993, he probably
had visions of becoming the country's   music guru.
- US law targets online 'pirates'
   People who "pirate" music and movies on the internet in the US face up
to three years in    jail under a new law signed by President Bush on
Wednesday.
- 'Tagging' helps unclutter data
   Here's how we tend to organize our digital photos: We stick them into a
folder on our     computer and label it "Hawaii trip," or whatever.
- Light shed on 'unbreakable' code
   Australian scientists believe they have developed an unbreakable
information code to stop   hackers, using a diamond, a kitchen microwave
oven and an optical fiber.
- Soccer fans beware: Virus a click away
   It's the oldest trick in the virus writer's handbook. Promise free stuff
and they will     click.
- New twist on 'phishing' scam - 'pharming'
   "The pharmers are coming! The pharmers are coming!" Hang warning
lanterns all over the     Internet: It's under attack by a new scam.
- Hackers finding new ways to compromise PCs
   Hackers are finding new ways to hijack people's computers. The online
criminals turned     their attention to flaws in antivirus software and
media players like Apple Computer's     iTunes according to the Sans Institute.
- Panda Software Claims Zero-Day Virus Defense
   What is notable about Panda's announcement today is that the company
claims the software    can work effectively against future viruses and
spyware without having to be updated, a     claim hitherto unmade in the
antivirus community.
- Firefox Hits 50 Million Dowloads
   Open-source software provider Mozilla (mozilla.org) announced that its
Firefox Web browser   has been downloaded 50 million times since its
November launch. The company cites the     ceaseless efforts of its near
100,000-strong "Spread Firefox" campaign as the main reason   for the
browsers' stunning success.
- Internet Cuts Need for Bike Messengers
   Bicycle messengers once crowded downtown traffic to deliver court
papers, business     documents and blueprints. Today, only one such company
and one lone courier pump along on   any given workday in Maine's biggest city.
- The Man Who Brewed Up Java
   James Gosling sees new uses for the programming language he created 10
years ago, such as   making his home-entertainment system work right
- Spying on the spyware makers
   Ben Edelman may be spyware's most dangerous enemy. The 25-year-old
researcher has spent     years analyzing how spyware and adware programs
work and publicizing his findings. That     often results in red faces and,
occasionally, lawsuit threats from companies like WhenU     and Claria,
formerly known as Gator.

Member: Association for International Business