SKIVT-L June 2005, Week 1

Re: SLR Ski Bag

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 Jun 2005 12:41:11 -0600

>From: David Guertin <[log in to unmask]>

>Check out the Dakine Sequence.  I used mine for most of this ski season and
>was very happy with it. It holds an SLR body plus four lenses, flash, and
>accessories, with a small amount of room left over for maybe two light
>jackets, or a light jacket and a small lunch or a shovel. It does have a
>diagonal ski carry which I assume can double as a tripod sling, though I
>haven't tried that. The padded camera bag is removable, so you can also use
>it as a regular day pack, or use the camera bag by itself as a
>shoulder bag (though I rarely do that because all the accessory pockets are
>in the main pack). It does not have a hydration pack built in, so I just
>carry a water bottle.

>Mine has become my regular photo bag for non-skiing use, too. J. Spin has
>one, too, so maybe >he'll chime in with his experiences.

I really love my Sequence Pack, so I probably went on a bit long below, but
hopefully some of the information will be useful and supplement what Dave
said.

I got my Dakine Sequence pack around the same time as Dave, and I give it a
huge thumbs up for both the way it holds camera gear and the way it carries
skis.  The only other pack that I found in this category was the Burton Zoom
pack, which looked interesting (especially the amount and size of the
organizational compartments inside).  But, since I wanted this bag to be my
main pack for carrying skis, I was much more confident in getting a Dakine.
Dakine has got the art of carrying skis on a pack totally nailed down, and
the Sequence is no exception.  It is specifically designed to carry skis in
teepee formation, or diagonal formation, and it will also carry my snowboard
in vertical, or horizontal position.  It has well-designed, specific straps
for all four of these functions, and most of the straps disappear into
special pockets in the pack that seal right up with velcro when not in use.
So, even though the pack has so many options and straps for carrying stuff,
you can tuck them all away if you are worried about dangling straps getting
caught on trees etc.  I know you mentioned that you weren't too picky about
the ski carrying function, but you'll never regret having a pack design that
works as well as Dakine's.  I'll never go back to fumbling with various
compression straps made for other functions when I need to carry my skis.

In terms of the pack's other function, carrying camera and outdoor gear, I'm
also very happy with it.  I don't typically carry an SLR for skiing, so I
rearrange the dividers in the camera block to carry my smaller, SLR-like
digital camera, its telephoto lens, and a couple of small video cameras/head
cam.  Depending on what equipment I plan to carry, I often leave the camera
block out of the pack since it takes up most of the space in the main
compartment.  If I only have a couple of video/photo items to carry, I'll
just place them in individual padded bags in the pack.  As Dave mentioned,
the camera block is a nice bag in its own right, and I've also started using
it as a photo bag to throw in the car on trips.  I'll second the notion that
the Sequence is also just a nice all-around pack for carrying an SLR and
lenses.  My sister in law was visiting over the memorial day weekend with
her Canon EOS Digital Rebel and lenses, and she use the pack with the block
during a hike.  She found it really easy to use.

For me, the biggest incentive for getting the pack was to get my camera gear
organized (I was sick of my gear floating around and getting lost in my pack
that consisted of one big hole), so I'll talk a little bit about the various
compartments.  You've got the main compartment which holds the camera block,
and on the inside of the back panel there are three zippered pockets.  These
pockets are clear plastic, so you quickly know what's in there.  The pockets
are thin though, so they won't hold really bulky items.  There is a fourth
smaller plastic sleeve to hold small items like cards, ID etc., and then
there are several elastic loops that nicely hold pens, pencils, AA batteries
or similar items.  On the top of the pack, there are two pockets for smaller
items, a main pocket about the size of a couple of softballs, and a smaller
mesh pocket inside that that could hold a couple of pairs of glasses or
other little stuff.  There is a fairly large pocket on the back of the pack
that is designed to hold an avi shovel without the handle, but I often use
it for other items like hats, windbreaker etc.  You can really stuff a lot
into this pocket if you need to.  The final two pockets are on the sides of
the pack, one is a mesh pocket for your water bottle (which I prefer over a
hydration hose most of the time), and the other is a dual-zippered pocket of
similar size.  There is also a clip setup for carrying an avi shovel handle
on that side.  If one wasn't carrying an avi shovel handle, I bet you could
use this to carry a tripod.

Since you mentioned tripod use, I'll chime in with my tripod carrying
experience.  Perhaps the single event that convinced me to get a new pack
(and tripod) was a spill I took in a steep chute at Moonlight Basin's
Headwaters area.  The tripod I was carrying at the time just barely fit in
my pack, it was always a hassle to fit it in, and when it was in there the
pack was really strained.  Carrying the tripod on the outside was also a
hassle since there was no good way to attach it, and it would flop around or
start to fall off.  When I took my spill (which was somewhat of a head over
heels affair) I found that my pack was actually wide open when I came to a
stop, and I attributed part of the opening to the way the tripod was in
there.  Amazingly (and extremely luckily), none of my gear was gone when I
finally checked my pack, but I vowed to get a setup that would be bomb proof
even in situations like that.  I shopped for a tripod that would still
extend to nearly full height for adults, but that would collapse down to a
very small size to easily fit inside my pack with no complications.  I
eventually found Manfrotto's 714SHB, which collapses down to only 13.8
inches, but can still extend to 4 feet in height.  This tripod easily fits
inside my Sequence pack, and its so small that you could probably even
squeeze it into the camera block depending on what else was in there.  It
even fits in my Mountainsmith fanny pack!  The beauty of having a tripod
that collapses so small, is that you will bring it along when you otherwize
wouldn't.  I have definitely found this to be the case, and so have many
photographers (even professionals) that gave reviews on the web.  It only
holds up to 5.5 lbs, and it may be a bit top heavy if an SLR with something
like a 300 mm lens is on there, but its at least in the range I would
suggest.  Whatever the case, if you want to carry a tripod for ski
photography/videography (and you want to enjoy whatever skiing you're
doing), get something small that can either be put inside your pack or
attached extremely unobtrusively and securely to the outside.  Even the best
tripod won't get used on the slopes if it's a hassle to lug it around; it's
just far too easy to convince yourself to leave it at home, and you won't
get the shot you want.

J.Spin