]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BLOGGING Home

BLOGGING  September 2005

BLOGGING September 2005

Re: Help Creating podcasts with Movabletype

Wesley Alan Wright <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Blogging <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:35:50 -0400

On Sep 29, 2005, at 9:47 AM, Timothy Fox wrote:

> 1.  I need a way to enclose cover art, and information about the
> podcast to publish to the iTunes store.  I read Wesley description
> on how to do this but it is greek to me!

Hey, Timothy:

Sometimes the Greek is better explained in person than via email. I'd
be happy to sit down with you and see if we can work out the details.

In the meantime, I said:

>         The final piece is a one-time only alteration to your RSS2
> template and maybe to your index template. The RSS2 template needs

You need to go to your MT Administrator interface at

     http://tfox.blog.uvm.edu/mt/mt.cgi

Click on the "Template" link (in the "MAINTAIN YOUR EXISTING WEBLOGS"
section, just under "ENTRIES")

     http://tfox.blog.uvm.edu/mt/mt.cgi?
__mode=list&_type=template&blog_id=1

Click on "RSS 2.0 Index"

In the big text box labeled "Template Body", find the line that
begins with "<pubDate>" . Copy this magic text

     <$MTEntryEnclosures$>

and paste it just below the line that begins with "<pubDate>". Now
rebuild your indexes.

This will at least "enclose" your media file (mp3 or m4a) in the RSS
2.0 file subsequently found here

     http://tfox.blog.uvm.edu/index.xml

This is just enough to let iTunes find and download your podcast --
but not quite enough for the Album Art and other iTunes goodies.

For those, we consult the Apple documentation at

     http://phobos.apple.com/static/iTunesRSS.html

Now, to be honest, I haven't tried these additions yet, but it looks
like you need to go back to your "Rss 2.0 Index" template.

Change the second line from this

     <rss version="2.0">

to this

     <rss xmlns:itunes="http://www.itunes.com/DTDs/Podcast-1.0.dtd"
version="2.0">

and right after the line that says

     <docs>http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss</docs>

add this

     <itunes:image href="http://tfox.blog.uvm.edu/archives/
my_uploaded_image.jpg" />

The value for href, of course, will be a valid JPG or PNG file. This
is your cover art

There's probably some other stuff, too, you could put in -- but this
should be enough. Save your index, rebuild again

> 2.  I can upload my enhanced podcast to my blog ( it is a .m4b file),

m4b. m4a. Yuck. The apple documentation cited above says

     Supported extensions include "m4a", "mp3", "mov", "mp4", and "pdf".

But this reference suggests otherwise

     http://www.voxmedia.org/wiki/PodcastChapterTool#M4B_versus_M4A

I used m4a in my examples

> but it ends up as a txt file.

Interesting. What did you use to upload the file? MT?

Rename the file m4a and try again, see if you get different results

| Academic Computing Services       __0__                             |
| Room 238 Waterman Building       / \ | \                            |
| University of Vermont              \77                              |
| Voice:802-656-1254 FAX:802-656-0872  vv                             |
| aim:goim?screenname=maddogskideath      http://www.uvm.edu/~waw/    |