Re: Local backup and privatizing

Justin Henry <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Blogging <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Aug 2005 12:05:59 -0400

Stefanie Ploof wrote:
> I understand that the Moveable Type blogs are backed up on the server side
> (or, maybe not), but I am interested in making a local backup copy of
> Roger B's weblog in the off chance that the military asks that it be
> removed from the web.  Are there instructions for backing up a Moveable
> Type weblog?

There are instructions for doing a standard MT backup available here:

http://www.uvm.edu/~blogging/?p=14

You could also use the "TypeMover" plugin (linked in the plugins section
at the bottom of the admin area when you first login) to create a backup.

Note that neither of these solutions include any images or other media
However, they will let you restore into another MT blog, and even, in
the case of the former method, into other blogging systems such as
WordPress.

To retrieve this non-textual material, you might consider using
something like wget[1] or HTTrack[2] to grab the website as a whole (or
just the media).

> Also, is there a way to make the Moveable Type blogs "private" so that
> only registered users have access to the content of the blog?

I'm pretty sure there's no method available for this "out of the box" in
MT, and I haven't seen any elegant plugin implementations as of yet ...

Hope this helps,

-Justin

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/manual/wget.html#Examples
[2] http://www.httrack.com/