ISOGEOCHEM June 2005

Re: Conical vials for MultiPrep

"Stephen S. Howe" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Jun 2005 17:18:15 -0400

Toti:

I didn't weigh in on the "trapped bubble" issue earlier, but I will
now.  Our "prototype" MultiPrep was one of the first installed back
in 1996.  Even though GVI has made some modifications to the
orientation of the water trap and added a pump to assist in the
dispensing of acid, it has performed very well for nearly 38,000
dual-inlet carbonate analyses.  "Trapped bubbles" are a very rare
occurrence with our Wheaton vials.  I agree with earlier posters that
the phosphoric acid should have a slightly lower s.g. than the
classical value of 1.92, more like 1.88-1.89, to avoid bubbles and to
allow the acid to move through the silica capillary in a reasonably
short period of time.  This phenomenon also seems to occur more
frequently in those vials that have small tubules extending from the
bottom of the "V".

Concerning the shorter Wheaton vials and how they fit in the heated
rack, GVI years ago recommended using an additional aluminum plate, 4
mm thick, but of the same length and width as the heated rack, and
also drilled with 60 holes to match those of the rack, on top of the
rack.  The caps of the Wheaton vials rest on the upper surface of
this plate.  On top of this goes the lid.  Using this arrangement, we
have had no problems running carbonates and water samples by
dual-inlet.  Although we haven't done carbonates by continuous flow,
the MultiPrep needle does have to perform a similar multi-step
injection for dual-inlet water analyses as it does for carbonates by
continuous flow.

Steve