Re: Blog Questions

Justin Henry <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Blogging <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:04:44 -0400

Hello Marie,

Marie Christine Potvin wrote:
> There is a few questions remaining that I would like help with:
> 1) How do I make a backup of it?

There are instructions for doing a standard MT backup available here:

http://www.uvm.edu/~blogging/?p=14

Note that this will only back up the textual content of your blog.
Images, templates, and configuration data is not saved.

> 2) How can I change it's name back to http://tripscy.blog.uvm.edu/ without
> looking anything?

There isn't really a simple way to change the name - what you would
have to do is to actually move the blog at
http://tripscy.blog.uvm.edu/tabbed/ to the root, at
http://tripscy.blog.uvm.edu/ ... a process which we have seen mixed
results with.

An alternative is to redirect visitors from http://tripscy.blog.uvm.edu/
to http://tripscy.blog.uvm.edu/tabbed/.  One way to do this is with
javascript.  I don't have specific instructions for that handy, but I'll
follow up when I do.

> 3) How can we make the calendar work in this template?

It looks like you were able to get it working, but here are some
instructions for future reference.

Assuming you want the calendar to be at the top, above any of the
sidebar sections. If you go to "templates" in your admin area for your
blog, you should be able to scroll down and find a link to "sidebar"
near the bottom.
right below the "<div id="sidebar">" line, put this code:

calendar">
<caption><$MTDate format="%B %Y"$></caption>
<th abbr="Sunday" align="center">Sun</th>
<th abbr="Monday" align="center">Mon</th>
<th abbr="Tuesday" align="center">Tue</th>
<th abbr="Wednesday" align="center">Wed</th>
<th abbr="Thursday" align="center">Thu</th>
<th abbr="Friday" align="center">Fri</th>
<th abbr="Saturday" align="center">Sat</th>
<MTCalendar>
<MTCalendarWeekHeader><tr></MTCalendarWeekHeader>
<MTCalendarIfEntries><MTEntries lastn="1"><a
href="<$MTEntryLink$>"><$MTCalendarDay$></a></MTEntries></MTCalendarIfEntries>
<MTCalendarIfNoEntries><$MTCalendarDay$></MTCalendarIfNoEntries>
<MTCalendarIfBlank>&nbsp;</MTCalendarIfBlank></td>
<MTCalendarWeekFooter></tr></MTCalendarWeekFooter>
</MTCalendar>

Save the template, and "rebuild".  The calendar should now show up on
the side.

Note that the above code was taken from the help file, which you maight
find useful if you wish to customize your calendar:

http://jhenry.blog.uvm.edu/mt/docs/mtmanual_tags.html#calendar%20display%20tags

> 4) Can we move the Announcement Tab to the top of the right column?

The sidebar sections are really just entries organized by date, with the
most recent entry at the top.    So, to change the order, go to entries,
and click on the "Announcements" entry.  Scroll down and find the date
field, and set the date to say, today's date.  Save the entry and view
the site, refreshing your browser if necessary.

Note that if you implemented the calendar as above it will only be able
to show up above or below the sidebar sections.  So for example you
won't be able to have the calendar show up between announcements and links.

> 5) How can we make the Search box work?

It looks like you've got the form working, and so I'll assume you're
asking about how to format the results. Unfortunately, the documentation
suggests
that you would need to both edit the mt.cfg file, and be able to put
files in an search_templates/ folder on your blog.  Since for various
resons, users don't have access to either, customizing the search
results page does not appear possible at this point.

Hope this helps,

-Justin

--
Justin Henry