]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  July 2005, Week 2

SKIVT-L July 2005, Week 2

(some-VT) season done; summer, finally: the tally and other assorted

"John Crowley, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:55:15 -0700

I know it's midsummer in much of Ski-Vt nation, and lots of this is
hazy already, but I just skied yesterday and our warmest summer-like
months in SF don't arrive until September and October (putting
thoughts of "next ski season" a very long ways off...).

Did anyone do this already?  I don't recall much of it, if so.

************

Seasonally speaking...

Alpine Meadows 5
Alta 2.5
Bear Valley 1
Jackson 2
Killington 5
Kirkwood 1
Mammoth 2
Mt. Rose 1
Snowbird 2.5
Squaw Valley 6
Stowe 0 (dubious addition based on purported May 1 closing)
Sugar Bowl 12
Timberline 1 (last August on Mount Hood)

Aug 1
Oct 1
Nov 2
Dec 3
Jan 6
Feb 7
Mar 7
Apr 9
May 3
Jun 0 (surfing, ballgames, fishing, cycling; just those summer plans
made months earlier)
Jul 3

Ski-VT roll call (chronological order):
My brother Jim
Dr. K
His Editorship
Todd F
Jonathan S
TEO**
Denis B

** not skiing; over reebs and pizza on his way to Shasta through SF

Injuries / old issues:
My back felt good this year, probably because in the West we had so
much snow at times and there was no need to foolishly wail down a
bumpfield to access some coveted shot elsewhere.  Except for at
Jackson, in Tahoe at one brief point and hitting Utah at the end of
their dry spell, there were always coveted spots close by - or so it
seemed.

I "twinged" my knee in deep wettish snow at Sugar Bowl in January, and
it never felt right again all season.  Other than skiing, as
recuperative behavior, I recall not being able to bike ride very
comfortably on the morning of the Super Bowl - since then, it's
improved greatly, but bothers on long rides or climbs in alpine gear
(see "S, Jonathan" below).  Finally in March went to a sports-ortho
MD, who with MRI analysis said it looks fine, but that 10% of ACL and
other assorted knee problems aren't seen on images.  I'm either taking
a while to heal (those born in the 60's perhaps, or earlier, know what
I'm talking about) or I'm in the 10%.  I've officially decided to not
worry about it, but realize it's there (much like my back, with two
surgeries, since the 80's).

Boots:
After years of super tight foam race liners in my boots, I went to a
traditional style liner and kept the same shells (I discussed this
some months ago here).  I could more easily finesse certain kinds of
turns, but likely gave up pure edging "performance" on really hard
snow (though I didn't really see any of that until Mammoth on
Independence Day weekend, and then it was only for a run or two in the
early morning).  The new setup was better for warmth and comfort and
probably felt better in rough terrain (I could use/flex my ankle some)
rather than all impact going to my knees, hips and back (hmm...
perhaps that's why my back felt better (?)).

Customer service / value / the ski areas:
Squaw Valley, as usual, has to rank at the bottom for customer
respect.  Most of the employees do a very good job, but some are
awful.  I especially like the patrollers who can intelligently discuss
what they're doing about snow control issues while riding the chair
(this happened several times when they were not busy on the radio,
etc., of course).  I especially do not like those who think I am
skiing on "their powder", questions about whether it's actually powder
notwithstanding.

And, as usual, the smaller ones were great.  Bear Valley, Mt. Rose,
Kirkwood and Sugar Bowl, especially.  Best value was probably my
SugarWood pass (Sugar Bowl-Kirkwood 6-day pass); of somewhat
questionable value at the outset, but in hindsight worthwhile, was
probably Killington for $39 for skiing in May.  We got weather waylaid
heading for the Rockpile that morning, the snow surface was
challenging sugar and bumps, but fun... and we also got in some
hike-corn on Dipper.  Overall, considering the options, a good day.

Interesting "find" were the "Chutes" at Mt. Rose.  I will definitely
try and go back for those next year.

Sidecountry / backcountry:
Memorable day with the Shefftz brothers at Kirkwood.  And then later
with them along with my brother at Lassen.  Once again, Jonathan S
scolded me for not having light enough gear.  And TEO said I should
have joined him and Jerm next time on one of their adventures.  All
true, but for commitments to my current equipment, financial rationing
and to those with whom I work; and, of course, to other important
people (not that those guys are not...).

Siblings:
Skied with Jim a bit this year, even though we are a continent apart.
This included skiing in Utah and then invading my sister's place in
Jackson for several days on the same trip (aside: nothing like two
older brothers being bossed around by their younger sister in her
hometown for a few days).  Highlights there included
meeting/greeting/re-acquainting with members of the JH women's hockey
team.  We even watched a practice and tried to guess who-was-who
underneath all the gear.  Thankfully, to help us out, we noticed that
the "hockey hair" long locks style of the great white north is still
"in" for women.  Another highlight was the great skate ski we had
heading north in the (Teton) Park along the range north of the
Village.  Spectacular views, weather and workout.

Vermont / New England / Northeast, etc.:
There's nothing like being home during the holiday season and finding
out just where you are technically.  Ice / humidity, trees, all that,
combine to expose whatever might not be just right.  Though I never
skied MRG that frequently and I'm finding it harder to get there every
year it seems, that place exemplifies this the best.  I miss that.  As
for everything else that makes MRG what it is - I was glad to see the
shareholders decided to preserve the Single.

And finally, as Denis B pointed out, I need some plaid.