VTBIRD Archives

July 2005

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
- Maeve Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 17:47:21 EDT
For today's Loon Watch, I was assigned two lakes in the Northeast Kingdom. No
loons, unfortunately - BUT I spent a while watching three three-toed
woodpeckers, getting a very good look at one adult from less than 12' away and then
watching this bird feed one of two others that stayed in deep shadow. None of
the birds seemed concerned at all about my presence, and I watched for many
minutes before they all flew back a bit farther into the woods.

If anyone wants directions, let me know. It was pretty much the back of
beyond, right near New Hampshire, surrounded by nothing but deer camps   (and deer
flies). In the mud where I was standing were the tracks of deer, moose, bear,
some weasel-y thing, and a large canid - no marks of tires or Tevas!

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center