HowTo: Podcasting with MT and Wordpress

Wesley Alan Wright <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Blogging <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Sep 2005 17:51:07 -0400

Some of you have figured this out already. I just did today. There
were a few gotchas, so I thought I'd pass them along.

Podcasting is nothing more than

1) putting an audio file on a web server
2) announcing the URL of that file in a blog post
3) providing an RSS2 feed that summarizes the items posted to the
blog. People subscribe to this to download this and future podcasts

Using Movable Type:

Podcasting with MT requires the MT MT-Enclosures plug-in. Thankfully,
our blog elves have already installed that for everyone, so the rest
is relatively easy.

Uploading the audio file to your Movable Type blog space seems to
work pretty well to satisfy step 1. After you upload it, MT gives you
the option of creating a new post with a link to the file. Since this
is exactly what you need to do for step 2, it might be a good choice
for many folks. My only complaint about this approach is I haven't
yet figured out how to rename or delete uploaded files to blog.uvm.edu .

But The audio file can go anywhere: it doesn't need to be uploaded to
your blog. Your normal zoo "public_html" space works just as well.
Once uploaded, make note of the URL for step 2

Examples: I have audio files here:

     http://www.uvm.edu/~waw/blog/wp-upload/AnneWilliamSong1.m4a
     http://waw.blog.uvm.edu/archives/AnneWilliamSong1.m4a
     http://waw.blog.uvm.edu/archives/alien.mp3

Your post needs to include the audio file URL as a link, so if you're
are mucking around with links by hand, it needs to look like this

AnneWilliamSong1.m4">Anne and William</a>

THE QUOTES around the URL are very important: Movable Type doesn't
know what to do with the URL unless they are there. If you upload the
file via MT and allow MT to generate a skeleton new post for you
using the newly generate URL of the uploaded file, it puts the quotes
in for you.

Here's an example

     http://waw.blog.uvm.edu/archives/2005/09/annewilliamsong.html

The final piece is a one-time only alteration to your RSS2 template
and maybe to your index template. The RSS2 template needs <
$MTEntryEnclosures$> inserted in the <item> </iteM> section. I put it
right after pubDate.

<MTEntries lastn="15">
<item>
<title><$MTEntryTitle remove_html="1" encode_xml="1"$></title>
<description><$MTEntryExcerpt encode_xml="1"$></description>
<link><$MTEntryPermalink encode_xml="1"$></link>
<guid><$MTEntryPermalink encode_xml="1"$></guid>
<category><$MTEntryCategory remove_html="1" encode_xml="1"$></category>
<pubDate><$MTEntryDate format_name="rfc822"$></pubDate>
<$MTEntryEnclosures$>
</item>
</MTEntries>

Edit the template, save the changes, rebuild the template.

I also needed to add an RSS2 link to my Main Index template. I put it
right under the "Syndicate this site"

Rebuild again. The URL of the RSS feed looks something like this

     http://waw.blog.uvm.edu/index.xml

Subscribe to that with iTunes, get my podcasts.

With WordPress

OK, most of you are probably using MT, but I like WordPress.

Podcasting with WordPress is pretty easy. You can try uploading your
audio file using WordPress Upload file feature, but it will balk and
say "file xxx.mp3 of type mp3 is not allowed." No plug-ins are
necessary: just create a new post with a link to the URL of the audio
file, and you are done.