VTBIRD Archives

July 2005

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Matthew Medler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:29:12 -0700

I was rather disappointed by this article, which I found to be unbalanced. Although the focus of the article is on the colony on the Four Brothers, there is no mention of the fact that colonial waterbird species diversity has *increased* on these islands since cormorants started nesting there. Instead, we are told that the species can ruin habitat for other species, and that species diversity on Vermont's Young Island has decreased to "only gulls and cormorants."

And, while there is the requisite quote from a charter boat captain about the cormorants, I find it odd that the reporter apparently did not make the effort to interview the man who served as the manager of the islands for many years--Mike Peterson. I would think that he would be able to provide more meaningful insight about cormorants and the entire bird community on the Four Brothers.

Matt Medler
Charlotte, VT